The Student Room Group

Top Ten Reasons for UK Unemployment!

I know there are a lot of scroungers and it does annoy me when people abuse the system. For example it bugs me when people on the dole can afford tattoos, get taxis everywhere and have Sky. However there are many more who would like to work but simply can't. These reasons are my suggestions as to why:
1. Increasing feminisation of the labour market-'women only care jobs' or 'waitresses wanted'. The younger and better looking a woman is the more chance she has. Can you imagine a nursery employing a man?
2. Unions (GMB for example) are virtually useless-happy to take your money though, but only care about the more 'skilled'/prestigious workers.
3. Most jobs DEMAND you have a car. How many doleys at the joke-shop have cars.
4. Discrimination against the disabled (no matter how small)- I got turned down by an agency because I declared I took prozac.
5. Ageism- I was once told I was too old for a trainee office job because I was too old_ I was 19 at the time! Credit where its due the JobCentre had a go at them for that!
6. Nepotism (favouritism of friends and reliatives)- Believe it or not the Councils, NHS trusts and well known supermarkets are the worst offenders for this! I can understand a corner shop/newsagent/Chinese takeaway doing it!
7. Employment agencies who advertise non-existent jobs. WHy is this not illegal?
8. the minimum wage is not enough! There is little honour/romance for those concerned about struggling on low wages (especially in areas with high cost of living). Also on less than £6ph, you can forget about buying your own house or starting a pension!
9. Poor working conditions. Eg:heavy lifting, unpaid overtime, bullying, anti-social hours, safety being comprimised to meet targets etc
10. Despite what a lot of right wingers suggest-not everyone has the resources to start their own businesses. You need loadsa money, expertise and contacts before you even get started (eg legal fees etc etc)
I am not going to blame immigrants as it's the greedy bastards who hire them because they're cheaper are to blame.
Does anyone else have any suggestions or stories they would like to share?
Reply 1
I often see many job oportunities aimed at people in their late teens, not just apprenticeships, generally entry level jobs. However I haven't seen quite as many for people in their 20's.

Perhaps companies are not able to offer as many entry level jobs as they would like, at the moment they can only hire people with experience.
I don't agree with all of that: the majority of jobs I see aren't specifying a gender. There are a few care jobs but not most. The majority I have applied for aren't demanding you have a license either. I see a few training jobs that specify they are looking for people aged 17-18 but again, not the vast majority.

I don't know about the discrimination one but just in case I never mention anything I don't legally have to. Like in the disability one I don't say I'm diabetic, I figure that can't favour you in an application so why bother mentioning it if I don't have to.

The minimum wage is enough to live on if you're getting full time hours. I only have experience of this when I was over 21/22 where you get the higher minimum but still - if you get full time minimum wage, there's only you to keep and you can't live on it, you're doing it wrong! After tax on about 37 hours in a shop last year, £6/hr I was getting £190 a week. You mightn't have much saved at the end of the day and I wouldn't like it for 10 years but...

Having said all this I still can't get a job! For me I think the main problem for the jobs I'm applying for is over-qualified people getting the jobs that don't require much. I'm not looking forward to coming back after Xmas and start looking again.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
But, similarly, there are many 'male' orientated jobs discriminated against women too, are there not?

I haven't actually seen as many jobs that say male only. I see a few care jobs that ask female-only but hardly ever male-only. Maybe men don't care as much, I used to visit a care home where I worked but saw elderly men getting looked after by female carers.
Reply 4
Original post by Jenny_Jazz
I often see many job oportunities aimed at people in their late teens, not just apprenticeships, generally entry level jobs. However I haven't seen quite as many for people in their 20's.

Perhaps companies are not able to offer as many entry level jobs as they would like, at the moment they can only hire people with experience.

Yeah when I was 20/21 I noticed that a lot, mostly wanted 16 year olds for supermarkets due to the low minimum wage.

Even now I saw modern apprentices(whatever they are called these days) wanting full time staff for like £1.75 a hour!

Original post by Sprockette
I haven't actually seen as many jobs that say male only. I see a few care jobs that ask female-only but hardly ever male-only. Maybe men don't care as much, I used to visit a care home where I worked but saw elderly men getting looked after by female carers.

No, I agree with OP, when I go into shops its hugely female staff and they are the majority, you cant say that men dont want to work in these positions and even if they had less applicants, you cant say the amount less means there isnt a single good male member of staff there.

I think legally they cannot discriminate based on gender without a valid reason but that doesnt mean they wont find a reason why.

Why do you think there is more barmaids than barmen? Its for eye candy to get the male punters in.
Reply 5
I think confidence has a lot to do with it aswell, I know quite a few people that have just reached the give up stage because nowadays even minimum wage fast food restaurants have stupid expectations.
Reply 6
Some good points there, OP. Agree with most of them.
Reply 7

Seemed relevant.

Ohhh
and btw, you dont need loads of money (as in yourcapital, as can get from bank), or much expertise etc. The accounts and legal stuff for a sole proprietorship are really not that hard, and it only fits that if the business grows so much that you need help, then they will naturally come from the expansion of the business anyway.
I know because I helped my dad set up his self employed gas & heating business a few years back when i was only like 16, he had only done GCSE's (thought thatw as relevant, just to show he is no legal genius etc).
Not all jobs people 'create' even need ANY money really, take self employed people.. most of the time all they need are tools, vehicles + expertise, which they will all have.

But i do agree.
Reply 8
Original post by drbluebox
Yeah when I was 20/21 I noticed that a lot, mostly wanted 16 year olds for supermarkets due to the low minimum wage.

Even now I saw modern apprentices(whatever they are called these days) wanting full time staff for like £1.75 a hour.

Yes, I think it's quite worrying especially for graduates.
Original post by drbluebox
No, I agree with OP, when I go into shops its hugely female staff and they are the majority, you cant say that men dont want to work in these positions and even if they had less applicants, you cant say the amount less means there isnt a single good male member of staff there.

I think legally they cannot discriminate based on gender without a valid reason but that doesnt mean they wont find a reason why.

Why do you think there is more barmaids than barmen? Its for eye candy to get the male punters in.

Sorry, I thought he meant job adverts usually for carers that said 'female applicants only *insert reason for it not being anti-discriminatory here*'.
Reason for graduate unemployment:

Dead-end internships.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
But, similarly, there are many 'male' orientated jobs that discriminate against women too, are there not?

Like what? The point is there would be such outrage if there was even the slightest suggestion.
Original post by Tommyjw

Seemed relevant.

Ohhh
and btw, you dont need loads of money (as in yourcapital, as can get from bank), or much expertise etc. The accounts and legal stuff for a sole proprietorship are really not that hard, and it only fits that if the business grows so much that you need help, then they will naturally come from the expansion of the business anyway.
I know because I helped my dad set up his self employed gas & heating business a few years back when i was only like 16, he had only done GCSE's (thought thatw as relevant, just to show he is no legal genius etc).
Not all jobs people 'create' even need ANY money really, take self employed people.. most of the time all they need are tools, vehicles + expertise, which they will all have.

But i do agree.

Have you heard/seen/read the news in the past year? Banks refuse to help out people who want to start up small businesses. Btw, if i started up tomorow I am liable to get done for tax evasion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending