The Student Room Group

Hepatitis?

(Before I start, I just want to make this perfectly clear, I was last sexually active September 2007, I had a full sexual health check in January/February 2008, which showed up I had Chlamydia, which was cleared up with antibiotics, but everything else was fine. So this is not a suspected sexually transmitted hepatitis thread.)

So I went to America end of Aug to early September. I travelled a lot around the country, ie Niagara Falls, Delaware, DC, NY, Queens, Maryland, Philly and few other places. During my time there, I was fine, enjoying myself, really having a good time after having a rough finish to the end of my university time. My brother was there too, and he as well was fine.

A few weeks after coming back (mid October), I began having pains in my legs, which I thought must be muscular from all the walking around I did whilst in the States. However this got worse, and I couldn't take anymore so went to Dr. An investigation into DVT was started, which has suggested that I do not have it. However during this time, I began experiencing chest pain, which gradually got worse, and was accompanied with other pains, ie severe headache, nausea, pains in arms, back, shoulder, you name it, it ached and was so so painful, reducing me to tears.

After several trips to Drs and A&E as the chest pain is still there, my mum (who is a medical professional) discussed the matter with her work colleagues. They said that I have probably caught something whilst on holiday, but nobody knows what it is.

After having a number of blood tests, the ALT reading of one of the blood tests was high, extremely high. Now this apparently is giving indication to something wrong in the liver area, which is giving hints, mum thinks, to Hepatitis :s-smilie:. Now I'm like WTF, as whilst I was in the country, I was soo careful with my hygiene, washing my hands at every opportunity, and ensuring I had my hand sanitizer gel at all times to try and eradicate any germs I might have.

I had another blood test done today esp. for the hepatitis, which I get the result back on Friday. I also am booked in for a liver ultrasound, to find out what is going on in that area. However I am still left with an unexplained chest pain, which is slightly better, by a notch but not significantly.

So what is the point of this thread? Well I'm just interested to find out if anyone here has had Hepatitis? . .if so, how long did your episode last for and etc? I'm just interested to know about other people's experiences.

Thanks

PS: Apologies this is a long post.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are non-infective types of hepatitis as well, and it can be caught in all sorts of ways, so it doesn't mean you've necessarily been a skank or anything, could just be really unlucky.

As I have said in your many other threads, just relax and let them get on with doing the tests.

Out of interest, which side is your chest pain?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
(Before I start, I just want to make this perfectly clear, I was last sexually active September 2007, I had a full sexual health check in January/February 2008, which showed up I had Chlamydia, which was cleared up with antibiotics, but everything else was fine. So this is not a suspected sexually transmitted hepatitis thread.)

So I went to America end of Aug to early September. I travelled a lot around the country, ie Niagara Falls, Delaware, DC, NY, Queens, Maryland, Philly and few other places. During my time there, I was fine, enjoying myself, really having a good time after having a rough finish to the end of my university time. My brother was there too, and he as well was fine.

A few weeks after coming back (mid October), I began having pains in my legs, which I thought must be muscular from all the walking around I did whilst in the States. However this got worse, and I couldn't take anymore so went to Dr. An investigation into DVT was started, which has suggested that I do not have it. However during this time, I began experiencing chest pain, which gradually got worse, and was accompanied with other pains, ie severe headache, nausea, pains in arms, back, shoulder, you name it, it ached and was so so painful, reducing me to tears.

After several trips to Drs and A&E as the chest pain is still there, my mum (who is a medical professional) discussed the matter with her work colleagues. They said that I have probably caught something whilst on holiday, but nobody knows what it is.

After having a number of blood tests, the ALT reading of one of the blood tests was high, extremely high. Now this apparently is giving indication to something wrong in the liver area, which is giving hints, mum thinks, to Hepatitis :s-smilie:. Now I'm like WTF, as whilst I was in the country, I was soo careful with my hygiene, washing my hands at every opportunity, and ensuring I had my hand sanitizer gel at all times to try and eradicate any germs I might have.

I had another blood test done today esp. for the hepatitis, which I get the result back on Friday. I also am booked in for a liver ultrasound, to find out what is going on in that area. However I am still left with an unexplained chest pain, which is slightly better, by a notch but not significantly.

So what is the point of this thread? Well I'm just interested to find out if anyone here has had Hepatitis? . .if so, how long did your episode last for and etc? I'm just interested to know about other people's experiences.

Thanks

Hepatitis itself means an inflammed liver - this does not mean it is Hep C or something like that. What it means is something has annoyed your liver so it may have become inflammed, it can be a reaction to a drug taken etc (including just normal tablets off presciption). My friend had hepatitis as a side effect from glandular fever so you may not have caught it off anyone or anything at all.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Helenia
There are non-infective types of hepatitis as well, and it can be caught in all sorts of ways, so it doesn't mean you've necessarily been a skank or anything, could just be really unlucky.

As I have said in your many other threads, just relax and let them get on with doing the tests.

Out of interest, which side is your chest pain?

It was just something mum and her work colleagues thought, and it's one test I haven't had done, in all 7 blood tests!!!

The pain is mainly on my left side and sometimes in the centre of the chest. Although it does sometimes radiate to the right side. However my liver hurts on the left side when my Dr pressed on my tummy yesterday. But I am also getting a burning sensation on the sides of my chest, pain in my back and across my shoulder.

I'm not worrying really, i'm just interested and curious to know about it.

Thanks

Get any rashes whilst you were out there?
Just strikes me that those areas have a lot of Lyme disease in them.

Fascinating story. See what happens with the doctors, don't stress yourself unduly and do let us know what happens.
Reply 5
Original post by Jamie
Get any rashes whilst you were out there?
Just strikes me that those areas have a lot of Lyme disease in them.

Fascinating story. See what happens with the doctors, don't stress yourself unduly and do let us know what happens.

Rashes? Ummm no, but I was bitten by mosquitoes in Delaware. I mentioned it to the person I was staying with, and she gave me some cream to use. When I checked the date, it was 10years out of date! I didn't use it, so waited until I got into NY, where I found the drug store and got some in - date cream. They took a while to go, but eventually they settled and dried. I did mention this to Drs, but they weren't too bothered.
Reply 6
You can get aches and pains and feel nauseous and tired with hepatitis but its best to wait till you have seen the doctor and got a diagnosis.
Rashes? Ummm no, but I was bitten by mosquitoes in Delaware. I mentioned it to the person I was staying with, and she gave me some cream to use. When I checked the date, it was 10years out of date! I didn't use it, so waited until I got into NY, where I found the drug store and got some in - date cream. They took a while to go, but eventually they settled and dried. I did mention this to Drs, but they weren't too bothered.

No this particular infection is spread by ticks. But you tend to get a big itchy rash where bitten first.
Reply 8
Original post by Jamie
No this particular infection is spread by ticks. But you tend to get a big itchy rash where bitten first.

I've had tick bites before, and they hurt! Experienced them when I was little in Jamaica. Had to have them dug out and then the whole area plastered in TCP.

Original post by mummyperson
You can get aches and pains and feel nauseous and tired with hepatitis but its best to wait till you have seen the doctor and got a diagnosis.

Mum and I were trying to fathom it out last night, and with what i've been experiencing fits with it. But we'll see what the blood test results flag up on Friday!

You got bitten by an insect in a foreign country that has a lot of serious stuff regarding infectious diseases.

That should have been a #1 priority to be checked on and if it hasn't been mentioned to your mum, do so now.
Reply 10
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
You got bitten by an insect in a foreign country that has a lot of serious stuff regarding infectious diseases.

That should have been a #1 priority to be checked on and if it hasn't been mentioned to your mum, do so now.

I told mum on the phone when I was over there I'd been bitten and she told me to watch it. So its then i went looking for the cream in NY. I showed her when I came back and she didn't seem too fused.

Ive mentioned several times and it's not phasing anyone really because to them I'm not showing classic symptoms of anything. But it should be looked into though.
I told mum on the phone when I was over there I'd been bitten and she told me to watch it. So its then i went looking for the cream in NY. I showed her when I came back and she didn't seem too fused.

Ive mentioned several times and it's not phasing anyone really because to them I'm not showing classic symptoms of anything. But it should be looked into though.

Mosquitos carry stuff.

You felt ill after or before?

Incubation periods will be included in the time since being bitten and when you came home. The skin of your hand and feet may well have let an infectious disease into you but its also likely an insect bite like a mosquito did it because actual penetration occured with the bite, the hands on door handles etc is surface only.
Reply 12
Mosquitos carry stuff.

You felt ill after or before?

Incubation periods will be included in the time since being bitten and when you came home. The skin of your hand and feet may well have let an infectious disease into you but its also likely an insect bite like a mosquito did it because actual penetration occured with the bite, the hands on door handles etc is surface only.

Yea mum and I were talking about it this evening, and she said she suspects whatever the mossie's had, is what I've picked up. So possibly the Hepatitis (if I have it), as according to a friend of mine it's very common in the US, 1 in 3 people have it apparently! :/ I feel soo foolish and not having any vaccination before going. But I never thought that I'd pick up anything whilst in the US. I've been to Jamaica plenty of times, and been bitten by mosquitos and they've never given any trouble.

I felt fine before I left the UK, and I felt fine when back. However whilst on the flight home, my leg started to hurt, which is why when I first went to Drs end of Oct/beginning of Nov complaining with only leg pain, they thought maybe DVT. But I've had 2 ultrasounds on the leg, and there is no sign of it. The leg that is hurting is the same leg I got bitten on.

I felt fine before I left the UK, and I felt fine when back. However whilst on the flight home, my leg started to hurt, which is why when I first went to Drs end of Oct/beginning of Nov complaining with only leg pain, they thought maybe DVT. But I've had 2 ultrasounds on the leg, and there is no sign of it. The leg that is hurting is the same leg I got bitten on.

/slap

You needed that!

Insect bites can kill, you're lucky it isn't anything serious and air travel tends to make it worse for the body's immune system due to recycled air, germs and pressure changes. You need to get it sorted.
Reply 14
/slap

You needed that!

Insect bites can kill, you're lucky it isn't anything serious and air travel tends to make it worse for the body's immune system due to recycled air, germs and pressure changes. You need to get it sorted.

/slap!! No man slaps me and gets away with it?!

Yes I know insect bites are dangerous, but going to/from Jamaica having been bitten countless times whilst there, it honestly didn't cross my mind for the US. Nobody knows for definite yet if it is Hep. but will find out Friday. It's only a suggestion made by mum and her work colleagues.
Reply 15
And it is getting sorted, after going to a diff. Dr who has had enough, and wants to get to bottom of it.
Did you ever snort any drugs?

I know it's random, but you can catch hepatitis from snorting coke or whatever using a bank note - many people don't realise this.
Reply 17
Original post by Spetznaaz
Did you ever snort any drugs?

I know it's random, but you can catch hepatitis from snorting coke or whatever using a bank note - many people don't realise this.

:rolleyes: no you idiot! I dont even drink, Let alone take drugs.
:rolleyes: no you idiot! I dont even drink, Let alone take drugs.

Hmmm, idiot?

how was i to know that... just trying to help.
Reply 19
UPDATE: Blood test results show that I do NOT have Hep A, B and C.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending