The Student Room Group

Driving test cancellation - DSA pay compensation to you???

hi there folks

i saw on another thread some dude got his test cancelled twicein a row and rescheduled to March. he rang the DSA who gacve him £100 compensation and a test within the week.

how common is this?

my test was for 25 Nov but DSA cancelled and moved to 2 Dec, then DSA cancelled again due to snow and moved to 20 Jan, I rebooked it for 18 Dec but think it will be cancelled by DSA a third time due to forecast snow in my area. Will they pay me anything? will they get me a good alternative slot?
Reply 1
You will get what they claim is the next available slot - there will be dozens of others cancelled as well so don't expect any kind of priority.

I can't see why they would compensate due to bad weather. You can get your money back but you won't get compensation unless it's something like having the test cancelled due to examiners going sick for your first two tests.
Reply 2
on their website they say they pay the costs incurred. so like if i book my instructors car for 2 hours, and she charges me even though my test is cancel, will they reimburse? what about car hire charges?
Original post by FXX
You will get what they claim is the next available slot - there will be dozens of others cancelled as well so don't expect any kind of priority.

I can't see why they would compensate due to bad weather. You can get your money back but you won't get compensation unless it's something like having the test cancelled due to examiners going sick for your first two tests.

You'd think that, but they really dont. Had mine cancelled during the snow, 25th january the new test date! there hundreds of tests online available for the 4th/5th/6th/7th of january when i got my letter through :angry:

Bunch of pricks, thankfully found one a lot sooner than any of them

OP, i doubt it mate.
Reply 4
Original post by LufcEllandRoad
You'd think that, but they really dont. Had mine cancelled during the snow, 25th january the new test date! there hundreds of tests online available for the 4th/5th/6th/7th of january when i got my letter through :angry:

Bunch of pricks, thankfully found one a lot sooner than any of them

OP, i doubt it mate.

When my test was cancelled for bad weather two years ago, I got a new date five days later :p:
Original post by FXX
When my test was cancelled for bad weather two years ago, I got a new date five days later :p:

Ahh rub it in why don't you :wink:
Reply 6
If the DSA cancel your test, they will usually rebook another date for you at no extra cost.

If the cancellation is purely due to bad weather, there is no compensation payable as DSA are not responsible for the weather. See here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/dsa/news.asp?id=SXA9BB-A7838DD9

If the cancellation is for any other reason which is the fault of the DSA or its staff (examiner unavailable, industrial action etc) and is at short notice, they will pay your out of pocket expenses. However, if they've given you reasonable notice by letter, you can't claim compensation as it's assumed you will make arrangements to cancel any instructor / car hire and/or any unpaid leave from work.

As for waiting times, these are infinitely variable and usually depend on the diaries of examiners who can be moved around test centres and/or have leave / sick absence cancelled which opens up a whole day (or week) of test availability. This explains why the letter offered a date late in the month (no availability when letter written) yet the next day an examiner returned from sick or was transferred in from another centre which opened up several days of availability earlier in the month.
Nope they are pricks, ive come to the conclusion that if you cancel something or you delay it then you should be forced to work during the night to catch up TBH just like the NHS or emergency services would expect of you, as all that loses out is the consumer in this case you.
Reply 8
Someone I know had a test cancelled in January this year, got it rescheduled for March (I think) but at the time there was a strike, the DSA told him he should turn up and they'd find someone to do it, so he booked a lesson beforehand and a lesson for the test, got there and they told him that there wasn't anyone available! He complained to them and they said there was nothing they could do about it, he got another test though.
Reply 9
Original post by brokenangel
Nope they are pricks,

Agree. They cancelled mine, but failed to tell me by any method. I only by chance happened to log into the DSA to check everything a couple of days before my test and saw a different date to what I had booked which was about 6 weeks after what I had booked. I rang them up and asked WTF they had the wrong date, and they said they had to cancel it, and had sent me a letter to tell me. If I hadn't looked online I would have turned up for the test like my confirmation letter had said.

It's 6 months later, and I'm still waiting for that letter. God knows why they don't email AND send a letter like they do for the Booking Confirmation.

In the end I managed to book a test about a week later than original date, however it was a Saturday, and so had to pay £13 extra. You would have thought they would waived the £13 extra, due to screwing me about, but they didn't.
Reply 10
Original post by shinytoy
on their website they say they pay the costs incurred. so like if i book my instructors car for 2 hours, and she charges me even though my test is cancel, will they reimburse? what about car hire charges?

I'm afraid not. My test was cancelled on the day because the person who had the exmainer the test before me crashed putting the examiner in hospital :| My test was postponed for 3 days, in which time I had 1 lesson and then the next test. I paid my instructor for both these lessons, and despite being told by my examiner on my second text that I could claim the money back, after being on hold to the DSA for a good 40 mins I was told that as the problem was out of their control I couldn't get a refund, even though it was also out of my control.
But then again maybe I was just unlucky. It's worth a shot :P
Original post by ReddDraggon
Agree. They cancelled mine, but failed to tell me by any method. I only by chance happened to log into the DSA to check everything a couple of days before my test and saw a different date to what I had booked which was about 6 weeks after what I had booked. I rang them up and asked WTF they had the wrong date, and they said they had to cancel it, and had sent me a letter to tell me. If I hadn't looked online I would have turned up for the test like my confirmation letter had said.

It's 6 months later, and I'm still waiting for that letter. God knows why they don't email AND send a letter like they do for the Booking Confirmation.

In the end I managed to book a test about a week later than original date, however it was a Saturday, and so had to pay £13 extra. You would have thought they would waived the £13 extra, due to screwing me about, but they didn't.

That doesnt surprise me and the DVLA is no better im still waiting for my driving license back (change of address) 6 weeks after they recieved it and they have admit it just hasnt been processed yet so its not the post fault.
Reply 12

tell me about it, i only got a letter saying my test on the 2nd Dec was cancelled on the 9th Dec, even though they dated it the 2nd. theres nothing stopping them from backdating it to a week before your test to avoid paying compensation
Original post by shinytoy
tell me about it, i only got a letter saying my test on the 2nd Dec was cancelled on the 9th Dec, even though they dated it the 2nd. theres nothing stopping them from backdating it to a week before your test to avoid paying compensation

Did you actually turn up for the test too?
Reply 14
Did you actually turn up for the test too?

well when they cancelled the 25th Nov, they gve me a weeks notice, but i had changed it anyway.

when they cancelled the 2 Dec, i moved it to the 22nd but forgot to click save ion the system. so i didnt bother turning up thinking it would be on the 22nd. i didnt know they had kept it on the 2nd ! so when i got the letter on the 9th saying the 2nd was cancelled i was very glad i didnt lose my £50 quids. but if they cancekl me on the 18th i will be pied off for sure and expect compensation since it is the third time cancelled.

Yeah- they are pretty rubbish. I had my first test cancelled last september because there was no examiner to do it. They left it untill the night before too and decended to ring me then. Then at the beginning of this year (january) they cancelled another one because of the snow (they couldnt help that one though).
Reply 16
Original post by brokenangel
Nope they are pricks, ive come to the conclusion that if you cancel something or you delay it then you should be forced to work during the night to catch up TBH just like the NHS or emergency services would expect of you, as all that loses out is the consumer in this case you.

Mother-effers cancelled my test which is this tuesday and moved it to 16th of june when i have an exam, and all because no one is available to test me, absolute bullsh*t. why the hell did they give me that date in the first place? and didnt bother to tell me, my driving instructor only found out through the website, DSA and DVLA are bunch of greedy, money stealing tw*ts! :angry:
Did anyone who had their Practical test cancelled get the money back for hiring the instructors car?Just spoke to them on the phone and the guy said I will only get the money back for 2 hours.
Original post by sjuvenato
Did anyone who had their Practical test cancelled get the money back for hiring the instructors car?Just spoke to them on the phone and the guy said I will only get the money back for 2 hours.

For christ sake man this post is 7 years old, make a new thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending