The big wikileaks thread

Scroll to see replies

Conditions of Bail

Surety of £240,000, according to BBC News
Curfew from 10am-2pm and 10pm-2am
Assange must report to the police station every day at 6pm
- Can't apply for travel docs
- Eletronic Tag
...- Must report to local police station every day at 6pm.
- Prosecutor has 2hrs to appeal (Swedish prosecutors plan to launch an appeal against the decision to grant Assange bail. They have two hours to do lodge an appeal. Assange will not be freed until that process is over.)

You'd think he's a serial killer or something like that :O
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jakemittle
Conditions of Bail

Surety of £240,000, according to BBC News
Curfew from 10am-2pm and 10pm-2am
Assange must report to the police station every day at 6pm
- Can't apply for travel docs
- Eletronic Tag
...- Must report to local police station every day at 6pm.
- Prosecutor has 2hrs to appeal (Swedish prosecutors plan to launch an appeal against the decision to grant Assange bail. They have two hours to do lodge an appeal. Assange will not be freed until that process is over.)

You'd think he's a serial killer or something like that :O

Well, he is a suspected rapist. Police do tend to keep things secure with those crimes.
Original post by spidergareth
Well, he is a suspected rapist. Police do tend to keep things secure with those crimes.

Mhm, even rapists arent even this kind of conditions
Omg I AM SO HAPPY people will realise he is the best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR0joIBMH9s
"this song will put you in the good"
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jakemittle
Mhm, even rapists arent even this kind of conditions

He can't complain really, getting a free stay in a mansion for the next month. I think the judge suspects that Assange is very likely to run because of his contacts and because he thinks there is political involvement, hence why the bail conditions are so tight. He wants to prevent the guy slipping away as much as possible.

I don't know if this is ultra unusual, I'll have to ask a lawyer.
Original post by spidergareth
He can't complain really, getting a free stay in a mansion for the next month. I think the judge suspects that Assange is very likely to run because of his contacts

Then the judge is slow...

actually the song should be

But change the words slightly :rolleyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVmqFl7eFvg&feature=related
Original post by G8D
No appeal from Sweden.

They will...
Reply 587
Sweden seems hellbent on turning Julian into a martyr. Bizzare strategy. If this is what they're doing to the public face of wikileaks in full view of the world; what the **** are they doing to his colleagues who nobody knows about?

Wouldn't look so suspicous if they started getting charged with rape, with no public association with a group undergoing persecutation.

Saw this quote from a manifesto by Julian; covered in the Guardian.

"Every time we witness an act that we feel to be unjust and do not act we become a party to injustice

Those who are repeatedly passive in the face of injustice soon find their character corroded into servility"

Very perceptive.

Saw in the Guardian livefeed a journalist promising a big story on Bradley Manning soon. That shoule be interesting as we haven't heard much about him lately.
30 min hack on amazon they needed to give him an bail they were too scared lool!
Reply 589
Julian Assange is so hot right now. The guys want to be him, the women want to **** him.

Amerite girls?
Reply 590
tbh, he's kind of brought it on himself, since he works so hard to keep his sources anonymous he could've been anonymous as well.

Instead hes too busy self promoting himself as some kind of 'paragon of justice' he's going to get his just deserts for breaking the law.
He made it public as its within the law ...
Reply 592
Original post by G8D
If he has indeed broken the law.

I don't think anyone here would campaign for his freedom if he was fairly convicted of the sexual offences.

I'd kick up a fuss if he gets extradited to the US though.

well hes definitely broken US espionage laws (illegal to publish, collect classified information, also illegal not to hand back any classified documents if you find/are given them). So theres quite a justification for him to be tried in the US.

As for the swedish laws who knows.
Reply 593
Original post by Square
well hes definitely broken US espionage laws (illegal to publish, collect classified information, also illegal not to hand back any classified documents if you find/are given them). So theres quite a justification for him to be tried in the US.

As for the swedish laws who knows.

It's illegal for men/women to mix together in public spaces without relatives present in Saudi Arabia.

Does that mean you should be extradiated to Saudi Arabia for your facebook pictures?

No? Well...:rolleyes:
Reply 594
Original post by MoanyLisa

Even the US Supreme Court agrees that what is written in the Espionage Act 1917 is too broad a definition.
Julian Assange and Wikileaks would argue they are protected under the First Amendment as they are a media organisation. Yes, a new type of media, but media nonetheless.

Well unless the US pass a new law specifically for Assange and charge him under it, just like they done with one of Bin Laden's cook, I wasn't aware of this till I watched the documentary the other day on Channel 4.
Reply 595
Original post by MoanyLisa
Erm...No. :K:
Though, for whatever reason, notoriety is a known aphrodisiac. Even Ted Bundy had fan girls in the public gallery.
Disclaimer: I am in no way implying Assange is like Bundy.:getmecoat:

What's wrong with him?

I think he oozes sexuality. Not as much as he did when he had the long, grey, swept-over hair, but still...
Reply 596
For those who missed it :

WikiLeaks: Julian Assange granted bail but remains locked up
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange remains in custody after Swedish prosecutors appealed against a decision to grant him bail.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8201718/WikiLeaks-Julian-Assange-granted-bail-but-remains-locked-up.html
Original post by G8D
I posted that right after Sweden said they wouldn't.

They have subsequently revised this position.

aye :smile:
Original post by Guvnor
Well unless the US pass a new law specifically for Assange and charge him under it, just like they done with one of Bin Laden's cook, I wasn't aware of this till I watched the documentary the other day on Channel 4.

do explain?

:s-smilie:
Dont worry about it man.

In other news

"Mr Assange offered the police testimony and questioning when he was in Sweden, but they declined.
He asked the prosecutors permission to leave the country, and got it.
So why this now??
Why not just hold the questioning in a UK police station, over a video link as is done in so many other cases??
Why could not the Swedish police fly over and get the questioning done?
I don't think Mr. Assange would disagree with this, especially not since he gave himself up the moment the correct paperwork was issued, and walked into a UK police station...

I think this is becoming more of a persecution, than prosecution, especially since there are indications in the current police reports in Sweden, that the accusations may be false.

Also remember that they have yet to charge him with anything - all it is as of now, is a warrant for questioning - and Sweden do have a history of renditions, for which they have even been convicted in the EU courts."

Quick Reply

Latest