The Student Room Group

work rosters / rotas whatever you want to call them

I was just wondering, those of you who have jobs, part time or full time when do you get your rotas/ rosters/ schedules... Whatever you want to call them :tongue:

As in how far in advance do you know what days you are working and not working etc.

I've worked in 3 cinemas and in theory, from what I've been told they are supposed to be distributed on a tuesday and have your shifts from friday to thursday.

This makes planning anything quite difficult, anyone have the same experience?

What makes it worse is when you expect the rota on a tuesday and it doesn't get emailed, till say wednesday evening, or thursday even as that has happened in the previous cinema! (right now I'm sitting here waiting on the rota so I can plan my life, maybe book some driving lessons, spend time with the partner but no such luck!!)

I just wanted to know how common it is to get your shifts only 2 days before, so I know whether I'm making too big a deal of it? My partner has her shifts for the next month! I don't even know what days I'm getting off over christmas (christmas eve, boxing day etc) :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm the exact same, just got my shifts for this weekend last night. No idea when I'm working over xmas either so can't plan anything.

It's pretty bull****.
Reply 2
@ Maplin, ours are displayed online, at leas a month in advance..
I get mine a day or so in advance for the week. It depends on the company, the other job I had was the same ecept I think it was 2 weeks in one go.
They put 4 weeks of rotas up at one time, so in theory we know up to 4 weeks in advance what our hours will be. They may as well not bother though as they always change hours and days last minute, leave boxes blank etc. it's so frustrating.

In my last job we had 2 weeks of rotas up at any one time.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Ours go up on the Wednesday, Thursday or Friday for the following week starting Monday. Often I don't see the rota until Saturday if I'm only working weekends. It really annoyed me when I first started, but now I don't mind it. Although yes it makes it difficult to plan things in advance, it also means I can make last minute changes and request days off without having to plan ahead. So it works both ways.
Reply 6
Original post by aleathiel
I was just wondering, those of you who have jobs, part time or full time when do you get your rotas/ rosters/ schedules... Whatever you want to call them :tongue:

As in how far in advance do you know what days you are working and not working etc.

I've worked in 3 cinemas and in theory, from what I've been told they are supposed to be distributed on a tuesday and have your shifts from friday to thursday.

What makes it worse is when you expect the rota on a tuesday and it doesn't get emailed, till say wednesday evening, or thursday even as that has happened in the previous cinema! (right now I'm sitting here waiting on the rota so I can plan my life, maybe book some driving lessons, spend time with the partner but no such luck!!)

I just wanted to know how common it is to get your shifts only 2 days before, so I know whether I'm making too big a deal of it? My partner has her shifts for the next month! I don't even know what days I'm getting off over christmas (christmas eve, boxing day etc) :redface:

I work for a cinema and it's the same - get the rota on a Tuesday for yours shifts from that Friday onwards. I agree it's the most annoying thing ever, but I need the job lol (I left and had to come back because I was skint). What's even more annoying is that they haven't put the Christmas rota up yet, which wouldn't bother me that much, but my family live 180 miles away from me and I can't even plan when I'm going to see them or for how long until they sort this bloody rota out! :angry:

2 of the other places I've worked did the rota the week before (so 7 days warning) and the other job I've had was for an agency so they only called you a couple of days before (or sometimes on the same day) to see if you could work a shift.
Ours come out on the third Friday of each rota, and we get it on a 4-weekly basis. So we would have got last Friday the rota starting from next Monday for four weeks. It came early this time though because of christmas, how nice :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by _Shanice_
I work for a cinema and it's the same - get the rota on a Tuesday for yours shifts from that Friday onwards. I agree it's the most annoying thing ever, but I need the job lol (I left and had to come back because I was skint). What's even more annoying is that they haven't put the Christmas rota up yet, which wouldn't bother me that much, but my family live 180 miles away from me and I can't even plan when I'm going to see them or for how long until they sort this bloody rota out! :angry:

2 of the other places I've worked did the rota the week before (so 7 days warning) and the other job I've had was for an agency so they only called you a couple of days before (or sometimes on the same day) to see if you could work a shift.

You're cineworld, right?

They put the xmas rota up for us last night, thank god! I got xmas off...well xmas eve and boxing day.
Reply 9
My rota at Nike is put up 4 weeks in advance. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by aleathiel

Well I work Wednesdays and Saturdays at a coffee shop and I generally find out my shifts for the following week on a Saturday afternoon just before I leave. It's not ideal as they continually put me in for a 10 o clock start on Wednesdays (impractical as I don't finish college until half 10 -_-), and the full-timers find out their shifts way in advance. I think it's just the rule of most jobs that part-timers don't really get the same treatment :s-smilie: God knows why.
Reply 11
Original post by watchingtherain
Well I work Wednesdays and Saturdays at a coffee shop and I generally find out my shifts for the following week on a Saturday afternoon just before I leave. It's not ideal as they continually put me in for a 10 o clock start on Wednesdays (impractical as I don't finish college until half 10 -_-), and the full-timers find out their shifts way in advance. I think it's just the rule of most jobs that part-timers don't really get the same treatment :s-smilie: God knows why.

So true!! Part timers generally tend to get the late shifts too.
I work friday-sunday nights. Our rotas are put up two weeks in advance on the friday :yep:
Ours are put up at work weeks in advance. Currently they're up until the week ending with the New Year, and they've been up for about a month now.
Original post by Nayberay

It gets really annoying to be honest, they always assume because i'm part time that I have nothing else to do with my life. Every week they ask if I can work the late shift on a sunday (which is always really busy), despite me repeatedly telling them no, sunday is the only day I get off a week. Their response? 'Oh yes, but you're only at college, it's not as if you're actually working...'

:banghead:

Reeeeally wish I didn't have to work there.
Reply 15
Our rota runs from Sunday to Saturday, and we usually find out our shifts on the Saturday so not much notice, however it's pretty much always the same people that work on a Sunday so it's more like two days if that makes any difference :p:
Reply 16
Ours usually goes up between Wednesday and Friday for the next week starting Monday. There was a period when it constantly wasn't being done until the Saturday for the next week, it didn't bother me so much though cause I work the same shift every Friday and it gave me a week to plan things for the Saturday. Over Christmas and summer they'll get put up well in advance though because it's generally busier and she does it just in case she doesn't find the time when she'd usually do it. I know all my shifts up until boxing day and they were put up last week some time.
I think they put the schedules up one, max two, weeks in advance. I only work Thursdays/Saturdays though, so I don't see them till late on [the week runs from Sunday-Saturday]. However, I have set contracted hours, so it isn't that much of a problem for me...

At my old job, they used to put them up three weeks in advance. Again, I worked set hours. However, they decided to schedule people in lots of extra days during Christmas/New Year but refused to put up the rota until 1 week before Christmas! When I checked it, they had made it so I only had Christmas Day and 1 other day off during my two-week school holiday. I wasn't impressed to say the least lol... :/
Original post by Nayberay

Definitely understand this. It is as though they think you don't have anything else going on in your life when you work part time. I am fed up of being asked to work overtime - I did an extra 18 hours a few weeks back - and when you say no, they usually expect you to come up with a reason why you can't work it. Urgh. I work the hours I signed to work on my contract... That should be all the justification they need lol.
Reply 19
Ours is up until New Years Day at the moment and has been since I started on the 4th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending