The Student Room Group

Why are people so ignorant about suicide and depression?

Scroll to see replies

We're ignorant about it because we have the highest depression/suicide rates in the EU.

Wait a second, that doesn't make any sense.

What the hell is our excuse?

I know Nick Griffin thinks it's Somalis, but really; this phenomenon isn't limited to TSR, and I can't wrap my head around how abrasive things people say about the mentally unwell are when we're in the position to be leading by example.
Reply 101
Suicide and Depression are at the bottom of my list of physical/mental diseases sorry. I think Cancer and other diseases are more important and should have a higher priority than if someone wants to end their life.
Original post by hippieglitter
I may get flamed for this and i don't care. Those who claim to be depressed and moan and moan and moan and moan about it, i don't believe are really depressed, those who are really depressed, who have been medically diagnosed and had treatment for depression (like myself and my best friend) are actually really good at hiding it, for the most part they don't want people to know hence why so many depressed people go without treatment for so long.

This may be the case for you and your best friend but it not the case for me. I have also been diagnosed with depression and an eating disorder. I'm undergoing treatment currently. I don't hide it. It's part of me. I need people to understand what's going on with me so that they can tell when I'm falling apart and give me some support. I need people to understand why I'm weird sometimes and how my depression and the treatment of other people towards me sometimes makes me say things I don't mean and why I find it hard to trust people. If my friends didn't know about it all they'd just think I was some b*itch and they wouldn't be friends with me anymore.

Also, I'm not ashamed. If I had a 'physical' illness, should I hide it? Why is this any different for me? And I know some people can't talk about it so I think it's important that the people who can try to raise awareness and change attitudes.
Original post by Jimbo1234
Ok, I'll rephrase it too ' How weak and insecure they are'.

It's not about weakness! If someone has depression, for whatever reason, they have it, and they can't do anything about themselves, otherwise they would have done! If anything, it's strong to have depression and seek help. Having a problem and doing something about it is a far stronger thing to do than to not have depression and to criticise others for a mental illness. THAT is what's weak and pathetic.
Original post by theths
fair enough, but forgive me if i say "everyone you know" is not exactly necessarily a representative sample

on another note
we might not see "no new stuff" as a serious problem, and in a lot of cases, it isn't - people are just greedy little ****s
but materialism as a whole has led to all sorts of new problems, and i'd say genuinely seeing yourself as being in relative poverty can be very damaging indeed

in a study conducted by harvard, something like 70% of students surveyed chose option A over B:
A: you earn 45,000, everyone else earns 30,000
B: you earn 100,000, everyone else earns 250,000

ergo, people are VERY rivalrous when it comes to income

i'm digressing, but yeah basically what i wanted to say is that depression is a deep thing and i don't really thing we can pass off other people's problems as insignificant, no matter what they are
it's like those people who come up with "yh but children are starving in africa" in response to somebody's self-pity. not endearing. at all.

Aye, and this is the result of a capitalist driven society. However the strong minded people would see through this and realise that even though you may be competitive when it comes to materialistic possessions, at the end of the day they will most likely not make you happy.

Original post by IndigoRockGirl
It's not about weakness! If someone has depression, for whatever reason, they have it, and they can't do anything about themselves, otherwise they would have done! If anything, it's strong to have depression and seek help. Having a problem and doing something about it is a far stronger thing to do than to not have depression and to criticise others for a mental illness. THAT is what's weak and pathetic.

I do not think you understand how depression works and how it is brought on. Very rarely do people actually have mental problems that lead or course depression, but most of the time it is brought on by the person wallowing in self pity which results in the chemical imbalance.
I remember that I once had a real big problem with depression and suicide. One day I was just minding my own business, shooting some b-ball outside of the school, when a couple of guys who were up to no good, started making trouble in my neighbourhood. I got in one little fight and my mum got scared. She then moved me to Bel Air.

But then when I got to my kingdom I was finally there, to sit on my throne, as the Prince of Bel Air. And that's how I overcame my depression.
Reply 106
I do not think you understand how depression works and how it is brought on. Very rarely do people actually have mental problems that lead or course depression, but most of the time it is brought on by the person wallowing in self pity which results in the chemical imbalance.

How can you be so sure that it's not the 'chemical imbalance' that causes the person to wallow in self pity in the first place?

Nobody understands how depression works and how its brought on. You are deluded if you think that you do.
I'm suffering from depression and there is no wayon earth that im weak minded. Despite what i've been through, i'm still here and fighting. Sometimes the thoughts just cant go away.
Reply 108
Original post by Maloney
Suicide and Depression are at the bottom of my list of physical/mental diseases sorry. I think Cancer and other diseases are more important and should have a higher priority than if someone wants to end their life.

This has got to be a troll.
My God Father killed himself, and it drives me MAD when people say that people who commit suicide are "selfish". I can see WHY they said that, but I don't believe you truly understand what someone goes through at such a time until you've actually experienced it for yourself.. although obviously I don't want you to experience it.. not nice.
Reply 110
Original post by mya369
This has got to be a troll.

Nope. If 1 person should get money, should it be the 12 year old girl with cancer or the 32 year old who has depression?
Original post by F i s
We are not just chemical imbalances!!!! the whole mind aspect elevates us above all other species.

Well, I would argue that the mind is nothing but a redescription of said chemicals and impulses.

which then results in the chemical imbalance because their brains becomes accustom to producing that negative chemical.

Negative chemical? Whatchoo talkin' bout?
Reply 112
Original post by Maloney

This made me lol
Reply 113
Original post by Maloney
Nope. If 1 person should get money, should it be the 12 year old girl with cancer or the 32 year old who has depression?

How old are you?
Reply 114
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Well, I would argue that the mind is nothing but a redescription of said chemicals and impulses.

I pity you. :frown:
Reply 115
This is sad, really sad.

You'll just have to learn that some people will never realise or understand how you feel. Not because they don't want to, but because they can't. Some people are too narrow minded to see past themselves.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna

I disagree with much that you say, so it's nice for us to find some common ground here finally :smile:
Original post by F i s
I pity you. :frown:

Why is that?
Reply 118
Original post by .Ali.
So I was reading this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28902489#post28902489

and I'm completely shocked and appalled at some of the responses, for example:

"Suicide is for the weakminded"
"Survival of the fittest, he deserved to die"
"I have no sympathy with people who do this selfish act" etc.

How can people be so heartless and ignorant? Also, surely people should be more angry at the bullies? That poor boy died because of some cold hearted, foul people who were complete and utter cowards.

Depression is a chemical imbalance for Gods sake, I don't know why people see it any differently from any other illness. Having it does NOT make you weak in any way, no more than having any other illness does. Why the ignorance and the judgement?

The problem here is the bullies, surely more should be done to combat bullying and abuse?

Urgh this makes me ridiculously angry. People who've never had depression or felt suicidal have no right to judge.

I really don't know how to explain it, but the people that are saying those things you quoted either :

a) Haven't been through the experience of depression, and are therefore naive and intolerant (this happens with pretty much everything in life)
b) have been through depression, but have had people there for them, so wouldn't know what it's like to have no-one to talk to and feeling depressed (which worsens depression to the stage of suicide).
:sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending