The Student Room Group

Footage proves disabled protester case

This is pretty disgusting of the officers involved!:mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfR6MlhOSTw

New footage has emerged validating the allegations made by a disabled demonstrator, who said the British police dragged him from his wheelchair and pulled him across a street during tuition fee protests.

The 20-year-old freelance journalist, Jody McIntyre, had earlier said a single officer tipped his wheelchair twice and pulled him “quite violently” on a road during London protests against government's decision to triple university tuition fees.

The footage was released online after McIntyre, who suffers from cerebral palsy, appealed for all witnesses to the incident to offer any related evidence for the attack, which was just one among several cases of reported police use of excessive force during the rallies outside parliament.

Following the disclosure, the Metropolitan Police said the case of abuse against McIntyre has been referred to the force's internal directorate of professional standards for further investigation.

McIntyre said he has collected witnesses statements and the badge number of the officer involved and he will take the case to the court while also lodging a complaint with the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

He also hit out at the police saying they are “out of control" and that there was “plenty of violence towards students” on Thursday though he said it is “standard police behavior”.

Despite pressure on the police for its brutality during the rallies which victimized another 20-year-old, Alfie meadows, leaving him with bleeding on his brain, Scotland Yard has refused to offer any apology or sign of easing its handling of possible upcoming protests.

While Scotland Yard has already announced that 'troublemakers' will be subject to stop-and-search operations, its chief officer in charge of monitoring the handling of the demonstrations, Bob Broadhurst, said they would be “foolish” to rule out the use of tactics like water cannon.

The force is also understood to have asked for “up-to-date advice” from the Police Service of Northern Ireland on water cannon.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Difficult to comment without a longer clip to see if there had been any provocation but I'm struggling to come up with anything that would deserve that.

What annoyed me more though was the anchorman - what a wan ker :mad:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Logi
Difficult to comment without a longer clip to see if there had been any provocation but I'm struggling to come up with anything that would deserve that. Typical police though. What annoyed me more was the anchorman - what a wan ker :mad:

A journalist who is in the wheelchair can hardly do anything provocative as he's vulnerable position himself and wouldn't put himself in danger.
The BBC interviewer is a bell end.

It's blatant bias, towards the police.
Reply 4
That interviewer is a ****ing prick. Trying to justify the police doing that to a guy in a wheelchair who can't even move it himself is ****ing retarded. More retarded than the guy in the wheelchair. Also trying to accuse the guy of throwing stuff at the police when he can't even wheel his own chair? Wow.

The lad actually seems quite intelligent, considering he's disabled.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Disgusting.

Shows that the violence at these protests is provocted by police to discredit students in an attempt to discourage public support.
I'm not going to say it's ok, and I am not defending it or anything, but I do think its a bit silly for someone in a wheelchair to go to these protests, given the violent nature of the previous ones
Right, during the protest the allegation was made that this guy was pulled out of his chair and beaten by police.

Then I saw a picture of him right at the front of the crowd acting as much of a **** as the other trouble makers who were making a concerted effort to be violent.

In that clip I see what looks like a struggle with him ending up on the floor and even then he still seems to be trying to resist until he's dragged, then the clip ends.

Bit of a non-story really - if that's 'police brutality' then you need to look at the Police in the rest of Europe.

It wouldn't suprise me also if he didn't exactly try to stay in his chair, simply because it would serve him much better if he could accuse the police of brutality.

Edit: So he's also a revolutionary who believes in direct action on the streets; hmm, I doubt he was on his best behaviour that day.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Shortarse1
Right, during the protest the allegation was made that this guy was pulled out of his chair and beaten by police.

Then I saw a picture of him right at the front of the crowd acting as much of a **** as the other trouble makers who were making a concerted effort to be violent.

In that clip I see what looks like a struggle with him ending up on the floor and even then he still seems to be trying to resist until he's dragged, then the clip ends.

Bit of a non-story really - if that's 'police brutality' then you need to look at the Police in the rest of Europe.

It wouldn't suprise me also if he didn't exactly try to stay in his chair, simply because it would serve him much better if he could accuse the police of brutality.

Edit: So he's also a revolutionary who believes in direct action on the streets; hmm, I doubt he was on his best behaviour that day.

if you could find the picture that would help to solve this mystery (:

but i don't think saying "oh well, soviet Russia had it worse" is really the best approach, because by British standards, people feel like the police are behaving in a really out-of-order way towards relatively harmless students - like those in wheelchairs - assuming he was actually harmless
(although in some cases riot control is defo justified)

edot: just watched the video. anchorman was a complete idiot - even if McIntyre had shouted something, did that really justify him being pulled out of his wheelchair/dragged across the road? anchorman seemed determined to show that it did.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10

in terms of him being a violent ****, not really sure what that proves tbh
there does seem to be a lot of debate about what the pictre actually shows; my response to that would be the actual video footage
Reply 11
Just a question seems he isnt a student. Why was he at the protests? Surely he was putting himself in harms way?
Original post by |Sam|

Original post by |Sam|
Just a question seems he isnt a student. Why was he at the protests? Surely he was putting himself in harms way?

You don't have to be a student to protest against raised tuition fees.
Original post by Broderss
That interviewer is a ****ing prick. Trying to justify the police doing that to a guy in a wheelchair who can't even move it himself is ****ing retarded. More retarded than the guy in the wheelchair. Also trying to accuse the guy of throwing stuff at the police when he can't even wheel his own chair? Wow.

It is possible to be both in a wheelchair and intelligent. Prof. Stephen Hawking has done ok don't you think?
Reply 14
Original post by donuticus
It is possible to be both in a wheelchair and intelligent. Prof. Stephen Hawking has done ok don't you think?

This.
Reply 15
Srsly that reporter pissed me off.
Original post by Lovely88
A journalist who is in the wheelchair can hardly do anything provocative as he's vulnerable position himself and wouldn't put himself in danger.

Yeah. Journalists never put themselves in positions of danger.

****ing dummy.
Original post by Broderss

:s-smilie: Stephen Hawking?
Reply 18
Original post by donuticus

Original post by Craiky1506
:s-smilie: Stephen Hawking?

Am I not allowed to complement a disabled? You're supposed to make them feel better about their terrible, unfortunate, often pointless lives not put them down by saying they're not intelligent and the only intelligent person in a wheelchair on this planet is Stephen Hawking. You're both worse than the interviewer. It's pitiful, actually. I pity you.
Jody McIntyre is a British Activist and freelance journalist, he placed himself at the front of the demo then bleats "poor me poor" when he gets pulled out of the way. Just exactly what are the police meant to do when faced with stones and bottles being pelted at them - ask them politely to move out of the way. He shouldn't have been there in the first place. It is an insult to other disabled people if he chooses to use his disability for sympathy when he put himself in a potentialy volatile situation.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending