The Student Room Group

Mechanics vs. Statistics

Scroll to see replies

Mechanics is easy if you get it. Statistics has the option to just regurgitate everything.
Reply 21
Original post by pappymajek

pappymajek, majikthise, llpokermuffinll and all of the above,
thank you so much.
I really appreciate your opinions.
I think that I'll go with Statistics!!

Really, THANK YOU! You guys have chosen me a path towards my future. :smile:
I promise I'll try to pass it with an A!
Original post by aylin9311
No not yet, I'm about to take them on May/June

Are you just doing the AS then? You have to do C1 and C2 so do S1. It's easy. What board are you on?
Reply 23
Stats is a little boring, but is actually useful in a large range of non-science subjects.

Mechanics is interesting, and something every self respecting human being should know, but is of limited academic use outside of physics.
Reply 24
Original post by py0alb
Mechanics is interesting, and something every self respecting human being should know, but is of limited academic use outside of physics.

I was going to disagree and say that all you need from mechanics is to know Newton's laws, but thinking about it all of A-level mechanics is basically "given f=ma, fill in the rest" anyway!
Reply 25
Original post by majikthise
I was going to disagree and say that all you need from mechanics is to know Newton's laws, but thinking about it all of A-level mechanics is basically "given f=ma, fill in the rest" anyway!

conservation of energy is also a pretty useful concept.
as are velocity and kinematics, resolution of forces, momentum, magnus force etc etc.

Understanding this stuff at a reasonable level helps you do all sort of things, from throwing a frisbee to playing pool to propping up a ladder to levering open a manhole cover to...

Quick Reply

Latest