The Student Room Group

Why are people so ignorant about suicide and depression?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr. Gutsy
Because they don't understand what it's like, obviously. Just like a lot of depressed and/or suicidal people can't empathize with these peoples' views on living a neurotically optimistic lifestyle.

"neurotically optimistic"- what?
Original post by Holly Hiskey
"neurotically optimistic"- what?

Oh, you know, optimistic to the point where they're completely warped about everything that could very easily be perceived in a negative light, yet they knowingly refuse to accept such negativity at fear of deteriorating their mental state. Something to do with dissociation.
Original post by Mr. Gutsy
Oh, you know, optimistic to the point where they're completely warped about everything that could very easily be perceived in a negative light, yet they knowingly refuse to accept such negativity at fear of deteriorating their mental state. Something to do with dissociation.

Oh, I'm like that, but it's not because I disassociate- I'm just naturally cheerful so if something bad happens I find it easy to see the good in the situation, so I wouldn't say that those people knowingly refuse to accept negativity- they genuinely don't notice it, or if they do they assume that life won't be like that forever!
Original post by Lewroll
Oh cry me a river! Im not ashamed of anything and Im not going to be. Its you lot with the problem not me. So how many meds are you on then deary?

(and you got to admit, that was pretty funny)

Anyway I have nothing to feel ashamed of! Im not the one who selfishly tries to kill myself in public. Why should the rest of us be traumatised because you are too mental to sort yourself out. If you want to kill yourself, do it at home where we cant see you. Do you have any idea how annoying it is when some nutjob jumps in front of my train?! The selfish git makes us all late for work/school, and then probably expected someone to nicely clean them up and bury them. Welll i say if you want to kill yourself, why should we bury you?
At least have the courtesy to kill yourself in your own home. Drink some bleach or something. At least then no one will have to worry about you until the stench from your corpse becomes too unbearable, so the neighbours kick down your door to find out whats going on. At least then your body should have decomposed enough, so they will just have to get a broom and sweep your body into the bin. You wont care, your dead, you dont have to worry aqbout cleaning up, and signing forms etc etc. The selfish guy is dead now (or in hell, depends if you look at it from the religious perspective or not) so stop bothering the rest of society with your incapabilities to lead a normal life. And thats all i have to say about that.

Killing yourself in public is often the only way to do it properly. In front of a train, off a building...
Our society means that if you find someone trying to commit suicide in the privacy of their own home, they are put into a hospital where they are unable to have a second attempt. If they become paralysed etc. due to a failed attempt, then euthanasia is not allowed.
Methods that you can use in your own home fail most of the time. That's why people do it in public. It's not down to selfishness, it's down to desperation, because that's the only option left.

In all your posts, you sound completely heartless. I hope that none of your peers ever decide to come to you to confide in about a problem.
Most people's incapabilities to lead a normal life is not their fault. Many times, society has in fact caused or worsened their condition.

I wonder, do you get angry if your train is late because some disabled people need help to get their wheelchairs onto the train? Maybe they should "stop bothering the rest of society with [their] incapabilities to lead a normal life".
Of course not.
Original post by Little_My
I think we will have to agree to disagree. Personally, I'm glad you are such a healthy individual that can remains ignorant, it means you hopefully won't have to go through it yourself and become a 'waste to society' :P

Original post by lightburns
Killing yourself in public is often the only way to do it properly. In front of a train, off a building...

killing yourself in public is selfish. You are traumatising the living people that see you kill yourself, you are disrupting public transport and someone is going to have to come and clean up your mess.

Our society means that if you find someone trying to commit suicide in the privacy of their own home, they are put into a hospital where they are unable to have a second attempt. If they become paralysed etc. due to a failed attempt, then euthanasia is not allowed.

Do it properly then. Kitchen knife through the neck, toaster in the bath. Theres plenty of easy ways to kill yourself at home :biggrin:
Methods that you can use in your own home fail most of the time. That's why people do it in public. It's not down to selfishness, it's down to desperation, because that's the only option left.

Still makes them selfish. They should think about others before they top themselves
In all your posts, you sound completely heartless. I hope that none of your peers ever decide to come to you to confide in about a problem.

I do sound quite heartless dont I, haha :biggrin:
Most people's incapabilities to lead a normal life is not their fault. Many times, society has in fact caused or worsened their condition.

Thats not our problem, either dont kill yourself, or do it where we dont have to see it
I wonder, do you get angry if your train is late because some disabled people need help to get their wheelchairs onto the train? Maybe they should "stop bothering the rest of society with [their] incapabilities to lead a normal life".
Of course not.

killing yourself in public is selfish. You are traumatising the living people that see you kill yourself, you are disrupting public transport and someone is going to have to come and clean up your mess. Its a very expensive process.
Dont be silly. Why would i get angry at a disabled person getting on a train? Its a completely different situation. The disabled person isnt some selfish bastard who has decided to jump in front of a train, and traumatise every one who witnesses it with their mangled corpse. The train will be delayed for ages while some people have to come and clean up the mess. So it is selfish to kill yourself like that. Do it where we dont have to see it imo.
Original post by Lewroll
killing yourself in public is selfish. You are traumatising the living people that see you kill yourself, you are disrupting public transport and someone is going to have to come and clean up your mess.

I would agree - if killing yourself in private wasn't so difficult

Original post by Lewroll
Do it properly then. Kitchen knife through the neck, toaster in the bath. Theres plenty of easy ways to kill yourself at home :biggrin:

You obviously haven't researched suicide methods. There are not many easy ways to kill yourself at home.

Original post by Lewroll
Still makes them selfish. They should think about others before they top themselves

Personally, I think the trauma that a suicidal person is going through is worse than someone thinking "ew, blood is icky" or "damn, I'm going to be half an hour late".

Original post by Lewroll
I do sound quite heartless dont I, haha :biggrin:

It wasn't a compliment.

Original post by Lewroll
Thats not our problem, either dont kill yourself, or do it where we dont have to see it

See above points.

Original post by Lewroll
killing yourself in public is selfish. You are traumatising the living people that see you kill yourself, you are disrupting public transport and someone is going to have to come and clean up your mess. Its a very expensive process.
Dont be silly. Why would i get angry at a disabled person getting on a train? Its a completely different situation. The disabled person isnt some selfish bastard who has decided to jump in front of a train, and traumatise every one who witnesses it with their mangled corpse. The train will be delayed for ages while some people have to come and clean up the mess. So it is selfish to kill yourself like that. Do it where we dont have to see it imo.

The disabled person has got on a train, rather than keeping their disability in private. Either, they have to wreck their life somewhat so you aren't late, or they must be 'selfish' and inconvenience you by taking their disability into a public space and causing others to work around them.
(Note - I have nothing against disabled people. I don't think they are being selfish. Just in case a randomer negger reads this.)

As I said before, the suicidal person has the harder time.
If you really want to stop public suicides, support the legalisation of euthanasia, and support the stopping of gov't schemes to prevent suicides in all circumstances, eg. if the person really wants to go, they should not be put in a hospital, and they should be able to get hold of materials necessary for suicide.
Until these things are done, public suicides will be done, and the person has little other choice.
I would agree - if killing yourself in private wasn't so difficult
You obviously haven't researched suicide methods. There are not many easy ways to kill yourself at home.

There are plenty ways of killing yourself at home. These people are just too mental to figure it out (or they are just attention seekers) i can name some now
Knife through neck
toaster in bath
set yourself on fire
overdose (a ver very very big over dose:colone:)
hang from tie
stick sharp objects through the heart
knife through eyeball into brain
the list goes on...
Personally, I think the trauma that a suicidal person is going through is worse than someone thinking "ew, blood is icky" or "damn, I'm going to be half an hour late".

This is one of the few silly things you have said. Imagine this scenario. You and your daughter are going for a nice day out at the beach. Whilst waiting for the train, some psycho wackjob throws themself infront of an approaching train. You see there body ripped apart on impact. Blood every where. People screaming, body parts flung all over the place. You watch in horror as the train runs over the body and leaves it lying, a broken mess on the ground.
Now it would be ignorant to think that that wouldnt have some sort of permanent psychological effect on the witnesses. No only was the suicide person depressed, they also wanted to make everyone who saw them depressed as well. Selfish, selfish gits.

It wasn't a compliment.

I know :colone:

The disabled person has got on a train, rather than keeping their disability in private. Either, they have to wreck their life somewhat so you aren't late, or they must be 'selfish' and inconvenience you by taking their disability into a public space and causing others to work around them.
(Note - I have nothing against disabled people. I don't think they are being selfish. Just in case a randomer negger reads this.)

I think you and i both know this is a stupid argument. If you dont realise that then im not going to explain it to you.
As I said before, the suicidal person has the harder time.

No reason for them to kill themselves in public. See my list of handy DIY killing tips above.
If you really want to stop public suicides, support the legalisation of euthanasia, and support the stopping of gov't schemes to prevent suicides in all circumstances, eg. if the person really wants to go, they should not be put in a hospital, and they should be able to get hold of materials necessary for suicide.
Until these things are done, public suicides will be done, and the person has little other choice

Maybe we should just let these people kill themselves, they are obviously of no use to anyone and we probably would be better off without them. Survival of the fittest and all that jazz. Well done, youve changed my opinion! Let them kill themselves (as long as they dont do it in public- we should publish my list of suicide tips on a depressed person forum or something :biggrin:)
(edited 13 years ago)
I have to say if anyone wants to read something really interesting about suicide, read 'Suicide' by Emile Durkheim.

Shows how suicide is actually not an individual action at all and follows patterns to do with social interactions. Well worth a read.
Original post by Architecture-er
*cough*

I think you've got a little bit of nerd-rage stuck in your teeth there.. :rolleyes:

...Right, because that makes sense... :rolleyes:
So basically you have no response.
Suicide is for the weak and the selfish.
Original post by Lewroll
There are plenty ways of killing yourself at home. These people are just too mental to figure it out (or they are just attention seekers) i can name some now
Knife through neck
toaster in bath
set yourself on fire
overdose (a ver very very big over dose:colone:)
hang from tie
stick sharp objects through the heart
knife through eyeball into brain
the list goes on...

As I said, you obviously haven't researched suicide methods.
Yes, what you list can kill you. But the person is more likely to end up in hospital - either badly injured and in a worse condition than before, or to prevent them from trying again. These are not good methods.

Original post by Lewroll
This is one of the few silly things you have said. Imagine this scenario. You and your daughter are going for a nice day out at the beach. Whilst waiting for the train, some psycho wackjob throws themself infront of an approaching train. You see there body ripped apart on impact. Blood every where. People screaming, body parts flung all over the place. You watch in horror as the train runs over the body and leaves it lying, a broken mess on the ground.
Now it would be ignorant to think that that wouldnt have some sort of permanent psychological effect on the witnesses. No only was the suicide person depressed, they also wanted to make everyone who saw them depressed as well. Selfish, selfish gits.

Yes. It's a very icky thing to see. If it doesn't make you kill yourself, it's not as bad as the suffering of the suicidal person.

Original post by Lewroll
I think you and i both know this is a stupid argument. If you dont realise that then im not going to explain it to you.

It is a less extreme version of the suicidal person.
Person X is 'not normal' to your definition. Person X chooses to put their abnormality into a public space because it is difficult for them to keep it private. Person X causes other people to be inconvenienced.

Original post by Lewroll
No reason for them to kill themselves in public. See my list of handy DIY killing tips above.

Plenty of reason. They probably will make it much, much worse.

Original post by Lewroll
Maybe we should just let these people kill themselves, they are obviously of no use to anyone and we probably would be better off without them. Survival of the fittest and all that jazz. Well done, youve changed my opinion! Let them kill themselves (as long as they dont do it in public- we should publish my list of suicide tips on a depressed person forum or something :biggrin:)

People are individuals. We are not here to be of use to anyone. And survival of the fittest isn't a moral thing to uphold.
As I said, you obviously haven't researched suicide methods.
Yes, what you list can kill you. But the person is more likely to end up in hospital - either badly injured and in a worse condition than before, or to prevent them from trying again. These are not good methods.

However if they do it properly they will be successful. They should do their homework first and find out how to do it

Yes. It's a very icky thing to see. If it doesn't make you kill yourself, it's not as bad as the suffering of the suicidal person.

However wasnt it you (or someone else) that said that mental pain is as bad or worse than physical pain. I know if i saw someone kill themself i would probably be pretty messed up for a while. And the suicide person only killed themself because they couldnt cope= giving up= weak.
It is a less extreme version of the suicidal person.
Person X is 'not normal' to your definition. Person X chooses to put their abnormality into a public space because it is difficult for them to keep it private. Person X causes other people to be inconvenienced.

Yes however person X doesnt jump in front of a public train now do they? It takes a matter of seconds to lower a ramp for wheel chair. It can take years of inconvenience if someone kills themself (a long time to clean up the mess, and an even longer time for the witness to recover)

Plenty of reason. They probably will make it much, much worse.

People are individuals. We are not here to be of use to anyone. And survival of the fittest isn't a moral thing to uphold.

Survival of the fittest isnt imorral, it is life. This is how life works and if a weak person doesnt want to be helped, they will die. however if they accept that help, they will live.
And who says people are individuals? Without other people we would not survive, so people are here to be of use to others. Yes i agree people are individuals, doesnt mean they cant do their bit. As my old teacher used to say to us, either be useful or GTFO lol
Original post by Lewroll
However if they do it properly they will be successful. They should do their homework first and find out how to do it

There exist groups and forums where people give eachother advice on suicide methods. If you suggested those ones, you'd be laughed out the door. There is no 'proper' way to do it which has a large success rate. If you do it properly, you are still most likely to end up just injured.

Original post by Lewroll
However wasnt it you (or someone else) that said that mental pain is as bad or worse than physical pain. I know if i saw someone kill themself i would probably be pretty messed up for a while. And the suicide person only killed themself because they couldnt cope= giving up= weak.

The suicidal person killed themselves because their mental pain was unbearable. For you, it'd be unimaginable.

Original post by Lewroll
Yes however person X doesnt jump in front of a public train now do they? It takes a matter of seconds to lower a ramp for wheel chair. It can take years of inconvenience if someone kills themself (a long time to clean up the mess, and an even longer time for the witness to recover)

That's why I said before that the disabled example was a less extreme version of the same thing. If you are very angry at a person who commits suicide, and think they are a selfish git, you should be somewhat angry at a disabled person, and think they are a selfish annoyance. Toned down version of the same response.

Original post by Lewroll
Survival of the fittest isnt imorral, it is life. This is how life works and if a weak person doesnt want to be helped, they will die. however if they accept that help, they will live.

Survival of the fittest just refers to how unfit (not weak. Some very strong individuals will die because they are unfit, strength can even be evolved out of a population for various reasons) individuals will not reproduce. Back to disabilities.. A disabled person is 'unfit'. Survival of the fittest encourages you to kill them. But no. Survival of the fittest is a biological fact, not a moral theory. Morality encourages you to help them.
Do not mix up biology and morality. It is as ridiculous as suggesting that in magnets, opposites attract, therefore there should be no same-race relationships. It makes precisely zero sense.

Original post by Lewroll
And who says people are individuals? Without other people we would not survive, so people are here to be of use to others. Yes i agree people are individuals, doesnt mean they cant do their bit. As my old teacher used to say to us, either be useful or GTFO lol

Quick, kill everyone on benefits.
There exist groups and forums where people give eachother advice on suicide methods. If you suggested those ones, you'd be laughed out the door. There is no 'proper' way to do it which has a large success rate. If you do it properly, you are still most likely to end up just injured.

Laughed out by the suicide advisors? How will i survive (get it- its a suicide joke :biggrin:)

The suicidal person killed themselves because their mental pain was unbearable. For you, it'd be unimaginable.

That's why I said before that the disabled example was a less extreme version of the same thing. If you are very angry at a person who commits suicide, and think they are a selfish git, you should be somewhat angry at a disabled person, and think they are a selfish annoyance. Toned down version of the same response.

You cant seem to understand the difference between the two things. No sane person will be annoyed by a disabled person getting on a bus. A sane person will most likely be annoyed if they were stuck on a train because some idiot tried to kill themself. Have you ever used the tube in london? Have you ever seen how pissed off the people on the tube are when some idiot jumps in front of it? Have you ever seen the people angry because a disabled person gets on? No, because they dont get angry at the second thing. Ive been on a train when that has happened so i think i am justified in my opinion. Your point doesnt stand.

Survival of the fittest just refers to how unfit (not weak. Some very strong individuals will die because they are unfit, strength can even be evolved out of a population for various reasons) individuals will not reproduce. Back to disabilities.. A disabled person is 'unfit'. Survival of the fittest encourages you to kill them. But no. Survival of the fittest is a biological fact, not a moral theory. Morality encourages you to help them.

have i not been saying we should help these people throughout this whole thread? I only changed my opinion in the last post (didnt get the humour didya?) Survival of the fittest wouldnt necessarily encourage you to kill them, it would suggest you let the weak die. Unfit does mean weak. A strong, healthy fit individual will not dieso what you said about strong individuals not surviving makes no sense. The strong/fit/healthy survive, the weak/unfit/unhealthy die. I would have thought that was obvious.
Do not mix up biology and morality. It is as ridiculous as suggesting that in magnets, opposites attract, therefore there should be no same-race relationships. It makes precisely zero sense.

You and your examples:rolleyes: Its not the same, we are not magnets nor are we anything like magnets, give an example observable in the animal kingdom (like survival of the fittest) and i will be happy to respond to it

Quick, kill everyone on benefits.

As i say above i was never talking about killing people, i was talking about letting the weak die, while the strong survive (however i have only said this in these posts, throughout my other posts in this thread i said we should help these people, apoint which everyone seemed to ignore)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 255
Those who perform suicide are not of Compos mentis, however we assume they are. This is probably where the conflict comes from.
Original post by .Ali.
So I was reading this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28902489#post28902489

and I'm completely shocked and appalled at some of the responses, for example:

"Suicide is for the weakminded"

Those who are strong can withstand it. Those who dont are weak, but anyone can improve! Do you think you need to be in the Spetsnaz or the SAS to withstand verbal/physical torture?

No you dont - which is why people say weakminded - they cant control their emotions which eventually kill them by suicide.

If the reason for suicide is other people bullying the victim, then the victim is to blame.
Original post by .Ali.
So I was reading this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28902489#post28902489

and I'm completely shocked and appalled at some of the responses, for example:

"Suicide is for the weakminded"

Those who are strong can withstand it. Those who dont are weak, but anyone can improve! Do you think you need to be in the Spetsnaz or the SAS to withstand verbal/physical torture?

No you dont - which is why people say weakminded - they cant control their emotions which eventually kill them by suicide.

If the reason for suicide is other people bullying the victim, then the victim is to blame for not doing anything about it (to try and quench the problem).

THERE IS NO PROBLEM THAT CANNOT BE SOLVED. SUICIDE SURE AS HELL DOESNT BRING YOU CLOSER TO THE SOLUTION.

Trust me, I vaguely knew someone who comitted suicide, and even his closest friends got over it and forgot it him pretty much all because he suicided.
This thread is so interesting... I'm studying psychology at A-level and because of this thread, it's made me question what I'm being taught. =o
Reply 259
Original post by yurihammo

If the reason for suicide is other people bullying the victim, then the victim is to blame.

What the hell? This is ridiculous. It's not the victims fault.

You cannot compare like that, everyone is different. It's not about being weak, it's about what affects different people. For example, if two people were being bullied about being poor, one was actually poor, and one wasn't, it would affect the poor person more, simply because it hurts being bullied about something you can't change. Similarly, if someone said something about the other person that was true or about an insecurity they had, it would hurt them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending