The Student Room Group

How do i not use narrative¬??!?!!?

If i was goign to use no narraitive in my history coursework, how would i write it?

im sorry i dont really understand..lol

can someone give me an example
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
ugh :angry:
Reply 2
help me
Reply 3
Don't just tell a story, i.e this happened then this happened.

Offer critical analysis, compare historians viewpoints, use primary and secondary evidence to make points rather than giving a written version of a timeline.
Reply 4
Original post by helpneeded-a
If i was goign to use no narraitive in my history coursework, how would i write it?

im sorry i dont really understand..lol

can someone give me an example

As someone who has suffered from this horrible yet instinctive method of writing, maybe I can help. When you present a concept or an event as a point, it is very easy to explain it in some sort of chronological detail. Now even doing this for a sentence is bad. The events you present as points should have a wiff of detail added to them to give your point strength in assessing the impact of something or when investigating how far x do y.
Say a fact. Then say how it is significant.
e.g Henry the eight had six wives as he wanted a son.

Fact = Henry the VIII divorced Catherine of Argaon as married the younger women. Analysis = This is significant as it could be assumed that Henry married a younger women as there was more chance of having more women, which meant there was more chance of having a son.

Your essay should be written better than my dribble but you can see the difference. At college at use to write in two colours black for story/facts, orange for narrative. The orange part should be the more prominant colour.
Reply 6
My best bit of advice is ask yourself what the importance of what you are writing is. You are trying to establish a view via analysis and thus have this at the forefront of your mind.
Explain, explain, explain. How did X affect Y? How did it result in N occurring? What lead on from X? Why is that important? etc

Compare and contrast other historians' views (if it's a coursework with sources) - rip them apart using each other.

And don't forget to ask your teacher for help - get them to point out where your weaknesses lie and how to improve your work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending