The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PurpleyBoo
Just got rejected from Manchester today, pretty bummed about it :frown: and no reason with it which was annoying :/

Status so far is:

Newcastle: waiting (email of acknowledgment)
Manchester: rejected :'(
Sheffield: waiting
SOAS: waiting (email of acknowledgement)
Southampton: (to study japanese chinese and german) waiting

First application reply and it's a rejection kinda threw me, worried I'm gonna be left without any acceptances :/ Predicted BBB so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they care about your personal statement as well as grades.

Newcastle and Sheffield are what I'm concentrating on right now after I've lost Manchester, hows everyone else doing? xx

I'm sure you'll get an offer from either Sheffield or Newcastle, as Manchester's entry requirements are higher (AAB) than both of those (ABB). Don't worry about it!

We'll be waiting a long time for SOAS's reply. :tongue:
Hi not applying for a degree in Japanese...just want to say I'm doing a second open access course at uni (which can count towards a degree if you're doing one) and love it. I don't know what is about the language...but just because it's not an indo-european language doesn't make it harder than one with a Latin alphabet. In fact I find it much easier than French and German. I think it's the structure and that the sounds don't blur together like in European languages but rather they say them individually in a word. I also love how Hiragana looks! So pretty. So good on everyone applying. It's a great choice! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by GuineaPrig
I'm sure you'll get an offer from either Sheffield or Newcastle, as Manchester's entry requirements are higher (AAB) than both of those (ABB). Don't worry about it!

We'll be waiting a long time for SOAS's reply. :tongue:

I hope so :smile: and thank you.

Yeah SOAS don't answer till like March do they :/ At least they're really considering all our applications though :smile:
Reply 243
Original post by GuineaPrig
Ugh, SAME HERE. I'm obsessed with worksheets. I love filling out workbooks and being asked questions, it's something of a fascination of mine, lol. I can't wait to get all my Japanese books for the first year!! I hope I have to buy a workbook like the Genki one. :biggrin:

Ha ha, true. It'll be pretty fun, I hope. My friend even drew pictures for hers! Yay~

Me too, I want my reading lisssssssssssts, so I can stalk Amazon and look at how many books I can get for 1p. I think the bursary etc. will help with books costs.

Edit!: I have found reading lists for Oxford Brookes. =D A staff member from Oxford Brookes gave me a link to a website with information on all the modules of every course and if you click on a part of it when you look at them in detail, it gives you a reading list for each one!! They're long on every one so far.

Totally, me too. As I said before I've done no speaking practice except for the bare basics so I really want to go into the beginner group and make sure I've got a firm grasp of everything and can start practicing orally from scratch.

Yeah, I really want that as I am really self-conscious about my pronounciation. The '-yo', '-ya', '-yu' words really get me. I don't think I can say them correctly at all. Like, 'Ryuusei' (meteor/shooting star), for example.

I'm glad it went well for you, I hope the speaking one went okay, too. The IGCSE exam did have role play in it, I got 15 minutes beforehand to read a sheet that had role play scenarios on it (in Japanese) and I had to figure out what they were trying to get me to do... as well as the pressure of it being in Japanese, it was annoying trying to figure out what all the arrows and pictures etc. were hinting at, it wasn't exactly clear... more like a game of charades, lol. Still, I think I did the best in the role-play test because I got time beforehand to formulate a response in my head. The general conversation was haaaaaaaaaaard, because I'm just not used to it. T_T

Cheers! It did, actually. I had another speaking partner who made me feel more relaxed and, although he felt I was more knowledgeable, actually... he picked up stuff straight away and was totally natural with using the words afterwards. =O I was draggin' him down by stumbling during our practising. Ha ha. Luckily, I think the anxiety did me a favour in the end 'cause I didn't slip up at all in the actual recording of our dialogue. Having said that, I have no idea how well I did. I hope I passed!

HAHA, s'what I absolutely hate about people using pictures. I'm like, "Err.. Sorry, I don't even know what this could be in English...", ha ha. Kind of wish they'd use words (in English) instead.

I got an offer from Manchester yesterday so I'm really happy, I need to get a B in the IGCSE though and 5 Distinctions, 10 Merits on my Access course (so far 6 Distinctions, 4 Merits, 1 Pass) so I can do it but I can't slip up at all. XD Nervewracking. The fact they didn't want an interview has made me a little more interested in going there than before, as it was my 4th choice really and I couldn't be bothered going up there (sooo expensive and far away), seeing as Sheffield are only asking for 10 Merits and I preferred it overall.

=D Congratulations on your offer!! xxx.

Good luck passing the requirements too, it sounds like you're doing well so far, although I don't understand the system, I'm afraid! Sounds like you have Sheffield down, seeing as you already have 6 Distinctions and 4 Merits? =P Or am I getting confused?

I hope you, and everyone else, enjoys wherever they go. Now that I know I'm going, I've totally changed my Christmas and Birthday lists for things to take to Uni.! Ha ha, my mother was like, "... This is the strangest list you've ever given me. A book chair? What even is that?!". Ha ha, it holds the book open for you. I think it's a GENIUS invention. =) I had a serious issue with not being able to keep books open when I was doing A-Levels...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 244
Desu!
Yayyyy offer from Sheffield!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

leeds - CONDITIONAL
sheffield - CONDITIONAL
manchester - CONDITIONAL
SOAS - waiting
Edinburgh - waiting

Good luck everyone! Hopefully those waiting for Sheffield will get theirs soon, I only just got mine x
Reply 246
Still waiting on that reference...........:grr:
Still waiting for Birmingham, I really hope I hear something. Has anyone else had an offer from them? *Impatient*
Just got a rejection from Sheffield :/ i really wish I'd applied earlier now, or my grades were higher, looks like I'm going to have to re-evaluate doing Japanese at university.
Reply 249
Original post by PurpleyBoo
Just got a rejection from Sheffield :/ i really wish I'd applied earlier now, or my grades were higher, looks like I'm going to have to re-evaluate doing Japanese at university.

If you call them up, they might give you a reason for the rejection.
Original post by Susant
If you call them up, they might give you a reason for the rejection.

Yeah I'm definitely going to be calling them and manchester tomorrow, i wish they'd just email you to say this is why we said no, it just makes it feel even less personal, i understand that they have thousands of applications but this is like our LIVES! I think the way it's going I'm going to have to add some extra choices using UCAS Extra otherwise I'm gonna be depending on Clearing, not a situation I want to be in at all.
Reply 251
Oh dear, I'm really getting worried now. :s-smilie:

My reference is halfway through being written, and there's been a mistake with my personal statement! (I used an 'o' with a line on top and it didn't show...)

:frown:

I just want this to be over- everybody's getting offers and I'm so behind.

I'm applying to:
Leeds - Japanese & Asia Pacific Studies
Sheffield / Manchester / SOAS - Linguistics & Japanese
Ox Brookes - Japanese studies
Reply 252
Original post by mavira
Oh dear, I'm really getting worried now. :s-smilie:

My reference is halfway through being written, and there's been a mistake with my personal statement! (I used an 'o' with a line on top and it didn't show...)

:frown:

I just want this to be over- everybody's getting offers and I'm so behind.

I'm applying to:
Leeds - Japanese & Asia Pacific Studies
Sheffield / Manchester / SOAS - Linguistics & Japanese
Ox Brookes - Japanese studies

I get the feeling, I've been waiting on a reference for almost two weeks now :frown:
Reply 253
Original post by Susant
I get the feeling, I've been waiting on a reference for almost two weeks now :frown:

Mademoiselle,I've waited for my referece for 2 months! It has finally been done, so hopefully mine will be sent this week :colonhash:
Reply 254
Original post by ussumane
Mademoiselle,I've waited for my referece for 2 months! It has finally been done, so hopefully mine will be sent this week :colonhash:

Who're you calling mademoiselle :hmmm:
Reply 255
Original post by Susant
Who're you calling mademoiselle :hmmm:

I apoligise,I was trying to be polite :redface:

Wait...are you a man? :eek:
Reply 256
I apoligise,I was trying to be polite :redface:

Wait...are you a man? :eek:

:laugh:

Indeed. And not effeminate gay either. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 257
Original post by Susant
:laugh:

Indeed. And not effeminate gay either. :biggrin:

:rofl2: I feel stupid now
Reply 258
:rofl2: I feel stupid now

Don't worry, you're only the third person on the internet to get my gender wrong :biggrin:

I must be emitting estrogen vibes in the interwebz or something :s-smilie:
Reply 259
Original post by Susant
Don't worry, you're only the third person on the internet to get my gender wrong :biggrin:

I must be emitting estrogen vibes in the interwebz or something :s-smilie:

lolololol

I think is the Vocaloid profile pic :biggrin:

Don't tell me you had people here trying to "hit" on you? :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending