Scroll to see replies

I got an offer for Engineering this afternoon ^_^

Definitely going to be my firm choice!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by blackpot
I think I'm a pretty good candidate tbh...5 As at AS, predicted 5A*s...and I haven't heard.

That's obviously more than pretty good but tbh in Durham terms not so exceptional it'd guarantee you an early offer.

Also the History department use your PS and reference too, especially the PS as they want to see what you think about History and what you're interested in - everyone will be predicted at least 3 As, usually more than 3 and including A*s (although they're not really taking into account A*s as they've only been given out for 1 year so nobody can really tell how accurate predictions are).
Reply 1662
Has anyone heard anything for maths yet?
Reply 1663
Original post by mattypb
Has anyone heard anything for maths yet?

nope, my application is still with the department, as it has been for nearly 3 months...
Reply 1664
My AES changed to;

* Your application has been received by a College
* A decision has not yet been made. Please visit the UCAS website for further details

On Friday for Politics (L200). I haven't heard anything else yet. Does this mean I definitely have a place considering it is so early in the process? And am I supposed to get an e-mail from the university or a change on UCAS if I have got a place? And how soon should I expect that?

I'm now getting myself worried because I haven't heard anything else yet, and I've read through this thread and I'm shocked at some of the people getting rejections. My application is pretty unremarkable; 3A*,7A and 3B at GCSE, 3A and C in maths at AS + Gen stud and critical thinking. Predicted A*A*A at A2 but its nothing compared to some. I'm pretty sure I don't warrant any early acceptance, if any at all! Especially as Durham only received my applicantion 3 weeks ago! I think they might have just hit the wrong button on the AES! haha. Help please!
Reply 1665
Original post by angelmxxx
That's obviously more than pretty good but tbh in Durham terms not so exceptional it'd guarantee you an early offer.

Also the History department use your PS and reference too, especially the PS as they want to see what you think about History and what you're interested in - everyone will be predicted at least 3 As, usually more than 3 and including A*s (although they're not really taking into account A*s as they've only been given out for 1 year so nobody can really tell how accurate predictions are).

I'm not history :smile: I'm psychology. I had a good personal statement, really good reference. What more can Durham want!! How am I supposed to get BETTER than 5As and 5A*s?!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Any home students heard anything for law? Really begining to panic!
I think I'm a pretty good candidate tbh...5 As at AS, predicted 5A*s...and I haven't heard.

I haven't heard anything either, and I wouldn't say I'm weak at all... 4 A's at AS and 3 A* predictions at A2. And the course is for Biology where the grades are ABB
I'm not history :smile: I'm psychology. I had a good personal statement, really good reference. What more can Durham want!! How am I supposed to get BETTER than 5As and 5A*s?!!

Oh right, sorry- well that's less competitive but still amazing applicants!

After a point (3/4As/A*s predicted), they have to stop looking at grades and look at your PS and reference. Since 90% of their applicants will have those grades, it really is a lot about the PS. I'm sure yours is good but then equally very few people will have a bad one! So they have to spend hours reading through them and trying to see what you're like, why you like psychology, if you'll fit with the Durham course wel, etc....which takes months and months because they also have to give lectures and tutorials at the same time!

(And as I said before, they really can't give out many offers now because they HAVE to give everyone who applies before the deadline equal consideration. January's still a month away!)
Reply 1669
Original post by r_u_t_h
nope, my application is still with the department, as it has been for nearly 3 months...

:frown: Mine's been there for 2 months and still heard nothing. I thought that Durham would email us asking for UMS scores but they haven't
Original post by LookAliveSunshine

I have, I heard about a month ago, maybe less. But DON'T PANIC: my sister (with nearly identical grades) got her law offer in February or maybe even March a couple of years back. At school, lots of offers seem to have come through then.
(edited 13 years ago)

I know of two. Not a significant amount of offers made. I think the bulk will come around January.
Original post by mattypb
:frown: Mine's been there for 2 months and still heard nothing. I thought that Durham would email us asking for UMS scores but they haven't

A few people on this thread have been emailed for UMS already. I haven't tho :frown:
Reply 1673
Original post by mattypb

I'm a Scottish applicant so don't have these UMS things to be asked for, not sure if I can remember anyone posting about having been asked for them yet...

EDIT: just read the above post... obviously they have!

My addiction to the AES is slowly getting worse!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by r_u_t_h
I'm a Scottish applicant so don't have these UMS things to be asked for, not sure if I can remember anyone posting about having been asked for them yet...

EDIT: just read the above post... obviously they have!

My addiction to the AES is slowly getting worse!

AES only updates once a day.

That little tip should save you quite a bit of time.

Argh same! I haven't heard anything
I might cry
Good luck anyway :smile:
Reply 1676
Original post by adam0311
AES only updates once a day.

That little tip should save you quite a bit of time.

Yeah, i know that :smile: I just meant I'm developing a habit of checking it at the same time every evening lol :biggrin:
Reply 1677
Original post by Schnecke
Wow, congrats.

Can I ask did they email you for info on UMS beforehand?

I applied for G100. I was never asked for my UMS. Have you?
Reply 1678
I put an open application in for Durham for PPE. I got an offer and then they allocated me a place at Van Mildert. Has anyone else heard for PPE yet?
German, French and Russian/ Spanish at St. John's :biggrin: