The Student Room Group

Are Labour party members stupid?

I just watched a live Q and A session and i couldn't help but wonder why so many people still support Labour, attacking coalition plans to do something about the state of this countries finances, while offering no sensible ideas.

I mean people must surely see that this was all a result of 13 years under Labour and its actually their fault! but no, the conservatives try and clean up after them and are forced to raise taxes or make cuts, so everyone hates them and votes Labour again, who then go on another spending spree trying to buy votes.

Their new leader is the most un-charismatic character and comes across as desperate and just takes every opportunity to disagree with the coalition, even if its a Labour policy too!

Considering Labour's policy of a Graduate tax, we're pretty lucky to be getting the tuition fee deal we are getting. That would have been even more unfair. 2% on minimum wage would have been a lot to pay, and would have been nothing for a graduate on 60k - not progressive at all.

Ed Milliband..
You need to ask yourself a simple question.
Are you serious?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This will end well.
The thing is if Labour won the General Election, they would actually be proposing the current reforms. :sigh:
Reply 3
Intelligent Labour Party Member representing.
Reply 4
Maybe. But I cannot fathom why any normal human being would vote for, let alone be part of the Tory party.
Reply 5
It's important to realise that being a member of the Labour Party does not mean fully supporting Labour's record in Government or fully supporting the current party policy on every single issue.
Reply 6
Labour would resolve the deficit issue greater in comparison to the Conservatives who plan to bulldoze the welfare state.
Reply 7
Original post by JacksterD
It's important to realise that being a member of the Labour Party does not mean fully supporting Labour's record in Government or fully supporting the current party policy on every single issue.

This.
Original post by borat47
I just watched a live Q and A session and i couldn't help but wonder why so many people still support Labour, attacking coalition plans to do something about the state of this countries finances, while offering no sensible ideas.

I mean people must surely see that this was all a result of 13 years under Labour and its actually their fault! but no, the conservatives try and clean up after them and are forced to raise taxes or make cuts, so everyone hates them and votes Labour again, who then go on another spending spree trying to buy votes.

Their new leader is the most un-charismatic character and comes across as desperate and just takes every opportunity to disagree with the coalition, even if its a Labour policy too!

Considering Labour's policy of a Graduate tax, we're pretty lucky to be getting the tuition fee deal we are getting. That would have been even more unfair. 2% on minimum wage would have been a lot to pay, and would have been nothing for a graduate on 60k - not progressive at all.

Ed Milliband..
Are you serious?

FINALLY, someone on TSR who agrees that Labour are idiots!

Original post by F i s
Labour would resolve the deficit issue greater in comparison to the Conservatives who plan to bulldoze the welfare state.

Resolve? They caused the deficit.
Reply 9
Yes.

/Thread.
Reply 10
Original post by borat47

Ed Milliband..
Are you serious?

+ repped, not that i care much about that stuff.

Anyway, there should be a poll included and the obvious answer = Yes.
Original post by borat47

If you haven't noticed Labour have a new leader, which generally means that the direction of the party will change somewhat, hence why Labour have not yet offered any alternatives, it takes time to draft plans, you cannot do it instantly, to think so is pure idiocy. I'd suggest we wait another few months before waiting to see what plans the Labour party would suggest instead. The coalition has had to rush making its own plans because it is in government and hence can not afford to be seen to do nothing.

Yes and the deficit has absolutely nothing to do with the global financial crisis, don't forget that 6 months before the Lehman Brothers collapsed George Osborne was attacking the then Labour government for not allowing the banks to have even less regulation. Hindsight is a wonderous thing to have, but it is not useful all the time.

Really? Is Ed Milliband really less charismatic than Gordon Brown? By no means does he have the charisma of Tony Blair, but to say he is the less charismatic than Gordon Brown is, frankly, absurd.

To be honest I've not checked Labour's graduate tax policy, so I haven't yet analysed it and to be honest, it will probably be different by the next general election, unless the coalition government collapses, so I can't really comment on it.

Ed Milliband..
Are you serious?

He is a new leader and didn't play a particularly large role in the last Labour government, i.e. he wasn't a minister, so he is still adjusting to the job. Give him a until say March and then judge him. The fact he wasn't part of the last Labour government can only really help, as he doesn't have the stigma of being associated with Gordon Brown's failures.
Reply 12
Yes, yes they are. I do not know how New Labour were relected once let alone twice.
How people can even consider voting for them now is beyond me.
Yes.

Next question, please.
Reply 14
Yeah, everyone knows if the Tories had been in there would have been no global collapse, and they obviously would have been tough on their banker chums atleast saving us some money(!)
Reply 15
Original post by VagnTheBrave

Really? Is Ed Milliband really less charismatic than Gordon Brown? By no means does he have the charisma of Tony Blair, but to say he is the less charismatic than Gordon Brown is, frankly, absurd.

There are other parts of your post I disagreed with, but just to address this one.

Ed Milliband may not be as ugly, monotonous, tired looking, grumpy etc. as Brown. However, Brown had something that made him connect with a certain demographic. I don't know how that demographic can be defined, maybe 'boring people'? But Ed Milliband even lacks that. :lol:

Edited to add: Labour is doomed. People will see passed their farce sooner or later, or so I hope atleast..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by borat47
2% on minimum wage would have been a lot to pay, and would have been nothing for a graduate on 60k - not progressive at all.

*facepalm*
No. They are just deluded.
Reply 18
Neg rep?

There seems to be a few Labour supporters here.

WHAT HAS BECOME OF THE WORLD?!
Having Ed Miliband as a leader really doesn't help their image :P
I'm not really against Labour, but he is an idiot and makes the whole Labour party look like idiots too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending