The Student Room Group

Uni - biggest disappointment ever??

Just a short tale from a 3rd year looking back on the uni experience with jaded eyes for those who are interested.

Uni was supposed to be IT, the pinnacle, the culmination, a breath of fresh air after the hell that was school/college. Life would start when I wove my parents goodbye at my new uni halls and became a student. I'd left college determined not to go to university, such was my hatred of the rote learning and unenthusiastic teachers I found to be the norm there. Yet after travelling and then getting an office job that was going nowhere I eventually decided to go to uni, 2 years after my peers but better late than never, or so I thought.

I can remember how excited I was. I'd never really got on with anyone at college or school (being judged to be 'different' or'weird' and hence bullied in school and ignored at college). Uni would change all that - I'd meet intelligent, mature young people eager to learn whilst up for having a good time as well. I honesty thought I'd find my niche, find people I'd really click with. Hell, all the judgemental morons have been whittled away at this level, right? Everyone says that uni days are 'the best of your life,' right? I bought it, hook, line and sinker.

That was 2008. I'm now in my 3rd year, just about to finish my penultimate semester. And truth be told I haven't enjoyed uni and can't wait to leave. At times the prospect of finally getting out of here and starting work has been the only thing that's made me happy.

The reality has been that there have been just as many prejudiced idiots up here than there were at school (plenty of racists too, which shocked me coming from multi-culti Birmingham). Plenty of people who've never so much as read a book, been to a museum or watched a subtitled film. Instead all people seem to be interested in is drinking, constantly getting hammered, sex and 'pulling girls.' There are HUGE numbers of immature people, people who think knob gags are the height of humour. My uni (Hull) is good for Politics (my course) but even there my course mates tend to be argumentative and un-receptive to others' views. Basically, the same sorts but slightly cleverer.

Sure I like getting drunk and going clubbing every so often. But as a lifestyle? And like the odd risqué joke too. But all the time? Nope. And boy have I tried - I've been to every single society I was even vaguely interested in, introduced myself to loads of people (something that doesn't come naturally to me) and gone along to parties and socials even when I was ill and tired all in the desperate hope that if I went then I'd finally find 'my' crowd, my sort of people. I never did. Just drinking games and more sex jokes.

My 3 years of uni have most definitely NOT been the 'best of my life.' There's no one up here I'll be making much of an effort to keep in touch with (at most 2-3 people). No one up here I'll miss that much. I won't miss the uni or the town.
Sometimes I wonder - would I have been happier if I'd gone to a different uni? A more well-rounded one academically perhaps, or one in a nicer town? The tales I hear of what goes on in other unis makes me think - probably not. I've given up on it all now and am just working really hard on my dissertation and final modules. I gave up hope long ago.

In short? Without a doubt university has been the biggest disappointment of my life.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well congratulations on sticking it out for 3 years... I guess. :unsure:

Seriously, I admire your sticktoitiveness sir (or madam)
Original post by Joinedup

Seriously, I admire your sticktoitiveness

*tenacity
Reply 3

But in all seriousness. That sounds rough. Im in first year and tbh so far its been pretty sucky. I hope i find a little bit of sunshine soon. But i guess its winter and what not...
Reply 4
Each to their own I guess, I'm first year and am so far absolutely loving it, certainly is the best time of my life so far.

But everyone has different experiences, as said before - well done for sticking it out for 3 years at least.
Reply 5
1st year = best year of my life eaaaasily.
Original post by djm-uk
<snip>

I absolutely agree with you, I thought going to university I will find like minded people, in truth, i have ended up sticking to the internet, where I can talk to like minded people. Australia is a drinking culture, and I don't mind that, but no one is interested in talking, or debating about politics, ideologies, or ethics, I even took up some philosophy units, only to find, people either didn't care, or they only believed in one ideology, and were insistent that you agreed to it as well.

It doesn't help that I have aspergers, and I always feel like I am left out of the circle. I am questioning whether I should move to another university, or somehow get a job.
Do you go to a university with "metropolitan" in the name?
I'm sorry you haven't had a wonderful time. I have quite a few friends at Hull University and used to wish I had gone there [it was my insurance] as they have been having a blast. But, different strokes for different folks and all that. :smile:

Personally, I wouldn't call these past few years the best in my life. I probably preferred college much, much more. That said, I think they've been beneficial - I am in a completely different place to when I started in 2008 and actually have a plan for the future, which is novel for me lol.

I hope you can find some positives about your experience. And, if not, at least it is nearly done with... :smile:
you'll be out soon
"argumentative and un-receptive to others' views" I know someone in Politics at Hull, third year, it's probably him you're thinking of here. :awesome:

Anyway, that sucks. I'm in a similar position I guess. Very few people I really get on with here. I attached myself to a group of "friends" in first year who I don't have anything in common with, seriously regretting that now. I wish I had met more people. People I meet now all already have friendship groups, for the most part.
Reply 11
I found it to be a massive disappointment. I dropped out after my first year - wish I never went in the first place tbh (or maybe went to a different university to do a different subject)...it was a complete waste of time and money and I'm much happier now. =/ College was way better.
stick 2 it mahn :smile:
I can understand a lot of what you're saying. I'm at St. Andrews, and have only really enjoyed the course, not the rest of the experience, despite it being very, very highly rated for student satisfaction.
Original post by djm-uk

tl;dr you are an anti-social misanthrope with a very high opinion of yourself and a low one of other people who, after being anti-social and unpopular at school, rationalised this failure by denigrating the people who shunned you and assuring yourself that your brilliance, intelligence, maturity, with and wisdom would be recongnised once your reached university.

Then you got there and realised people still disliked you for pretty much the same reasons as before - your misanthropy, general condescenscion, arrogance and anti-social personality.

In short, the problem is you, not them or the university experience. Something tells me you are far less intelligent, mature, sophisticated and interesting than you think you are.
Reply 15
As a rule of thumb, I'd say uni is like a house party - it's what you make of it.
Reply 16
Original post by djm-uk

Instead all people seem to be interested in is drinking, constantly getting hammered, sex and 'pulling girls.' There are HUGE numbers of immature people, people who think knob gags are the height of humour. My uni (Hull) is good for Politics (my course) but even there my course mates tend to be argumentative and un-receptive to others' views. Basically, the same sorts but slightly cleverer.

I get you..u should kno that the ppl that told u is the best thing in life were prolly part of all that mentioned above...
And I bet some ppl here are reading this goin " omg - that-sounds-*high pitched*awesommme"
Reply 17
Not as disappointing as your mother last night HAHAHAHA I'm so alone.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Do you go to a university with "metropolitan" in the name?

She said it was Hull, and people can have a bad time at good unis too.
Look on the bright side, you haven't got long left there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending