The Student Room Group

How did you choose your uni?

Hi! I've applied for History and Politics and received offers from all 3 uni's!
Lancaster - ABB
Portsmouth - 280 points including a B in history
Keele - 300 points

I've applied for history and sociology at Aberdeen and Canterbury.
Aberdeen is out of the window even though I loved it because it's just too far :frown:
And I havent heard from Canterbury yet...

I love them all equally and I have no idea how I'm going to choose a uni...

How did you choose?
Was it the right choice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When I applied last year for 2010 entry I was dead set on going to Birmingham for law. It was the most beautiful place and the law school was stunning. However I missed out on the offer and reapplied for 2011 entry. Turns out Birmingham wasn't for me as I was rejected this time round.

So Reading it is! I think it is the right choice and I like to think things happen for a reason.

Good luck with your other choices :smile:
Primarily very stupidly, then secondarily very easily.

Primarily: I applied for maths and stats, and got offers from London School of Economics, Bath and York. Put LSE as firm because it was the most prestigious (:facepalm:) and York as insurance because it gave me the most room to trip up (:facepalm: :facepalm:) - I would heartily not recommend choosing unis this way, especially considering Bath was my actual favourite. However, ultimately it wouldn't matter because...

Secondarily: I later realised I didn't want to do maths and stats, and that the course I did want to do wasn't run at either LSE or York. I got released, then used Clearing as an attempt to get into this new course. There were two unis in Clearing for it, Anglia Ruskin and Bradford. Not a fan of Bradford as a place, but having lived near Cambridge for many years I know it's nice ... so went for that one.

Neither of those are applicable to you, though. I suppose your big decision is do you prefer politics or sociology?
Reply 3
I plan on just using a dart board. So much easier.
Reply 4
Don't choose anywhere just because it's by the sea.
I chose a couple of 'prestigious' uni's (Reading, York etc), then went for a totally random option.
I ended up at Chester, my totally random option, and I haven't looked back since. I really hated Reading - too many '60s buildings, and I would never have fitted in at York.
But then again, my totally random choices have worked out for me. Do what works out for you :smile:
I really struggled to decide and didn't make the decision to the last day [before my offers would be automatically rejected]...

Offers: Warwick, Cardiff, Lancaster, Hull and Bangor.

Cardiff - Liked it but it was too far away.
Bangor - Only ever an insurance option really and I didn't like it as much on my second visit.

Warwick - Visited twice. The first time I hated it - couldn't wait to leave. The second time, I gave it more of a chance but still ended up just not liking the place. It wasn't for me.

That left Lancaster and Hull. I adored, absolutely adored, Hull. I think my family expected me to put that as my first choice. I don't know why I didn't to be frank. I genuinely don't lol.

First Choice: Lancaster.
Insurance Choice: Hull.
Even on results day I kind of hoped I would get the grade for Hull, not Lancaster, but that didn't happen and so here I am three years on...

I sometimes thought I would be happier in Hull but I think these things happen for a reason. I am having a good time here and have experienced some amazing things through the volunteering unit and societies etc. I am getting ready to move on, but I am certainly not sad that I ended up here in Lancaster. :smile:

It is a hard choice. I remember weighing up the pros and cons for hours! In the end, I went with a gut feeling. I don't think things would have turned out better elsewhere, so I think that might be a good way to decide lol.

Hope you end up happy, wherever you go. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Potiron
Don't choose anywhere just because it's by the sea.

That was one of my requirements when I first started looking at universities lol! I was looking at places like Swansea, Bangor, Exeter, Scarborough campus of Hull University etc.

I agree though. Not the best thing to use to decide. That said, I am very close to the sea now and thoroughly enjoy having a sea view of sorts from my bedroom window. :biggrin:
Reply 8
My current Uni (in Austria), is the only one offering a Tourism course taught entirely in English.
For my Master's (starting next year), I chose Warwick because it has a good reputation for business, good relations to employers, and a nice campus from what I hear.
Reply 9
Essex came to my home country to visit an uni expo for higher education. I got a prospectus and started doing anything to get into Essex.

But now I realized that my Film Studies course is so messed up. In my first year I have got two redundant modules - they had nothing to do with Film Studies. In Intro to Film Production my whole group hardly learned anything, especially at lighting session.

Now in my second year, my Filmmaking class is such shambles - my tutor doesn't know we are University students, does not know any deadlines for essays, film projects and stuff and only urges us to hurry up. Our project deadline is Jan 19th and he keeps on urging us to do it by the end of term. He also thinks we have only one module - Filmmaking. In fact, we have three other in which we had lots of bloody essays to do. All in all, the whole course is one big mess :frown:

I think I made a mistake choosing Essex. :frown:
Reply 10
I picked 5 out of a hat....hope they were the right choice. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Samus2
Hi! I've applied for History and Politics and received offers from all 3 uni's!
Lancaster - ABB
Portsmouth - 280 points including a B in history
Keele - 300 points

I've applied for history and sociology at Aberdeen and Canterbury.
Aberdeen is out of the window even though I loved it because it's just too far :frown:
And I havent heard from Canterbury yet...

I love them all equally and I have no idea how I'm going to choose a uni...

How did you choose?
Was it the right choice?

Fellow History and Politics for Keele appliant here :wink: (same offer)
Reply 12
eeny....meeny...miney....
Clearing :frown:
I chose my five choices based on totally random reasons. :colondollar:
Such as, how informative and helpful the prospectus was, how helpful the unis were when I emailed them,
how high the student satisfaction rate was for my course and the Uni overall, and most importantly if the course was what I wanted.

One of my choice's course has no exams, it's a 100% coursework and it is also very flexile in terms of modules, so I'm leaning towards that.
Reply 15
I tried to choose unis that i felt like i would have a chance of getting in to.

Didnt want to go to London as i feel the extra cost involved probably wasnt worth it and i was never realistically going to get into LSE/UCL.

Also, didnt want to move too far away from home or to a really small city.

Applied to
Cardiff
Birmingham
Reading
Aston

All within 90mins drive of Bristol where i currently live, all very achievable and each in a fairly decent city in comparison to Bristol.

Also applied to UWE, this is only an absoloute last resort though, really dont wish to go here however my college has strong links with them and they are almost certain to offer me a place with very low entry requirements.
Original post by Samus2

Don't say that. I'm starting at Aberdeen in 2011 and I'm from Kent. I'm a little bit daunted but it's a challenge. If you really like it, then you should be willing to take a chance.

I chose Aberdeen because the city is just fantastic, the facilities (I jizzed everywhere when I saw the sports village) are great and it offers a really flexible course. I may be technically going to study Linguistics but I could end up doing pretty much anything. I seriously can't wait for next September to roll around.
Original post by 69Crazyfists
Original post by Samus2

Don't say that. I'm starting at Aberdeen in 2011 and I'm from Kent. I'm a little bit daunted but it's a challenge. If you really like it, then you should be willing to take a chance.

I chose Aberdeen because the city is just fantastic, the facilities (I jizzed everywhere when I saw the sports village) are great and it offers a really flexible course. I may be technically going to study Linguistics but I could end up doing pretty much anything. I seriously can't wait for next September to roll around.

Yeah, don't say that or you'll get RamocitoMorales here banging on about Aberdeen again.
Reply 18
Original post by Captain92
Fellow History and Politics for Keele appliant here :wink: (same offer)

I haven't had a chance to visit but the modules sound amazing! Have you visited?
Reply 19
Original post by 69Crazyfists

I loved it but I honestly think it's too far :frown: my main concern is moving up there and the fact that I'm useless in the cold - raynauds disease and at present it's -17 :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending