The Student Room Group

Muslims praying at College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by #Funky
Sorry, but improve your English before you try to make a point. Don't like what and doing what where? It's a free country mate.

Oh, right, you're an idiot. My English is perfect. Try harder

It is a free country but that doesnt give you the right to do what you like. Fine, pray but not during lessons, the rest of your college doesnt care or you would have said so. Which tells me you're making a big deal out of nothing
Reply 41
Original post by SHABANA
Ibn 'Abbas reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed in Medina seven (rak'ahs) and eight (rak'ahs), i. e. (combined) the noon (Zuhr) and afternoon (`Asr) prayers (eight rak'ahs) and the dusk (Maghrib)and night ('Isha') prayers (seven rak'ahs).
[Sahih al-Bukhari (English translation), volume 1, book 10, number 537; Sahih Muslim (English translation), Kitab al-Salat, Book 4, Chapter 100 Combination of prayers when one is resident, hadith no. 1522]

But what I actually meant is at the moment, depending on how long your lunch is you can pray them both separately but within their own times? Also, of course I know salaah is fardh, don't try and be patronising. Colleges are usually done by 4pm, so I don't see why you would end up missing your Maghrib.

:wink:. Mostly 4.15pm that's why.
Reply 42
Original post by alexs2602

It is a free country but that doesnt give you the right to do what you like. Fine, pray but not during lessons, the rest of your college doesnt care or you would have said so. Which tells me you're making a big deal out of nothing

Aww, boo hoo. Someone's a little annoyed.
Reply 43
Original post by #Funky
I know, I do that just to fit my lessons in. Also, my closest Mosque still does Dhuhur Jam'ah at 1.30pm =\

Well Mosque prayer times and home prayer times are not the same time but it's odd to start prayer at 1:30. They'll probably change the times eventually. Not all mosques do it at the same time i guess.

Of course It's your beliefs before school lessons but still there's no point in getting to trouble over it. Instead talk to your head ask if you can create a system allowing students to pray. Suggest a member of staff who is patrolling near the prayer area can keep a look out for any one mucking about. Have Phones and i pods handed in to the teacher before a student leaves t he class room so he/she can't bunk off. Or even get your parents to allow you to be excused for 5 minutes for prayer and I'm sure the school won't be able to say no to your parents seeing as your very academic.

As a Muslim I can tell you now that this is much better then getting into trouble and arguing with the teacher because not only are you being civil and calm but also you're proving to Allah you want to pray at the right time. If you are turned down then remember, Allah is the most forgiving. Our faith is understanding and flexible and it's not haram if your a late or have to pray early because of such a reason.

Sometimes I worry for the sake of Islam that Muslims are becoming to aggressive and potraying a role which Islam does not teach. As I said we all know our religion is the most forgiving.:biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by #Funky

Original post by #Funky
:wink:. Mostly 4.15pm that's why.

You still wouldn't completely end up missing it though. I don't know the prayer times in Bham, but here it is 15:45 start time, 15:50 jamaat. And how often do you finish at that time? The times will change soon anyway.
Reply 45
Original post by SHABANA

Original post by SHABANA
You still wouldn't completely end up missing it though. I don't know the prayer times in Bham, but here it is 15:45 start time, 15:50 jamaat. And how often do you finish at that time? The times will change soon anyway.

I know, but I've been taught to pray at the start and try my best to pray it on time. Times will change.

Original post by nazirard
Well Mosque prayer times and home prayer times are not the same time but it's odd to start prayer at 1:30. They'll probably change the times eventually. Not all mosques do it at the same time i guess.

Of course It's your beliefs before school lessons but still there's no point in getting to trouble over it. Instead talk to your head ask if you can create a system allowing students to pray. Suggest a member of staff who is patrolling near the prayer area can keep a look out for any one mucking about. Have Phones and i pods handed in to the teacher before a student leaves t he class room so he/she can't bunk off. Or even get your parents to allow you to be excused for 5 minutes for prayer and I'm sure the school won't be able to say no to your parents seeing as your very academic.

As a Muslim I can tell you now that this is much better then getting into trouble and arguing with the teacher because not only are you being civil and calm but also you're proving to Allah you want to pray at the right time. If you are turned down then remember, Allah is the most forgiving. Our faith is understanding and flexible and it's not haram if your a late or have to pray early because of such a reason.

Sometimes I worry for the sake of Islam that Muslims are becoming to aggressive and potraying a role which Islam does not teach. As I said we all know our religion is the most forgiving.:biggrin:

What do you mean by that?
Reply 46
Original post by alexs2602

Islam is a 24 hour committed religion. Until you understand what that means your comments won't be taken seriously if your intention is to give advice (which is what I assume you're trying to do).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 47
**** religion.
If they can have a prayer room, I want a smoking ganja room. :rolleyes:
Reply 48
Original post by MoanyLisa
You completely twisted his words. He never said you shouldn't be able allowed to pray. :mad:
He said you shouldn't be allowed to miss lessons for prayer, which is perfectly reasonable.

You have been provided a prayer room, which you are allowed to use during your free time. You can't get fairer than that.

Aside from that, you said yourself you always pray and never miss a lesson, so what is this all about anyway?

Read my first post, you will understand.w
Original post by #Funky
Assalamu Alaykum,

Dhuhur is fine. However, Asr, is at like 3pm now (the ideal time - start). I finish college at around 4.15pm most times and Maghrib is at like 4pm.

true say i only get to pray Zhuhr at break, and at 4:00 were not allowed to access the prayer room, so have to wait until 5:30 to pray maghrib thats when i get home.
Reply 50
Original post by prettyinpink92
true say i only get to pray Zhuhr at break, and at 4:00 were not allowed to access the prayer room, so have to wait until 5:30 to pray maghrib thats when i get home.

The 'prayer' room in our college is simply an unused cbuboard which can fit five people only at one time.

It goes crazy at Jum'uah.
If you want to go to a school, you have to follow the rules of that school. You cant constantly expect the world to change for you. You remind me of that woman who sued a hairdresser for not giving her a job because she covered her hair.
Reply 52
Original post by #Funky
I know, but I've been taught to pray at the start and try my best to pray it on time. Times will change.

What do you mean by that?

That wasn't aimed at you. It's just that some people take things so literally it becomes over the top and misses the point Islam makes. I'm sure you know what I mean but I can't really think of an example right now.

Just some Muslims who go over the top trying to show off that they're good Muslims in front of not only other Muslims but also non-Muslims.The "when prayer is at 2:04 I will pray at 2:04 whether my teacher likes it or not" Type of Muslims who have completely misunderstood the type of religion Islam is. They end up making Islam look aggressive in front of other non-Muslims who already have their ideas about the type of religion Islam is.

If your at home and prayer is at 2:04 then by all means pray at 2:04 but if you have no choice then Allah is the most forgiving. Would you pray on the bus if it was time for prayer?

Those people seriously P me off.
Reply 53
Praying Zuhr is fine as it can be prayed during lunch break, so i dont see where the problem is there, also Asr can be read until around 3:50 so they read after 3:15 when lessons usually finish or if they have 10 mins break in between lessons. Magrib can be read at home. So i dont understand why people have a problem with muslims praying, its got nothing to do with ulot so keep ur nose out of things.
Original post by #Funky
The College isn't being turned in to a Mosque. Please re-read my original post and do not be ignorant. There isn't any need for it.

No, they shouldn't be allowed to pray? Are you Muslim? To be honest, as a Muslim praying is a fundamnetal thing in my religion. It is a must. I always pray and never have missed lessons and I'm always achieving top marks and grades!

Thanks! I'll try that, I'm never late though. Infact, the teachers are late! LOL

Working in a hospital most of which now have prayer rooms I can say that alot of the muslims there go to pray but don't do so 5 times a day. Most just go during their lunchbreak
I believe there is an allowance for such a thing in the Koran.
Reply 55
Original post by morecambebay
If you want to go to a school, you have to follow the rules of that school. You cant constantly expect the world to change for you. You remind me of that woman who sued a hairdresser for not giving her a job because she covered her hair.

I bet thats what they told Nelson Mandela and Ghandi as well.

But I was really peeved off with that woman who sued the hair dresser. Just move on and apply to another hairdressers.
go and pray during yer break then?
Original post by ibbyibz
So i dont understand why people have a problem with muslims praying, its got nothing to do with ulot so keep ur nose out of things.

Its language and attitudes like that that causes people to have 'problems' with it.
They can do whatever the hell they want so long as it doesn't disrupt my learning. If Muslims were constantly going in and out of class to pray then I would complain because it's disrupting the learning of everybody else in the class. Muslims should NOT be given special treatment. They knew the rules when they applied to the college/uni so why should they have different rules for them due to their religion?
Reply 59
Original post by Jamie
Its language and attitudes like that that causes people to have 'problems' with it.

Theres nothing wrong with what i said, cant you handle the truth?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending