The Student Room Group

Fragrance Adverts - Pointless?

Is it just me, or are adverts for aftershaves and perfumes nearly pointless? The only reason I'd buy one is because of how it smells, and this just isn't demonstrated in a TV ad.

They seem so pointless that the adverts contain the most meaningless content - I just saw an advert showing a bloke walking across a rocky plateu for 5 seconds; he gets to the end, doesn't even look at the sea, turns around, and then a bottle of aftershave blends over him.

I can't be the only one thinking this, can I?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I agree. I never buy perfume that I've seen on the TV- I'll buy all of mine out of magazines or something, that I've had the chance to smell from a sample or something.
Reply 2
I bet you can remember the names of some of the ones advertised.. even if you can't, other people can. No matter how stupid the adverts are lol

Thus. their job is done.

Big companies have the means and resources to know whether they should advertise or not , so the fact that they do means they know for a fact it is beneficial.
Reply 3
They are useless. But usually have some good eye candy :sexface:
Reply 4
Original post by Tommyjw
I bet you can remember the names of some of the ones advertised.. even if you can't, other people can. No matter how stupid the adverts are lol

Thus. their job is done.

Big companies have the means and resources to know whether they should advertise or not , so the fact that they do means they know for a fact it is beneficial.

Well this is it, brand awareness, but the only one I can remember is CK, which is a brand which I was already aware of; doesn't make me any more likely to buy it :p:
Aren't almost all adverts pointless in this regard? Brand awareness seems their most important function?
Yes. Absolutely pointless.
Reply 7
Agreed; for sure they are pointless. But then, the Beyoncé 'Heat' advert does not need a 'point' :drool:
Reply 8
I have been saying the exact same thing for SO long.
Reply 9
Yeah, it's pretty pointless to advertise a smell on TV. They just want people to see the name and remember it, I guess.
"Jhe vo shayy" - Lee Evans on perfume ads.
Reply 11
Original post by sandys1000
Aren't almost all adverts pointless in this regard? Brand awareness seems their most important function?

Well with another product the advantages or features can be demonstrated. A shirt for example, you could say, "Ooo that looks nice." A laptop you could say, "Those specs make it great value for money." Withh an aftershave, surely the only real thing you care about is the smell (and the price ofc), which can't be advertised on TV.
I always think this, they annoy me.
Reply 13
Original post by DarkWhite
Is it just me, or are adverts for aftershaves and perfumes nearly pointless?

Is it just me, or is the sun hot?
I think they work. Not to the point where I'm thinking "OMFG if I buy this I will become an ultimate sex god" but they give me a hint of what I expect to be buying and they catch the viewers eye quite well.
Paco Rabanne - One million :sexface:

Is it just me, or are adverts for aftershaves and perfumes nearly pointless? The only reason I'd buy one is because of how it smells, and this just isn't demonstrated in a TV ad.

They seem so pointless that the adverts contain the most meaningless content - I just saw an advert showing a bloke walking across a rocky plateu for 5 seconds; he gets to the end, doesn't even look at the sea, turns around, and then a bottle of aftershave blends over him.

Ads for perfumes are lifestyle ads. Although I like Chanel perfume itself anyway, the ads are extremely enticing and just lovely to look at.
Ralph Loren fragrances will not make me a polo player of any competence
Ralph Loren fragrances will not make me have a toned body
Ralph Loren fragrances will not give me a natural glowing tan
Ralph Loren fragrances are not hinge factors between me finding & not finding the girl of my dreams
Ralph Loren fragrances will not get me a yacht
Ralph Loren fragrances will not get me a Rolex

Buying Ralph Loren anything will do damage to my wallet (magnitude depends on expenditure).

Its attention grabbing, and it just worked.
meh i get what you mean, but i guess it's just like any advert: remember the name of it.
it must work - they sell so much of the crap :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending