The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Northumbria course and accommodation advice

I applied to Northumbria for Marketing Management and my UCAS was processed only 3 days ago.

Basically, I havent seen the uni before and cant find any decent pics on the site.

Can anyone tell me what the uni is like? Is the business school nice? Is it in a good location? I hate gettiung buses everywhere so def dont want to be doing that!

Also, what accomm is best for the business school?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by +epic
I applied to Northumbria for Marketing Management and my UCAS was processed only 3 days ago.

Basically, I havent seen the uni before and cant find any decent pics on the site.

Can anyone tell me what the uni is like? Is the business school nice? Is it in a good location? I hate gettiung buses everywhere so def dont want to be doing that!

Thanks!

I've applied for the same course! I've gotten an offer about a week ago. The business school looks rather good imo:

Otherwise, the uni is approximately 5 mins walk from the city centre and the majority of the accommodation is up to 10 minutes from the uni. I didn't have the chance to visit the uni as well, but these are some information, that I've read on their website.
Are you thinking about firming Northumbria?
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
Well I have applied to Northumbria, MMU, Nottingham Trent, UWE and UWIC.

If I was to get all 5 offers, I think I would go to the open days and then decide, but so far I rank them as:

Northumbria
Nottingham Trent
MMU
UWE
UWIC
Reply 3
i appled to northumbria too :biggrin:

how long did you take to receive a offer !?
Reply 4
Original post by FF-
i appled to northumbria too :biggrin:

how long did you take to receive a offer !?

8 days including weekend for Marketing Management. :biggrin:
Reply 5
cool, thats preety quick ! i wish i get mine soon :smile:
Reply 6
8 days?! Holy shizzzzz
Reply 7
I cant even log on to track yet! How do you know when you can :s-smilie: I have forgotten since I applied 2 years ago!
Reply 8
i think you only can when you receive the welcome letter !
Reply 9
I managed to log in to Track on the day the application was processed! Just keep trying! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Oh my god! I just logged on to my UWE welcome page thing and it says I have an unconditional offer, and yet I still cant even log onto track yet! They only recieved it yesterday?!
Original post by +epic

Thanks!

The business school is in the new building, which is very nice :yep: It's technically called 'City Campus East' and there's lots of photos on Google, here - http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=City+Campus+East&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=685

City Campus is literally 5 minutes walk from Northumberland street, and Northumberland street is practically in the centre of town. City Campus East is just a short walk over the bridge, so it'd only add on a few more minutes.

This is the accommodation map - http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/brochure/facilities/acc/halls/ and personally, I wouldn't want to live in 1, 2, 3 or 13. 14 and 15 are the Coach Lane accommodation, so don't apply for those either unless you like walking.

As for how far it takes to get around, I'm in the Stephenson Building which is 9 on the map, and it takes me less than 10 minutes to walk to uni. Any accommodation other than Coach Lane will be fine, it looks a lot further on the map than it is in reality. My accommodation is one of the furthest away and it's still really close.
Reply 12
Original post by Sakura-Chan
The business school is in the new building, which is very nice :yep: It's technically called 'City Campus East' and there's lots of photos on Google, here - http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=City+Campus+East&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=685

City Campus is literally 5 minutes walk from Northumberland street, and Northumberland street is practically in the centre of town. City Campus East is just a short walk over the bridge, so it'd only add on a few more minutes.

This is the accommodation map - http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/brochure/facilities/acc/halls/ and personally, I wouldn't want to live in 1, 2, 3 or 13. 14 and 15 are the Coach Lane accommodation, so don't apply for those either unless you like walking.

As for how far it takes to get around, I'm in the Stephenson Building which is 9 on the map, and it takes me less than 10 minutes to walk to uni. Any accommodation other than Coach Lane will be fine, it looks a lot further on the map than it is in reality. My accommodation is one of the furthest away and it's still really close.

Ahh thats a great help! so what course are you studying? and which halls the are the nicest that are still close?
Original post by +epic
Ahh thats a great help! so what course are you studying? and which halls the are the nicest that are still close?

I'm doing Psychology :smile:

From what I've heard, and from seeing where my friends live I'd say:

Manor Bank

Camden Court

Knoll Court

Quay Point

And maybe the Stephenson Building - because it's cheap and fairly nice, especially in your in a flat for 7+ people like me! Our flat is huge, with two shower rooms, two toilets and a huge new kitchen. Rooms vary in size from huge to small-ish.

I haven't been in every single one of the accommodation buildings, and I never went to look around the uni on any open days. But if you can do that at some point I'd really advise it :smile:

These are the places I'd really avoid:

Charlotte House - because it's in the middle of town above a load of shops, and if you're unlucky you might be living directly on top of Burger King.

Clapham House - because there's a girl on my course who's been moaning for the last 3 months about how vile her accommodation is. It's at the bottom of Northumberland Road and looks a bit grotty from the outside.

Lovaine Flats - because it's specifically a ''quiet area''

Claude Gibb Hall - because the showers are shared between the whole floor. Whereas (afaik) everywhere else it's either en-suite, shared between 3-5 people, or two shower rooms shared between 7+ people.

Reply 14
Original post by Sakura-Chan
I'm doing Psychology :smile:

From what I've heard, and from seeing where my friends live I'd say:

Manor Bank

Camden Court

Knoll Court

Quay Point

And maybe the Stephenson Building - because it's cheap and fairly nice, especially in your in a flat for 7+ people like me! Our flat is huge, with two shower rooms, two toilets and a huge new kitchen. Rooms vary in size from huge to small-ish.

I haven't been in every single one of the accommodation buildings, and I never went to look around the uni on any open days. But if you can do that at some point I'd really advise it :smile:

These are the places I'd really avoid:

Charlotte House - because it's in the middle of town above a load of shops, and if you're unlucky you might be living directly on top of Burger King.

Clapham House - because there's a girl on my course who's been moaning for the last 3 months about how vile her accommodation is. It's at the bottom of Northumberland Road and looks a bit grotty from the outside.

Lovaine Flats - because it's specifically a ''quiet area''

Claude Gibb Hall - because the showers are shared between the whole floor. Whereas (afaik) everywhere else it's either en-suite, shared between 3-5 people, or two shower rooms shared between 7+ people.

Sorry for butting in, but don't all en-suites go under one choice in accommodation application?

By the way, what's so bad about being straight above Burger King? :biggrin:

Lovaine Flats is definitely where I don't want to be and the showers at Claud Gibb - Oh. My. God. Even though it might sound a bit racist from an international student, I don't want to be in halls where most of internationals are. Most of them tend to be older and quiet. :eek:
Original post by MJay91
Sorry for butting in, but don't all en-suites go under one choice in accommodation application?

Lovaine Flats is definitely where I don't want to be and the showers at Claud Gibb - Oh. My. God. Even though it might sound a bit racist from an international student, I don't want to be in halls where most of internationals are. Most of them tend to be older and quiet. :eek:

I can't really remember to be honest, you might well be right though :smile: All I remember is having to choose 10 places in order of preference.

And if you live directly above Burger King, apparently the smell will filter through upstairs.

ALSO! I forgot to mention, they're building at least two sets of new accommodation for next year! One is opposite the Stephen Building and it's nearly finished, and there's one fairly near Manor Bank. So you might have a bit more choice than stated on the website, if/when you apply :smile:
Original post by MJay91

starting to do psychology in 2011 or are you already there :iiam:
Reply 17
Original post by xox-gossipgirl
starting to do psychology in 2011 or are you already there :iiam:

Not yet. I'm starting in September. How about you? Have you already decided what accommodation do you want?

EDIT: You might want to check out this thread. Some useful info there:

Here. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by MJay91
Not yet. I'm starting in September. How about you? Have you already decided what accommodation do you want?

Haven't got all my offers back but I'm definitely leaning towards northumbria. What are you wanting to study??

Probably one of the more modern ones, not keen on Claude Gibb, I stayed in there for a summer school and didn't like the fact it was catered. :s-smilie: How about you?
Original post by MJay91

Haha I am so rubbish at this website :frown: , I thought I had replied but apparently not...
Um yes also starting next september, however still keeping my options up as I haven't heard back from everywhere :/

What have you applied for?

Quick Reply

Latest