The Student Room Group

Ever had a shocking moment to do with an offer?

Just because I need something to entertain me, was wondering who has had some really shocking circumstances around offers....list anything!

Like a reeeally high or low offer, an offer at 11:15pm or someone ring you up especially to tell you they were giving you an offer or something. Anything!

Mine would be last time I applied 2 years ago when I was predicted AAA and was applying for Architecture. I had applied to Newcastle (who give out AAA offers) and they rung my mobile when I was in the middle of a lecture at college to tell me not only were they giving me an offer, they were lowering it to BBB :s-smilie: and considering its such a competitive course to get into....i was pretty shocked.

Needless to say I firmed another uni I preffered, ended up messing up my exams, got BBB, went into clearing, got into UWE, went to study there, decided I didnt want to do architecture and now here I am now reapplying for marketing management! isnt life FUNNY like that...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by +epic
Just because I need something to entertain me, was wondering who has had some really shocking circumstances around offers....list anything!

Like a reeeally high or low offer, an offer at 11:15pm or someone ring you up especially to tell you they were giving you an offer or something. Anything!

Mine would be last time I applied 2 years ago when I was predicted AAA and was applying for Architecture. I had applied to Newcastle (who give out AAA offers) and they rung my mobile when I was in the middle of a lecture at college to tell me not only were they giving me an offer, they were lowering it to BBB :s-smilie: and considering its such a competitive course to get into....i was pretty shocked.

Needless to say I firmed another uni I preffered, ended up messing up my exams, got BBB, went into clearing, got into UWE, went to study there, decided I didnt want to do architecture and now here I am now reapplying for marketing management! isnt life FUNNY like that...

Why did you not insure it, though? :eek3: Anyway, here's my story:

I was applying for optometry through Clearing, and always knew it was a bit unlikely to work because I didn't really have the A-levels. When I first spoke to him, the admissions tutor said he wanted a few days to consider it, so he'd call me back on a Thursday (this was on a Monday.)

On Thursday, he phoned me to say he's umm-ed and ah-ed over it, but decided he couldn't accept me. Thanked him for his time and joked that I hoped he remembered me when he received my application for 2010, hung up and was discussing it with my family ("No, he didn't feel I have the background required ... I suppose I'll fast-track a couple more science A-levels and reapply...", things like that) when, five minutes later, another phone call.

"I was just looking at your application again and you're clearly a clever person... You know what? I'm going to take a risk on you and make you an offer!" Great, great moment. And I'm still here, halfway through my second year, so I'm pleased he took the risk and I hope he is too. :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
Why did you not insure it, though? :eek3:

because they said it would have to be my firm if they were going to give me a lower offer, or they knew I would just put it as insurance! :frown: I wasnt that bothered at the time though, I had my heart set on Nottingham uni lol.
Reply 3
I didn't have any replies yesterday, and I'd sent my application off in nov, so was a bit nervy... I got an offer from Southampton when I checked, and got all excited...

Then I was in P6, which is a Mechanics class with only 3 people and the teacher in.

I got an email to my BB about an interview at Imperial, which i'm DYING to get into.

I literally flapped my arms and "WOOOOOOOOO!"-ed....

I got some funny looks...
well i got into Southampton and they ask for AAB
but my predicted grades are ABB
thats about it.
Reply 5
I got an offer from sheffield for ABB when my predicted grades are about BCC! It's getting the grades that's the problem now, but i'm chuffed anyway!
Reply 6
Bristol's standard offer is A*AA including Maths. But my offer says AA.
Offer from Imperial at 11:56pm that's A* in maths AAA
I wondered if I was just sleepy, went back in the morning and I'd missed an 'a' so it was actually
A*(maths)AAAa
I applied to Bangor for my insurance place, because they stated they only wanted BBB and im predicted A*AA

But then they gave me an offer for AAB, so now i have no insurance place :biggrin: Isn't life just great....
Reply 9
Getting such an early offer from LSE for such a competitive course. I wasn't expecting to hear until March/April.
Reply 10
When recently, I found out on 24th November that I have an interview at Liverpool on 1st December for medicine! I was SO suprised! :biggrin:
Hmm... I got two Imperial offers (saw the emails on my iPhone) on the day I was having my Cambridge interview :biggrin:

Oh, and at my UCL interview I managed to negotiate down my offer from "AAA-AAB" to just AB :yep:
Well this just happened now, I was reminded by this thread to check my ucas track and I got a Conditional offer!!! Thanks OP lol:biggrin:
Reply 13
The fact I got an offer at all shocked me!
I was resigned to the fact I would get 5 rejections. :biggrin:
Reply 14
I got an unconditional offer a couple hours after my interview, was pretty happy about that!
Reply 15
Last year got an offer from Loughborough for Chemistry and Sports Science: "finish your current course"...

also, I e-mailed Bristol if I could visit the uni and received the reply around midnight...then had a series of e-mail replies to my questions until 2am.
When Southampton gave me an offer of BBB.. Woopee! I already have that! Oh wait. EXCLUDING history. :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by i.am.lost
Hmm... I got two Imperial offers (saw the emails on my iPhone) on the day I was having my Cambridge interview :biggrin:

Oh, and at my UCL interview I managed to negotiate down my offer from "AAA-AAB" to just AB :yep:

How did you 'negotiate' the offer down to AB :confused: are you allowed to ask them to offer lower grades?
My first choice gave me a place even though i was a grade away from the requirement. God i was happy
Well this isn't about me, but thought I'd mention it anyway

I have a friend that applied to do veterinary medicine last year, and got all four rejections so I thought to myself, ahh good, someone to hang out with this year since we both got all four rejections for the course we wanted to do
However on results day, Liverpool uni rang him up on his mobile and gave him a place should he want it
Needless to say he's at liverpool, and I'm dead jealous they did that for him :rolleyes:
He was pleased to say the least though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending