The Student Room Group

Are Scottish Highers the Equivalent to A level

Hello. TSR Buds and Budettes.

I am studying for my AS. and as we all know annoyingly enough the BBC doesnt have a Bitesize service for A levels. So I was wondering can I use BBC Bitesize scottish highers for my A level revision instead. Can I use it alongside my materials or would it be an utter waste of time.

This is why I want to know Is it the same as A levels just painted in tartan :h::h::2euk48l:
Reply 1
Original post by Sir Jonathan
Hello. TSR Buds and Budettes.

I am studying for my AS. and as we all know annoyingly enough the BBC doesnt have a Bitesize service for A levels. So I was wondering can I use BBC Bitesize scottish highers for my A level revision instead. Can I use it alongside my materials or would it be an utter waste of time.

This is why I want to know Is it the same as A levels just painted in tartan :h::h::2euk48l:

Probably a waste of time, since advanced highers are equivalent to A-level, not just highers :smile:
Reply 2
No, Highers (I think) are roughly equivalent to AS Levels and so our Advanced Highers are pretty much equivalent to A Levels, but are worth more UCAS points as far as I know. In terms of what it takes to get Scottish students into University, however, it's Highers that matter whereas it's A Levels in England.
Reply 3
In my brain:
AS Levels = Highers
A-Levels > Highers.
A-levels are wanted from english students and highers (mostly) wanted from scottish.
However,
Advanced Highers > A-Levels.
but not by a lot. But I don't really know what that means.
Reply 4
Original post by Cinqueta
Probably a waste of time, since advanced highers are equivalent to A-level, not just highers :smile:

Original post by lastplace
No, Highers (I think) are roughly equivalent to AS Levels and so our Advanced Highers are pretty much equivalent to A Levels, but are worth more UCAS points as far as I know. In terms of what it takes to get Scottish students into University, however, it's Highers that matter whereas it's A Levels in England.

Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
In my brain:
AS Levels = Highers
A-Levels > Highers.
A-levels are wanted from english students and highers (mostly) wanted from scottish.
However,
Advanced Highers > A-Levels.
but not by a lot. But I don't really know what that means.

Thanks guys. So I take it that it is good enough for AS revision not A2. Okey dokey. I will probably stick more to my resources I already have.

The BBC need to shape up dramatically. Make some A level revision stuff and maybe IB for the future
Reply 5
Original post by Sir Jonathan
Thanks guys. So I take it that it is good enough for AS revision not A2. Okey dokey. I will probably stick more to my resources I already have.

The BBC need to shape up dramatically. Make some A level revision stuff and maybe IB for the future

AYE.
There are some quizes/tests on the highers bit that you could try?
-the tests (and revision parts) are split into sections so if AS levels teach more/different areas that highers do, you can just pick the topics that are the same.
and what's the harm in doing a wee test out of 10 marks? :tongue:
it'll also show how simular they are.

:biggrin:
Ok as a Scottish student who started High School in England I can tell you that Highers are directly equivalent to A Levels and Advanced Highers are First Year Uni level which is why they are optional and can be used in direct entry, which means that you can skip your first year of uni if you have the corresponding Advanced Highers.
Original post by GingerPride
Ok as a Scottish student who started High School in England I can tell you that Highers are directly equivalent to A Levels and Advanced Highers are First Year Uni level which is why they are optional and can be used in direct entry, which means that you can skip your first year of uni if you have the corresponding Advanced Highers.

Yeah that's what I think as well!:ahee:
It's been absolute hell for me because I want to study at a Uni in England and I've been really confused by people saying A levels are equivalent to advanced highers. It fried my brain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending