The Student Room Group

The big wikileaks thread

UPDATE: Clickable Guardian guide through database of leaks

As title. There's a huge amount of information being released in the next few hours. This information is explosive, I've started this thread as a place for everyone to discuss this potentially game-changing event. For some background I've C+P'd from the Telegraph.

telegraph
The Sunday Telegraph has learnt that the first tranche of documents, to be published in full tomorrow after an initial release tonight, are expected to feature "lively commentaries" by US diplomats on world leaders, including Nelson Mandela, Robert Mugabe, the Zimbabwean president, Hamid Karzai, the president of Afghanistan, and Libya's Colonel Muammar Gaddafi of Libya.

Coalition sources say Tuesday's haul will deal with North and South Korea, as well as Guantánamo Bay, while Wednesday's tranche will include comments on Pakistan and counter-piracy operations in Djibouti.

I've started the thread in general discussion in order to circumvent debate&discussion house rules.

I follow wikileaks on facebook. Here is the most recent update.

Wikileaks (20 minutes ago - 5pm)
We are currently under a mass distributed denial of service attack. (DDoS)
El Pais, Le Monde, Speigel, Guardian & NYT will publish many US embassy cables tonight, even if WikiLeaks goes down.

Anyone else excited? This must be big - there is no other way to explain the amount of official reaction to this. Secret services have already paid a Swedish woman to make allegations of rape against Wikileaks founder, Julian Assange, in a poor attempt to discredit the organisation. This DoS attack on wikileaks tonight is almost puerile.

We must remember the effect that transparency had on MPs expenses scandal. This can only be a force for good in the world - a democracy is dysfunctional if voters cannot judge governments by their (secret) actions.

The impact on Obama will be particular interesting. Perhaps some indiscretions of his (not so secret) opinions of the UK will come to light.

If you see any good stories following the wikileaks please post below. I currently have these ones.

Telegraph

BBC
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is Wikileaks the most successful Troll in the history of the internets? Maybe we'll see in the next few weeks :holmes:
I'm looking forward to Obama's comments on David Cameron.
Original post by MoanyLisa
Has anyone downloaded that file Wikileaks put up on PirateBay? Apparently if Julian Assange is killed, you'll be able to open up the file. It's all rather intriguing.
On a side note. If rumours are true that Turkey has aided Al Qaida, what should be done with our Nato ally?
And what of the alleged 'corrupt senior politicians'?

Ahh yes, I've heard about that 'life insurance' file. It's on Pirate Bay, is it? I'd call him paranoid, but with the amount of stuff Wikileaks have released, I can understand his reasoning.
Reply 4
Original post by Addzter
Ahh yes, I've heard about that 'life insurance' file. It's on Pirate Bay, is it? I'd call him paranoid, but with the amount of stuff Wikileaks have released, I can understand his reasoning.

I've never heard about this, very interesting. Is it encrypted or something??
Reply 5
Has anyone downloaded that file Wikileaks put up on PirateBay? Apparently if Julian Assange is killed, you'll be able to open up the file. It's all rather intriguing.
On a side note. If rumours are true that Turkey has aided Al Qaida, what should be done with our Nato ally?

Also raises some very important questions about whether we want this country in the EU. Perhaps one of the consequences of the wikileaks will be giving the Austrian-led No to Turkey campaign the ammunition needed to prevent accession of what is in effect; a hostile state. If it achieves that I'll buy the man a beer. Everyone should have the right to know this stuff is going on. The UK government officially supports Turkish accession to the EU; does it know about the Turkish Al-Queda link? If it does, there's some very difficult questions to be answered.

And what of the alleged 'corrupt senior politicians'?

These secret service attacks against Julian sums up what they're up to imo.
Reply 6
Original post by RyanT

http://erictric.com/2010/11/25/wikileaks-urges-public-to-download-insurance-file/

I think it's the documents they're releasing soon [today?]. Maybe getting people to download the files first is part of his plan to release it all (I guess if Wikileaks goes down - they have been getting DDOS attacks).
Original post by RyanT

Yeah, it's a 2GB encrypted file that Wikileaks have released, which will be unlocked by a code that will be revealed if Assange is killed. To be honest, it sounds like a bluff to me (if they've got such Earth-shattering information, surely they'd release it) but if it's legit, it's probably something major.
Well this will probably make the next U.N meeting rather awkward.
Original post by RyanT

Yeah I would imagine if he was murdered then someone would release a key to the encryption. Very Dan Brown like.
Reply 10
Original post by Addzter
Yeah, it's a 2GB encrypted file that Wikileaks have released, which will be unlocked by a code that will be revealed if Assange is killed. To be honest, it sounds like a bluff to me (if they've got such Earth-shattering information, surely they'd release it) but if it's legit, it's probably something major.

I think it is the information they are releasing soon. I mean, what else is there to keep secret after this stuff is released?
Reply 11
Original post by Broderss
I think it is the information they are releasing soon. I mean, what else is there to keep secret after this stuff is released?

Rather sinister when you think about it. Perhaps this next release is just a tip of the iceberg?
I think Obama said that he could take Mandela in a fight and that president karzai smells. :getmecoat:
(edited 13 years ago)

You mean the embassy cables? What makes you think it's that? Apparently, the whole reason for this secret encrypted file is so that governments have a reason not to assassinate Assange, and if that's true, he's going to make sure the information inside it only gets released if he is actually killed.
Reply 14
I'm just waiting for 4chan to join in.
I don't think they would assassinate him somehow. I mean it would be quite blatant that they are trying to silence him. Also wikileaks could easily carry on without him all it is is a website which provides a platform for people to leak things. You could easily set up another website if you were good at computers and could protect it from cyber attacks. It would be far more effective of them to attack the website and his character which they are already doing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Addzter
You mean the embassy cables? What makes you think it's that? Apparently, the whole reason for this secret encrypted file is so that governments have a reason not to assassinate Assange, and if that's true, he's going to make sure the information inside it only gets released if he is actually killed.

Didn't think of that. I thought it would be in case Wikileaks goes down he still has a stream to release all this information. Could all be a big bluff though - which is pretty smart. But in any case if this file is a reason not to kill Assange and the governments know it's not the cables, there must be many more darker secrets we have no idea about :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Most of the files were htings people knew about all ready and very few of them were actually above for offical use only level.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/8166248/Wikileaks-US-referred-to-Mahmoud-Ahmadinejad-as-Hitler.html

'Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is referred to as "Hitler" while President Nicolas Sarkozy of France is called a "naked emperor" in US documents released by Wikilieaks on Sunday.'
Didn't think of that. I thought it would be in case Wikileaks goes down he still has a stream to release all this information. Could all be a big bluff though - which is pretty smart. But in any case if this file is a reason not to kill Assange and the governments know it's not the cables, there must be many more darker secrets we have no idea about :s-smilie:

Like I said in another post, I reckon it's a bluff and there's nothing important in the file, but if there is then yeah, it must be pretty top secret...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending