The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rajandkwameali
Does it matter if they don't? Are people too silly to accept that others are different from them?

You just worry for someone who doesn't even know things like who the prime minister is. And when you're half way through your 20th Century Germany history course and someone asks who Hitler is, it makes you start to despair.

They can be as different from me as they like but I don't want to have conversations with people that stupid.
OP is right, most women these days are really dumb. Alot of guys are too, but it seems the majority of them are women.

However, coming onto a student forum about this isnt the best idea.
Original post by lizlaz350
You just worry for someone who doesn't even know things like who the prime minister is. And when you're half way through your 20th Century Germany history course and someone asks who Hitler is, it makes you start to despair.

They can be as different from me as they like but I don't want to have conversations with people that stupid.

then don't. why have conversations with people you don't get on with?
then don't. why have conversations with people you don't get on with?

tbh, I don't know what the point of your replies are. All I was stating in my first post was that I knew plenty of girls without any general knowledge. It's not like I stated an opinion in that post.
Reply 264
Original post by Holly Hiskey
As I'm sure you know, since you stated that you go to a good university, one paper is not enough; there is probably one somewhere which says exactly the opposite. I wouldn't describe the question as being "open ended" and the way you phrased it made it sound very biased. Also, I'm sure that you know from writing essays that you never references newspaper articles if you want to be taken seriously, and should instead go for the original paper (even on TSR, since someone will try and pick you apart somehow anyway). Admittedly I'm rubbish at that sort of thing because I can't be bothered, but a quick google search shows that you might have been better off using this as "proof": http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W4M-44N3M18-2&_user=10&_coverDate=02/28/2002&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1579003368&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=bdec56bcaf2ea4de35db137554c343a6&searchtype=a
But even then, you're unlikely to win friends since the way you write makes you comes across as sexist and biased.
Good day.

The thing is, not many papers will be done on this topic for a few good reasons and the only people who will pursue this research will be due to their own interest.
The explanation for this is quite simple. Who wants to fund someone to prove that women have a lower general knowledge as this would only brand them as sexist, even in the face of conclusive results (as this thread has shown), and secondly, what is to be gained from saying women have a lower general knowledge? This is why I just went for that article referencing the paper, but yes, I do see your point and even though I do not mean to be biased, I do have a tenancy to come across that way. :frown:
tbh, I don't know what the point of your replies are. All I was stating in my first post was that I knew plenty of girls without any general knowledge. It's not like I stated an opinion in that post.

My opinion is that this thread is *******s, and that the he and you are dim to even worry about what others know and don't know.
My opinion is that this thread is *******s, and that the he and you are dim to even worry about what others know and don't know.

It was merely an observation. Which I balanced out by stating that I knew many boys with an equal lack of general knowledge.

If we need to stop worrying about what others know and don't know, then all the wannabe teachers on here should stop bothering. It is something that does need worrying about. What does it say about the state of our society if people don't even know simple things?
Reply 267
Boys are mean.
Original post by Jimbo1234
The thing is, not many papers will be done on this topic for a few good reasons and the only people who will pursue this research will be due to their own interest.
The explanation for this is quite simple. Who wants to fund someone to prove that women have a lower general knowledge as this would only brand them as sexist, even in the face of conclusive results (as this thread has shown), and secondly, what is to be gained from saying women have a lower general knowledge? This is why I just went for that article referencing the paper, but yes, I do see your point and even though I do not mean to be biased, I do have a tenancy to come across that way. :frown:

I would disagree and say that the key to this is a balanced argument. For example, you started the thread by saying women can't do general knowledge. The paper I gave you said that women get lower scores in certain things but higher scores in others eg Family. In the discussion you could then discuss whether this is due to how our brains are wired or if it's due to our upbringing and perceived social roles. That wouldn't be sexist. Also there are many papers about the differences in gender, I don't see how the topic of general knowledge would be any different.
As for coming across as biased... surely you realise??
It was merely an observation. Which I balanced out by stating that I knew many boys with an equal lack of general knowledge.

If we need to stop worrying about what others know and don't know, then all the wannabe teachers on here should stop bothering. It is something that does need worrying about. What does it say about the state of our society if people don't even know simple things?

I couldn't care less. I think the OP and all people like him are fools, since people are different. Some people are more vapid/shallow, and people also value knowledge differently. Not everybody has equal knowledge in every area either, and interests are subjective. I don't see how meeting vapid women (which is just one of many personality types of females nay human beings in the world) causes anybody any specific or great harm or distress.

Your comment on teachers make no sense, since persons always need to be taught skills, in whatever area/facet of life.

Latest

Trending

Trending