The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LSE is better academically.

But for Social? No freakin ' way.
Reply 2
Original post by tom29
Hi Guys

I am applying to uni at the moment and so far i have offers from LSE to dtudy Philosophy and Economics and Durhah/York for PPE

Obviously i really fancy LSE but im worried about missing the oppurtunity to do PPE and also whether LSE will be social enough?

Any thoughts?

Phil + Econ at LSE will open just as many doors (in all probability, more doors) than doing PPE at Durham will.

And don't worry about social at LSE, if you are willing to be social then you will find like minded individuals, the whole anti-social LSE thing is a bit of a myth. Contrary to popular belief LSE students do know what a night out is.
Reply 3
yeh i do definately like LSE alot but i got my university college durham offer and im terrible at making decisions :s-smilie:

To be honest i dont think i can turn down LSE

Except for oxford of course haha but thats unlikely
LSE.
Reply 5
Trying to be as unbiased as possible:

Go where you want to go/where you will enjoy the course most. Honestly any difference in 'prospects' between Durham and LSE is going to be tiny at best, and could be either way. I know people here who have had placements at a whole range of the top banks if that is what you are worried about.

One major thing is whether you would rather live in Durham or London? They are very different places and whilst Newcastle is 'close' it isn't really practical to go there on a night out that often.

What about the unis themselves? Do you prefer the facilities etc. at Durham or LSE?

Obviously come to Durham though, we are clearly superior.

Edit: I get negged for trying to be unbiased? :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by tom29
Hi Guys

I am applying to uni at the moment and so far i have offers from LSE to dtudy Philosophy and Economics and Durhah/York for PPE

Obviously i really fancy LSE but im worried about missing the oppurtunity to do PPE and also whether LSE will be social enough?

Any thoughts?

You do realise LSE is in the centre of London - the social central of the UK :confused:
And Durham is a small market town.....Surely LSE will have a more social atmosphere, but then again with the number of foreign students it may be hard to break the cultural barriers
You really would be stupid to turn down LSE for Durham. For Econ and Philosophy LSE is one of the best in the world, whereas Durham is just 'good' in the UK.
Reply 8
hmm im getting overwhelming support for LSE which to be honest backs up my own opinion
Reply 9
Original post by tom29
hmm im getting overwhelming support for LSE which to be honest backs up my own opinion

More uninformed opinion doesn't make it more accurate though.
Reply 10
First of all...you lucky #@$^%*&!!!!!

Go to LSE!!! People pray for offers from LSE! You do not reject LSE, except for Oxford of course :smile:
Reply 11
I'll give you the opposite side then.

-I also got University College, and that was kind of a deal closer for me. Socially, LSE isn't going to compare. People can say what they want, but in reality they'd be fighting an uphill battle. Sure, you're in the middle of London. But you're going to have to make a conscious effort to meet people. It'll be 10x easier at Durham to meet pple.
-I feel like undergraduate teaching is better at Durham. At least from everything I've read...people seem to complain about this, that, and the other with undergrad teaching at LSE. LSE is a bit stronger in research, so if you were going to do a postgrad degree, then hands down I would pick LSE. But that's not the case. This is evidenced by student satisfaction surveys being 8 to 10 points higher at Durham for PPE.
-Basically I would frame the decision this way: What do you want more...a solid undergraduate experience or name?
Reply 12
I come from kings lynn in the middle of nowhere so I thought I'd hate London but I actually really like it.

The stuff you hear about LSE being antisocial is somewhat true, but like people say, if you want to party you can. And it's very easy to find a few people to go out with and go clubbing in some of the best clubs to, isn't it? It's central London so you can have a good time, whatever your tastes.

I would say LSE opens more doors and is more academic, as well.
Reply 13
Original post by therealOG

And Durham is a small market town.....Surely LSE will have a more social atmosphere, but then again with the number of foreign students it may be hard to break the cultural barriers

Durham isn't a market town. It's a cathedral city. Though the point largely stands. yes Durham is much smaller, although because it is small it doesn't mean that it cannot offer a vibrant social scene. That's the point, people often complain about LSE's social life due to the international students. I can't comment on thijs but I will say that any university with thousands of young and not so young people can offer a good social experience.

Anyway, to the OP, I am studying philosophy and politics at Durham. If you want to know about the departments just ask. I would add more but typing on an Ipad isn't the easiest thing to do. Will be back later once I have access to my laptop.
You'd have to be very anti-social to not have fun in central london.
Reply 15
Original post by River85
Durham isn't a market town. It's a cathedral city. Though the point largely stands. yes Durham is much smaller, although because it is small it doesn't mean that it cannot offer a vibrant social scene. That's the point, people often complain about LSE's social life due to the international students. I can't comment on thijs but I will say that any university with thousands of young and not so young people can offer a good social experience.

Anyway, to the OP, I am studying philosophy and politics at Durham. If you want to know about the departments just ask. I would add more but typing on an Ipad isn't the easiest thing to do. Will be back later once I have access to my laptop.

It's only a city because it has a cathedral. Durham has a population of 29,000. That is extreeeemly small. I live near a market town that has a population greater than Durham. Just thought I'd say that. Don't know why, but there you go.
I've never been to Durham but I can tell you that LSE IS CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!
Original post by LimeyCoconut
I've never been to Durham but I can tell you that LSE IS CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

Are there any reasons besides it being antisocial?
Reply 18
Original post by LimeyCoconut

Hello, are you the representative from King's College?
Original post by Anita B. Studin
Are there any reasons besides it being antisocial?

Well, where may I start?

I personally despise the teaching at LSE. It just feels as if you're being ripped off and it's really impersonal.

You start out and the teachers speak to you as if you're already supposed to know the subject off by heart.
They don't teach they just ask you what you know.

You get 4 classes per week that only last 1 hour. By the time you've settled into class, you have to leave. Times up! Also, the class is just there to tell the teacher what you've read. There is NO teaching.

Fair enough uni is supposed to be independent learning but this is ridiculous. You pay like £3-4k for nothing.

And because you have to overcompensate for all the independent reading you have to do, actually going into uni, lectures and classes feels like it takes valuable time away from studying.

Ohh, and it's overly snobby! Everyone is obsessed with showing off their Apple laptops and trips to Geneva and pretending that they know EVERYTHING.

If you like snobs and teaching yourself the course for £3-4k then LSE is the place for you.

If not, go to somewhere a bit more human.

Latest

Trending

Trending