The Student Room Group

What do I do? How do I approach this?

Ok so my best friend studies in the US. He's started dating this girl and I was talking to her yesterday. She broke down and told me that he's been smoking weed and hash EVERY single day for the past month and a half. He's doing really badly in his academics and the university have warned him that he may be thrown out if he doesn't improve his performance. Despite this, he cannot quit his drugs. His girlfriend tried to speak to him about it and he said he would quit next semester. However, if things don't get better NOW, there probably won't be a next semester for him.
He will be coming back next week for a month. How do I approach this? Do I tell his parents?(We're really close, childhood friends so I know his family really well).
Reply 1
I wouldn't interfere and tell his parents, why don't you talk to him yourself? In the end it's up to him if he wants to ruin his life.
Well maybe u could look up different rehab methods for him and tell him that u'll be with him every step of the way...

If u think that his parents will handle it well without exagerating and getting really really mad at him and throw him out or something then maybe u should talk to them...It really is for ur friends best and even if he might hate u it is for his own good so I dunno u know him best and how he reacts to things so maybe talk to him first and if he doesnt respond maybe u should talk to his parents...
Reply 3
Original post by Doubledog
I wouldn't interfere and tell his parents, why don't you talk to him yourself? In the end it's up to him if he wants to ruin his life.

I will talk to him but should I try to call him in the US or wait for him to come back next week? And also, how do I approach this topic when I talk to him? His girlfriend has begged me not to tell him that she's told me this.
Reply 4
Original post by MizzCupcakes
Well maybe u could look up different rehab methods for him and tell him that u'll be with him every step of the way...

If u think that his parents will handle it well without exagerating and getting really really mad at him and throw him out or something then maybe u should talk to them...It really is for ur friends best and even if he might hate u it is for his own good so I dunno u know him best and how he reacts to things so maybe talk to him first and if he doesnt respond maybe u should talk to his parents...

hmm yeah cos if this continues he's going to lose his girlfriend, get kicked out of uni, become an addict and basically ruin his life.
Reply 5
Original post by wannabebrit
hmm yeah cos if this continues he's going to lose his girlfriend, get kicked out of uni, become an addict and basically ruin his life.

A weed addict? :rolleyes:

It would probably be a good idea to talk to him, but it seems as though he's doing what a lot of uni students do in their first term; go a bit wild.
Reply 6
Original post by Aubydoll
A weed addict? :rolleyes:

It would probably be a good idea to talk to him, but it seems as though he's doing what a lot of uni students do in their first term; go a bit wild.

he's not in his first term, he's in his fifth term. And EVERYDAY for the past 45 days?? to the extent that its affecting his academic performance so badly that the university have threatened to throw him out. Plus, its not just weed, its hash as well.
Reply 7
Original post by wannabebrit
he's not in his first term, he's in his fifth term. And EVERYDAY for the past 45 days?? to the extent that its affecting his academic performance so badly that the university have threatened to throw him out. Plus, its not just weed, its hash as well.

Weed = cannabis
Hash = cannabis

You should probably educate yourself about this first.

Cannabis will not be the problem, merely a result of the problem. Ie, your friend is the problem. Obviously he no longer cares about his performance, you need to find out why.
Reply 8
Original post by Aubydoll
Weed = cannabis
Hash = cannabis

You should probably educate yourself about this first.

Cannabis will not be the problem, merely a result of the problem. Ie, your friend is the problem. Obviously he no longer cares about his performance, you need to find out why.

hmm ok so cannabis doesn't affect your brain?
Reply 9
mate you gotta talk to him about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending