The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1800
Original post by Sawasdee
Ummm Idk really, which bit of ucas application indicates that the applicant is home/international student?

Where you live as opposed to anything on the application. do you live in the UK?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1801
Original post by coffee-spoons
at least i know i wasn't the only one, makes it seem slightly better. I'm just annoyed i didn't even get an interview, to have a chance to show them how much i love philosophy and how i am good at it....they said my application wasn't as strong as others- but i got 100% in Philosophy and Religion at AS and got over 90% in my other AS's.... oh well.

Yeah, I empathise. The system is a bit chaotic. A lot of people who applied had similar grades though unfortunately; hence them having to be strict about it and let perfectly suitable candidates go. I have below average GCSE grades, but didn't go to a top school and I took a year out prior to A-levelling and I improved my grades dramatically in subjects I hadn't done before, which I hoped would show them how quickly I can learn, etc... Probably did, but it's just too competitive and my inability to draw exceptionally well in GCSE Art or remember the name of a certain type of milk in my Food Tech exam obviously serves great purpose in undergraduate philosophy. Who knew?
I'm sorry to hear my bad news is mutual, anyway.
Ah well...I'm still awaiting on Durham and KCL. I've got Leeds and York in the UCAS bag (mine was 40% off :wink: ...I joke, badly), which are fantastic universities and I can see myself at York.... sippin' tea, readin' the Rousseau <3
Trust me, once you're at university, whichever one you go to, you'll be happy. If you've applied to UCL, I'm assuming you've applied to some other really good ones too...in which case you'll get a great degree, enjoy the course, meet some great people, etc... Just don't let it get to you: it's not you, they just can't choose everyone!
Reply 1802
Hey any non-UK students got offer for Chemistry ? :tongue:
Original post by Gabriela
LSE
Oxford
Nottingham
Bristol

got an email today, unsuccessful for UCL :frown:
unsuccessful for Oxford too :frown:
I believe it was the LNAT. I feel awful

got a conditional for LSE though :smile:

heard anything today?

Oh, I'm sorry :frown:
At least you got LSE though? that's an amazing university! Not much comfort, but its something!
If you applied to Oxford, your a much better candidate than me.. i'm waiting for my UCL rejection :P
Reply 1804
has anyone got a rejection or an email for the politics and east european studies course?
Reply 1805
Just got an email with an offer for ESPS! Pretty chuffed, got to wait to see what Oxford say to me yet though :smile:
Original post by Tazmani
Yeah, I empathise. The system is a bit chaotic. A lot of people who applied had similar grades though unfortunately; hence them having to be strict about it and let perfectly suitable candidates go. I have below average GCSE grades, but didn't go to a top school and I took a year out prior to A-levelling and I improved my grades dramatically in subjects I hadn't done before, which I hoped would show them how quickly I can learn, etc... Probably did, but it's just too competitive and my inability to draw exceptionally well in GCSE Art or remember the name of a certain type of milk in my Food Tech exam obviously serves great purpose in undergraduate philosophy. Who knew?
I'm sorry to hear my bad news is mutual, anyway.
Ah well...I'm still awaiting on Durham and KCL. I've got Leeds and York in the UCAS bag (mine was 40% off :wink: ...I joke, badly), which are fantastic universities and I can see myself at York.... sippin' tea, readin' the Rousseau <3
Trust me, once you're at university, whichever one you go to, you'll be happy. If you've applied to UCL, I'm assuming you've applied to some other really good ones too...in which case you'll get a great degree, enjoy the course, meet some great people, etc... Just don't let it get to you: it's not you, they just can't choose everyone!

so,did you apply to UCL as well?
Original post by fatmali
has anyone got a rejection or an email for the politics and east european studies course?

I got an email monday saying i was through to the next 'phase'... whatever that means.
Original post by Tazmani
Rejected for Philosophy (V500) today! :bricks:
Never mind... I was expecting it. They said it was because of the competition - more simply, they said my grades weren't as good as everyone else's (This is true! Though they did match up to the typical offer, so I thought I'd give it a go anyway).
It is frustrating in the sense that they have interviews but don't make use of them properly; they only give them out to people who are highly likely to get places... surely they should ask for essays, since it's such a competitive course... For all they know, my grades aren't as good 'cause I had my head in the Encyclopaedia of Philosophy when I was sixteen, rather than in my Food Tech textbook :wink: This is something they will now never know....
Good luck to all those still waiting! :colone: (passive aggressiveness only partly intended due to present resentment; the luck-wishing is genuine)

Commiserations :frown: I was rejected for History, they said my personal statement didnt display the "sufficient motivation to study the subject"..was a bit weirded out seeing as that's all my PS concerned was how much I love History and how relevant it is to my life.
Chinu p for the rest of your unis :smile:
Original post by Kobie
yayy, now you don't have to be so scared about cambridge! well done kiddo :tongue:

Gunning for UCL as well eh? Great minds and all that :awesome: And thanks :smile: Hope you get yours soon.
Reply 1810
Original post by coffee-spoons
so,did you apply to UCL as well?

Yeah...
Anyone heard anything from any type of joint honours?
Reply 1812
Original post by natashapt
Commiserations :frown: I was rejected for History, they said my personal statement didnt display the "sufficient motivation to study the subject"..was a bit weirded out seeing as that's all my PS concerned was how much I love History and how relevant it is to my life.
Chinu p for the rest of your unis :smile:

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting to have any hope of getting in, therefore I'm just happy with the offers I have so far. I just really love/d the UCL course, but never mind. I'm sorry to hear about History - that's a bugger. I suppose they could have meant anything by that: if they said 'motivation', then I'm sure they don't doubt that you're passionate enough, but maybe that you haven't shown any evidence of what you would enjoy about it in the future or something...I dunno. I can't comment! But they just have to be picky because of limited places, I'm sure it'll go down well at the other unis you've applied to. Don't take what they've said too personally.

History in general is a great degree, no matter where you get it from! So don't worry. But I'm still sorry to hear about your news, best of luck with your other choices anyway :smile:
Original post by Tazmani
Yeah, I wasn't really expecting to have any hope of getting in, therefore I'm just happy with the offers I have so far. I just really love/d the UCL course, but never mind. I'm sorry to hear about History - that's a bugger. I suppose they could have meant anything by that: if they said 'motivation', then I'm sure they don't doubt that you're passionate enough, but maybe that you haven't shown any evidence of what you would enjoy about it in the future or something...I dunno. I can't comment! But they just have to be picky because of limited places, I'm sure it'll go down well at the other unis you've applied to. Don't take what they've said too personally.

History in general is a great degree, no matter where you get it from! So don't worry. But I'm still sorry to hear about your news, best of luck with your other choices anyway :smile:
Yeah me too It seemed so interesting! Where else have you applied to? Hmm UCL are one of those hard to get places so i'm not too disenheartened! :smile:
been waiting over a mont on UCL now, despite the fact people have been given interviews for my course. I fear rejection is coming my way :/
Totally just been invited to an open day for Psychology! :smile: It didn't specify on the email whether they intend to give me a place or not, but there's nowhere that suggests on the program of events that there's going to be an individual, one to one type interview thing. And I just found this on the website..

"All applicants who are offered a place will be invited to attend a UCL Psychology open day. This is intended to allow candidates to make an informed decision about whether the degree programme is one which they would wish to follow for three years and so all candidates (with the exception of those resident outside the UK) are usually expected to attend"

hmmm :confused:
Reply 1816
anyone here reapplicants to UCL have you heard anything? im a reapplicant and getting worried havent heard anything from any of my unis (UCL, Kings and IC)
has anyone heard anything for LAW AT UCL??

Quote me if you have or havnt so i know to look back at the thread.

CHEERS
Original post by krishanchopra

CHEERS

A few people have had offers thus far, mainly internationals.
Original post by krishanchopra

CHEERS

I've heard of a few people with offers, as already mentioned, mainly international applicants. There have also been some rejections (generally on the basis of an insufficient LNAT result) I applied (for Law with Hispanic Law) on October 1st, and set my LNAT in mid-September and have only had a confirmation of receipt of my application. I think UCL continue to send offers out for Law until March so it's just going to be a case of waiting patiently, I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending