The Student Room Group

Oxford engineering grades?

What Grades have people got who have got in to Oxford (engineering)? If I got 6a*s and 5As would I stand a chance of getting in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You know there's a search button at your top right corner, right? Use it
Reply 2
Thankyou for that incredibly insightful and useful statement , I would never have thought to have done that first without your infinitely superior intellect!
Reply 3
Your A-levels make a world of a difference (I'm assuming these are your GCSEs)
After all, I got 9A*s in my iGCSEs, and then 3As 1B in my A/S and didn't get an interview (and in retrospect, I don't think I deserved one).
Reply 4
Original post by wcp100
What Grades have people got who have got in to Oxford (engineering)? If I got 6a*s and 5As would I stand a chance of getting in?

Na, there's a cut-off at 7A*. Anything less leads to an automatic rejection.
Reply 5
Does the GCSE really matter? I have never seen any requirement on GCSE grades in OxBridge official websites!?
Reply 6
I got 8A*s and 3As, I don't think there is a cut off it isn't like LSE for economics. unamed is right, AS levels are definitely more important. As long as they aren't terrible and you get A*s in maths and sciences you should be fine.
Reply 7
I got 10 A*s and 1 A at IGCSE and got an offer. 6 A*s and 5 As is fine - just make sure that you AS grades and A2 predictions are strong (i.e. A*s) as these are much more important. Good luck! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by wcp100
Thankyou for that incredibly insightful and useful statement , I would never have thought to have done that first without your infinitely superior intellect!
Firstly fantastic sarcastic response, made me laugh a lot.

Well I can only think speak for Cambridge but I got an interview with AABB at AS (Maths, Physics, Further, Chem) with GCSE grades A*AAAAAABBBBB and I got an interview, so far your doing better than me so you may as well go for it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by wcp100

I got an interview with 5As 3Bs C D at gcse and 4As at A-level. I think the Interview is the main selection criteria providing you meet their entry requirements.
If you have some decent work experience, or can talk about some courses you have attended in your personal statement, or have done the EES, then this probably counts for a fair bit more than grades tbh. Otherwise, I would have been an instant rejection
Personally, I had 5A*, 4As, 3Bs at GCSE.
4As and a B at AS
and 2A*s and 3A prediction for A2 (which I met)
Reply 12
Thanks a lot , I might concider applying then , what work experience have people got ? I was thinking of things that would make my application look unique e.g. faraday member of the royal institute , sailing and resucue assisstant?
Original post by wcp100
Thanks a lot , I might concider applying then , what work experience have people got ? I was thinking of things that would make my application look unique e.g. faraday member of the royal institute , sailing and resucue assisstant?

Personally I had EES project, one week of work experience, sailing instructor, represented england at orienteering, and a few science and engineering comps entered, limited success.
Reply 14
Sorry, this is a bit late! :smile:

I've got an open offer to do engineering from Oxford - I got 9 1/2 A*s, 1 A, A in Add Maths (a Free-Standing Maths Qualification). I got 5 As at AS.

I have no work experience, but they did ask if I had any in my interview, same as at Warwick, but I've got offers from both, so it's a good thing to get, but it's not essential.
Reply 15
Original post by wcp100

I was told oxford love the Duke of Edinburgh Gol award, but I guess they like silver too
Original post by hello dave
Na, there's a cut-off at 7A*. Anything less leads to an automatic rejection.

Not true AT ALL! I have 5A*s and I'm in my second year at Oxford for Engineering.

None of this is true guys. They look at a COMBINATION of As and A*s.
Reply 17
Original post by MustafaCaglar
Not true AT ALL! I have 5A*s and I'm in my second year at Oxford for Engineering.

None of this is true guys. They look at a COMBINATION of As and A*s.

Ah hem... sarcasm.
Reply 18
It seems to me as if there is very little agreement as to what the criteria is. I think I will try my best and let the University decide whether I'm good enough
Original post by hello dave
Ah hem... sarcasm.

Too subtle for my liking :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest