The Student Room Group

Help me please, confused about uni choices

Hi, Ive got uncoditional offers from nottingham and keele to do biochemistry, (with neuroscience at keele) and a conditional offer for liverpool of ABB, i really want to go to sheffield but im still waiting to hear back from them so im not getting my hopes up.

Ive already basically ruled out liverpool as if i do get an offer from sheffield it will have to be ABB or ill be rejected, im trying to choose between nottingham and keele for firm or insurance (if i do get an offer from sheffield), Nottingham has the reputation and the place in the overall leauge tables and the position in the russell group but is lower than keele in the specific biosciences table and keele has higher satisfaction and employment ratings and is of course dual honours.

This is what happens when you think youll only get one unconditional offer

EDIT: Also am a big kayaker and i hear keele has no uni club and of course nottingham has the nwsc, which speaking from experience is fun
(edited 13 years ago)
Which do you think has the best course? Which uni do you (forget league tables and groups for now) prefer?
Reply 2
I dont know which id prefer if we took all those factors away as all of them do have to be taken into account, i know notts is a nice city and has a nice campus, i havent had chance to visit keele yet i was just looking to get peoples opinions on them really
Original post by alex5455
I dont know which id prefer if we took all those factors away as all of them do have to be taken into account, i know notts is a nice city and has a nice campus, i havent had chance to visit keele yet i was just looking to get peoples opinions on them really

You probably shouldn't take league table positions into account - they don't really mean very much at all.

Both are good unis - Nottingham probably has the edge on general reputation, but not really for biological-based science and enough that you should give up a good course at Keele for it, so if you want to do neuroscience go for it - and I'd recommend visiting Keele before making a decision or asking for input. You could get there and it all becomes clear.

(By the way, if you quote people [by pressing the quote button in the bottom right corner of their post] when you reply, they'll see that you've replied and are more likely to answer. :wink:)
Reply 4
Original post by TheSownRose
You probably shouldn't take league table positions into account - they don't really mean very much at all.

Both are good unis - Nottingham probably has the edge on general reputation, but not really for biological-based science and enough that you should give up a good course at Keele for it, so if you want to do neuroscience go for it - and I'd recommend visiting Keele before making a decision or asking for input. You could get there and it all becomes clear.

(By the way, if you quote people [by pressing the quote button in the bottom right corner of their post] when you reply, they'll see that you've replied and are more likely to answer. :wink:)

Yeah im not sure about neuroscience, but sounded most interesting to me of the possible combos i dont know alot about it and i will be focusing on it on my open day visit, which isnt until February, i have a long time to be bugged by this haha, i did attend nottingham trent this year and the teaching was atrocious to me, no follow up or support for students on lecture topic and i handed in an essay 3 months and 2 other assignments later I was still waiting for feedback on the "trial" piece to help me so teaching quality is of utmost importance
Yeah im not sure about neuroscience, but sounded most interesting to me of the possible combos i dont know alot about it and i will be focusing on it on my open day visit, which isnt until February, i have a long time to be bugged by this haha, i did attend nottingham trent this year and the teaching was atrocious to me, no follow up or support for students on lecture topic and i handed in an essay 3 months and 2 other assignments later I was still waiting for feedback on the "trial" piece to help me so teaching quality is of utmost importance

Oh, don't you just love far-away open days? :rolleyes:

If teaching quality is the most important thing to you, you're particularly not going to want to pay attention to league tables because to my knowledge they all consider the quality of a uni's research and, whilst it's an extremely general rule and highly open to unis disproving it, in general unis that are good at research are not the best teaching unis because their lecturers would rather be doing other things.

When you go on your open days, talk to students on the courses you're looking at and ask them how they feel about the teaching. Talk to people on here, even - both of those have forums of their own (Nottingham and Keele) - because that's the best way to find out.

Good luck, and try not to obsess over it until February - if it's not clear then, that's the time to draw on other opinions. :smile:
Reply 6
who ever invented unistats is an evil evil person, especially on the employment facts part, the pie charts are a little overly clear
Reply 7
If you get an offer from Sheffield, would it be an unconditional? I say you should wait for Sheffield's response. If you get an offer, that's great! If not I suggest you visit both Notts and Keele (hehe funny name) and see which university you prefer. If you still can't decide, see which course structure is most suited to you :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi, Ive got uncoditional offers from nottingham and keele to do biochemistry, (with neuroscience at keele) and a conditional offer for liverpool of ABB, i really want to go to sheffield but im still waiting to hear back from them so im not getting my hopes up.

Ive already basically ruled out liverpool as if i do get an offer from sheffield it will have to be ABB or ill be rejected, im trying to choose between nottingham and keele for firm or insurance (if i do get an offer from sheffield), Nottingham has the reputation and the place in the overall leauge tables and the position in the russell group but is lower than keele in the specific biosciences table and keele has higher satisfaction and employment ratings and is of course dual honours.

This is what happens when you think youll only get one unconditional offer

EDIT: Also am a big kayaker and i hear keele has no uni club and of course nottingham has the nwsc, which speaking from experience is fun

Hi... I know all 3 unis well. I lived in Nottingham and have 2 friends at the university. My sister went to Keele, and I went to Liverpool.

Nottingham: university is the only one of the three that is considered "prestigious"... it's moreso then the other two, anyway. The science department is ever-growing and there is great accommodation in and out of university, as well as plenty of jobs available for students around the city. Nightlife is apparently very good but there is a lot of theft on the streets so stuff a tenner down your pants for emergencies!

Keele: is a dump, let's be honest. If you go there it won't be because it's pretty. It's a good university, but they are known to have poor communication skills between staff and students. The science department is not that great (though they enjoying lying about this lol); keele is better for history and similar subjects. Apparently their science department regularly have changes of staff and they run out of supplies <<< been told this by 3 people from the university who studied in different years. =/ Also, my sister says "the hills are murder when you're in a rush to get to lectures!!!" lol

Liverpool: the university is OK but their grades are falling. Also, they are one of the universities that I getting some of the most cuts made (meaning good professors and supplies for students, and trips, are likely to be cut). The city is a great city with lots to offer, but be warned that sirens go off every bloody half an hour between 8:30pm and 3am >.<.... I had lots of broken sleep!
UPDATE: just saw that you've ruled it out...so ignore this bit lol XD

Hope this helps! Let us know what decision you come to. x
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by T-Toe
If you get an offer from Sheffield, would it be an unconditional? I say you should wait for Sheffield's response. If you get an offer, that's great! If not I suggest you visit both Notts and Keele (hehe funny name) and see which university you prefer. If you still can't decide, see which course structure is most suited to you :smile:

I think im likely to be rejected from sheffield, i currently have 3 B's at a level and am resitting my final biology module to boost my grade (hopefully) but from what ive heard sheffield are offering AAB this year not ABB like last year, and i still need to pick an unconditional just in case for insurance
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by ddua_dduges
Hi... I know all 3 unis well. I lived in Nottingham and have 2 friends at the university. My sister went to Keele, and I went to Liverpool.

Nottingham: university is the only one of the three that is considered "prestigious"... it's moreso then the other two, anyway. The science department is ever-growing and there is great accommodation in and out of university, as well as plenty of jobs available for students around the city. Nightlife is apparently very good but there is a lot of theft on the streets so stuff a tenner down your pants for emergencies!

Keele: is a dump, let's be honest. If you go there it won't be because it's pretty. It's a good university, but they are known to have poor communication skills between staff and students. The science department is not that great (though they enjoying lying about this lol); keele is better for history and similar subjects. Apparently their science department regularly have changes of staff and they run out of supplies <<< been told this by 3 people from the university who studied in different years. =/ Also, my sister says "the hills are murder when you're in a rush to get to lectures!!!" lol

Liverpool: the university is OK but their grades are falling. Also, they are one of the universities that I getting some of the most cuts made (meaning good professors and supplies for students, and trips, are likely to be cut). The city is a great city with lots to offer, but be warned that sirens go off every bloody half an hour between 8:30pm and 3am >.<.... I had lots of broken sleep!

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, liverpool is one im visiting but have only really ruled out because they are conditional and the only chance im taking on not getting a place in halls this year is for sheffield where i really want to go, that happened this year, not good. With having 2 unconditionals its a place, ive got no worrys finance and housing can be sorted easily, also the accent grates with me
Reply 11
I think im likely to be rejected from sheffield, i currently have 3 B's at a level and am resitting my final biology module to boost my grade (hopefully) but from what ive heard sheffield are offering AAB this year not ABB like last year, and i still need to pick an unconditional just in case for insurance

I've just checked the website the grade requirements are AAB-ABB so there's still a good chance you'll get a conditional :smile:

If you do get an offer, firm Sheffield and insure either Keele or Notts (I'd personally insure Notts).

If you don't get the offer, visit both Keele and Notts (like I said before) and see which uni you like best :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ddua_dduges

No relevance to the thread, but would you say Leeds and Liverpool are on the same level of reputation?
Reply 13
Original post by T-Toe
No relevance to the thread, but would you say Leeds and Liverpool are on the same level of reputation?

personally I would think that liverpool has the better reputation but not by alot as i do know that leeds has a good reputation, but I am from the north-west so have heard about liverpool more due to them being involved with my colleges and schools more often than other universities someone from closer to leeds may have the opposite opinion to me for the same reasons. Interestingly they were both part of the same instituion (Victoria university), as smaller components with connections to Manchester as well
Original post by T-Toe

Liverpool Uni has a greater reputation. As for city, Liverpool is also a lot better than Leeds - Liverpool have worked hard to make the city safe and I was never robbed there (even when I was walking home through dark streets in the early hours of the morning from the train station).
Reply 15
i have been rejected by sheffield, i knew it wouldnt be made easy for me

Sorry to hear that! I know nothing about your course but judging from general reputation, I would put Nottingham above Keele and Liverpool!!

Sorry to hear that. I actually have BBB at A2 as well and am resitting my a levels for Biochemistry. I've been fortunate enough to get an offer from Sheffield but also an unconditional from Nottingham which I am seriously considering. Definitely attend one of Nottingham's post-offer open days- I went on a general one and really liked the facilities, the staff were really friendly and graduates have excellent job prospects. Nottingham also offer an extra year out where you get to work in research (e.g pharmaceutical companies like GlaxoSmithKline).
Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by kbountra
Sorry to hear that. I actually have BBB at A2 as well and am resitting my a levels for Biochemistry. I've been fortunate enough to get an offer from Sheffield but also an unconditional from Nottingham which I am seriously considering. Definitely attend one of Nottingham's post-offer open days- I went on a general one and really liked the facilities, the staff were really friendly and graduates have excellent job prospects. Nottingham also offer an extra year out where you get to work in research (e.g pharmaceutical companies like GlaxoSmithKline).
Best of luck! :smile:

im visiting on the 19th of feb i think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending