The Student Room Group

HELP: Predicted A*A*A but got Ds in my mocks.

Hey I am doing A2 bio, chem and maths. As most of you know the first set of exams are in January, I still haven’t started my revision (coz I’m an idiot) I did some mocks last week and got Ds. I really need to get A in my jan exams, do you guys think it would be possible if I worked really hard (day and night) to get grade A. I am not doing any AS retakes except for S1 but I’m not spending too much time on it :smile: my first exam is on the 24th I feel like crying and I really need to sort my self out :frown: so is it possible to move form D to A. Please give me some advice :smile: thank you in advance x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, just start now methinks.
Reply 2
Yeah, but start now or you're ****ed. And do you think A*A*A was a bit generous, or warranted?
I wouldn't worry. Mock results are rarely accurate. Just make sure you revise over the christmas holz and you will be fine :smile:
Reply 4
Yes, it's possible :P Just make sure you're working!
Reply 5
Haha, chill, I'm predicted A*A*A*A*, got 22% in my M1 mock and 11% in my C3 mock. Just make sure you revise hard over Christmas; I know I need to :smile:
Reply 6
Minor.. I'm in the same position as you.. Predicted same grades, same subjects, getting even lower than you in 'tests' we do in class.. & mocks :smile: Don't worry, just work hard in the holidays & you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Planar
Yeah, but start now or you're ****ed. And do you think A*A*A was a bit generous, or warranted?

i am predicted A*A*A because I got 90% above in my AS exams and yes I do need these grades since I've applied to study medicine
Start revising now and work hard over the holidays and you will achieve the best grades you can.
Reply 9
oh thanks guys lol I was panicking so much my teacher really scared me today haha but I need to be scared coz If I'm not then I won't start revising. yeah I'm going to start now :smile: good luck to everyone else and make sure u guys work hard too :smile: x
Reply 10
Original post by bahar_bp
Hey I am doing A2 bio, chem and maths. As most of you know the first set of exams are in January, I still haven’t started my revision (coz I’m an idiot) I did some mocks last week and got Ds. I really need to get A in my jan exams, do you guys think it would be possible if I worked really hard (day and night) to get grade A. I am not doing any AS retakes except for S1 but I’m not spending too much time on it :smile: my first exam is on the 24th I feel like crying and I really need to sort my self out :frown: so is it possible to move form D to A. Please give me some advice :smile: thank you in advance x

For me mocks arent a good representation of what I'm really going to get... I don't know how it is for you though.... I done a C3 mock and got like 54% (eek) then I done another 2 test like a week later and got over 90% in both....
Reply 11
Original post by meatzaper
For me mocks arent a good representation of what I'm really going to get... I don't know how it is for you though.... I done a C3 mock and got like 54% (eek) then I done another 2 test like a week later and got over 90% in both....

well the mocks were june 2010 papers! wow that's really good, how did you manage to improve from 54% to 90% :smile:
Reply 12
Chillax. Mocks are mocks are mocks. They serve as a kick up the backside, not an accurate representation of what you are likely to achieve. In saying that, you should probably start revising A.S.A.P to boost your grades from Ds to As.

Don't worry O.P, hard work pays off :smile:
Reply 13
well the mocks were june 2010 papers! wow that's really good, how did you manage to improve from 54% to 90% :smile:

Um well what I usually do is just flick through the textbook and answer a few questions( like a few hard ones and a few easy ones for each section NEVER all...) but the I mainly got 54% because I started making up my own trig identities during the test(bad memory) and I didn't know chain rule at the time... But now I have started to fix up and I cut down on the talking and eating in class....

But good luck you will probably turn it all around by Jan... oh btw I heard that the june 10 paper was harder than some of the older ones... or it could have been the jan 10... I can't remember now :\
Reply 14
Original post by ragaa
What units do you have?

C3
unit 3 biology and chemistry
Reply 15
Yes it's possible. And yes you will need to work hard. Mocks are usually a good indicator of your final grade anyway.

But also remember. Neither are your predicted grades. Just because you were predicted high grades does not mean you will achieve them easily or at all. Not to be negative or anything but just don't get lazy!
Reply 16

to be honest biology is a really ****ed up subject. It's near impossible to pinch all the marks from my experience
I always got D's and E's in mocks because they were taken before I'd really done any work for the exams - in the end, I did far far better. :wink:

Just get on with buckling down, and I'm sure all will be fine. No need to work day and night, either. In fact, it's best not to.
Reply 18
If you haven't started revising, it's natural that you won't do as well as you would if you'd done a bit of revision. So as long as you work for these exams you'll be fine, I'm sure, unless the predictions were completely unwarranted.
Good effort.

But tbh, like everyone else has said, just study as much as possible between now and your exams and you'll be fine. If that's what you're predicted, then you must be capable of acheiving that.

Quick Reply

Latest