The Student Room Group

Why are people so ignorant about suicide and depression?

Scroll to see replies

ITT: People who can't admit they have no clue what they're talking about but continue to act as if they do to come across as superior and intelligent on the internet.
Original post by Architecture-er
Read my post thoroughly before berating me about something which isn't even my viewpoint. Immature child. Don't rage at people you know nothing about in order to make yourself feel older, because you will fail.

I was replying from the viewpoint of one of the insensitive morons, grow up :eek:

p.s. Don't try avoiding the swear filter.

"Note, this isn't how I think (though I do think this about teenage girls who get 'depressed' over a tiny relationship or whatever)."
Whether you believe all of the things in your list or not, you definitely give the air of ignorance and callousness about depression.
I am not immature, you don't know anything about me either. How old are you? What has age got to do with anything anyway? I have been through more in 16 years than most people do in 60, so don't tell me about myself please, because I know exactly what and who I am.
Original post by .Ali.
Depression is a chemical imbalance for Gods sake

Excellent definition. :top:
Reply 123
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Why is that?

Because you have reduced your life to a collection of chemicals for for every little part of yourself.
Taking your own life is a cowards way out
Suicide- the easy way out. Suicide is for cowards and those who kill themselves didnt deserve life (not talking about euthanasia/assisted suicide)
I think most people find it hard to relate to mental conditions... which might make them ignorant.
Reply 127
Original post by Lewroll
Suicide- the easy way out. Suicide is for cowards and those who kill themselves didnt deserve life (not talking about euthanasia/assisted suicide)

I hope you never feel suicidal.
All the best.
Original post by Captain92
I hope you never feel suicidal.
All the best.

I will never feel suicidal because I am not mentally unstable, if I have a problem, I sort it out, I dont try to 'kill myself'.
All the best.
People usually don't understand what they haven't experienced :/ It isn't really taught in schools.

I find young people in particular, can be very cruel and ignorant towards this subject.
Reply 130
Original post by Lewroll
I will never feel suicidal because I am not mentally unstable, if I have a problem, I sort it out, I dont try to 'kill myself'.
All the best.

Ah, ok. So people with schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder should just 'sort themselves out'?
Original post by Lewroll
All the best.

There are sometimes issues which can't just be 'sorted out'.
Sometimes it is chemical (hence drugs can help) or the lack of a chemical.

Other times, it is the person themselves who have grown up with a disadvantaged way of thinking which tints the world grey.

Or it could be a combination.

Screw those who spewed out that hatred and ****. Most people with half a brain know that is a load of *******s :smile:
Original post by Captain92
Ah, ok. So people with schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder should just 'sort themselves out'?

Ah so people with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder should just 'kill themselves'

Dont be silly, these things can be treated, they may not be permanently curable but they people with these things can still have a decent quality of life with the right help. Suicide is NEVER the answer (unless in euthanasia cases)
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Considering that the term 'chemical imbalance' implies that there is some sort of 'balance' to begin with, the buzzphrase does not particularly start off on solid grounds.

If you want to be a little more specific about what 'chemical imbalance' you are referring to, I can address it more appropriately.

Third Year Psychology Student

VS

Original post by .Ali.
A lack of serotonin, and in some cases, dopamine (but that depends on the specific case).

AS-Level Psychology/ Biology Student

Who will win?
Original post by lightburns
There are sometimes issues which can't just be 'sorted out'.

Yeah I know. Does that mean the people should just kill themselves? In cases of depression people can be treated and sometimes cured. For other things treatment is the answer not suicide. If someone kills themselves not only have they failed at life, but it seems like society has failed for not providing the correct help.
Original post by adam_zed
Third Year Psychology Student

VS

AS-Level Psychology/ Biology Student

Who will win?

Lol, should be an exciting battle!
Original post by Lewroll
Ah so people with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder should just 'kill themselves'

Dont be silly, these things can be treated, they may not be permanently curable but they people with these things can still have a decent quality of life with the right help. Suicide is NEVER the answer (unless in euthanasia cases)

Each case of mental illness is individual, you are generalizing a whole bunch of people. Some people would be able to cope to varying degrees, although its not really anyone place to tell if someone 'coping' or not.

Also, I don't believe in euthanasia, its way too easy to manipulate I feel.
Reply 138
Original post by Lewroll

I wasn't implying that suicide is a desirable outcome, I was simply trying to dispell the idea that it is 'weak' or 'cowardly'. People are not often diagnosed with these illnesses and others like them as soon as symptoms appear, thus they are vulnerable to suicide before any treatment options have been opened up to them.

I'm not being antagonistic or trying to start an e-fight, I'm just defending my corner.
Original post by Little_My
Each case of mental illness is individual, you are generalizing a whole bunch of people. Some people would be able to cope to varying degrees, although its not really anyone place to tell if someone 'coping' or not.

Also, I don't believe in euthanasia, its way too easy to manipulate I feel.

I dont understand, are you defending people (who can be treated) killing themselves? Why? If someone goes to kill themselves after help was given than obviously we've been wasting our time. If the person still kills themself after help is given they were a waste of time and society is probably better off without these people. Survival of the fittest, and if the weak dont want to be helped, than they leave them to take the easy way out.

Surely you must agree with the principals behind euthanasia (even if its different in practive. I agree with euthanasia because there is a difference between killing someone with no quality of life who probably cant be treated, and someone with 'depression' or 'schizophrenia' killing themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending