The Student Room Group

What's everyone's opinions on dreadlocks?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think that on black people, they can look good.

On white people with ginger hair, they look ****ing stupid.
Reply 21
Original post by Lewroll
Doesnt really look right unless you're black. It seems to work for you though :biggrin:

Haa cheers :smile:

Original post by Blueflare
From what I have heard about them they sound kind of unhygienic tbh. How often are they washed? That's the main factor in my deciding whether I like them on someone...

I wash them pretty much every other day, same as before I had them.
i like all kinds of longhair styles - dreadlocks are no exception. ^^
Why is it that most white guys I see with dreads are ginger?
Reply 24
Original post by DanniSteele
Had mine for 10 months now, and I love em! Just curious about other people's thoughts :smile:

And yeah, they do get washed and are totally clean and stuff.

Pic is a bit dark, but my parrot is asleep and didn't want to wake her :tongue:

Yeaah Man!!
Reply 25
Original post by nathan2010
Why is it that most white guys I see with dreads are ginger?

lool isit?? this is the first one i've seen... whenever I see white guys with dreds I shout out: 'There's a white dude with dreads'.. usually get some dirty looks but they had it coming tbh
Reply 26
I think they look quite dirty. I just can't help but make a connection with people who sell Big Issue.
Reply 27
They look OK on you, but generally I don't like them.
Reply 28
Original post by Einheri
On blonde girls with fair skin and light blue eyes they look awesome, everyone else . . . meh.

I fit your description and really want dreads, but I have very long hair and I couldn't bare to cut it off when I wanted normal hair again!
Original post by Mutsu
I fit your description and really want dreads, but I have very long hair and I couldn't bare to cut it off when I wanted normal hair again!

You don't have to cut them off, if you have lots of patience and lots of conditioner you can brush most dreads out, I've heard it's quite painful though.

My dreads were 2 months old on Wednesday, I daren't post a picture cos I have a rats nest for hair.
Reply 30
Original post by Mutsu

You wouldn't have to. It's a common misconception that they have to be chopped but you can detangle them with special creams and soaps (for example: http://www.treasuredlocks.com/knot-no-more-lock-removal-cream.html ). I was looking into dreadlocks for a while and as I have waist-length hair I was worried about the same thing.
Reply 31
Like any hairstyle it can work and look nice or be done badly or not suit the person. I usually like them though, regardless of the race of the wearer.
Reply 32
Original post by OceanInTheSky
Terrible unless you're Jamaican.

What? Why? :s-smilie: Loc'ing hair has been around for longer than Jamaica has even been a country.
Reply 33
Original post by Einheri
You wouldn't have to. It's a common misconception that they have to be chopped but you can detangle them with special creams and soaps (for example: http://www.treasuredlocks.com/knot-no-more-lock-removal-cream.html ). I was looking into dreadlocks for a while and as I have waist-length hair I was worried about the same thing.

Waist-length hair?!!! :woo: :eek3: *wants to see it* :o:
Reply 34
I had fake plait in ones a while ago, I loved them :smile:
They were candy cane pink.

Personally, dreads can look good on some people. They can look really feminine on girls, and look good on some guys with good bone structure.

Your picture isn't very good, but I think you suit them :smile:
Original post by Einheri

You don't need any special products, shampoos or waxes to get (or indeed remove) dreads. I wash mine with washing up liquid, it's cheap!

Wax stops your hair knotting up and only makes your hair look like dreads, it also attracts dust and is sticky and gross. So don't use it!
I like them. They look better longer, though.
Original post by Nynyflower
I wash mine with washing up liquid

srs? :lolwut:
Agreed with all the people saying stay away unless you're black. It's like cornrows, just looks plain WRONG on white people :P
Greasy. Horrid. Manky.

Newton Faulkner makes me feel a bit sick. He's essentially quite attractive but his hair is repulsive.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest