The Student Room Group

Do I sound like a stuck up B****?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yawn11
Lol if someone said l.o.l. to me in person I'd be sad, cause it means I'm REALLY not funny :frown:

LOL
Original post by supernova92
I refuse to believe that someone said "lol" in real life.....

My friend says lol all the time.
No, not really

He sounds.... weird. Is he dumb or suttin
Reply 83
No, the shop assistant sounded like a prick though.
"It's bad to think"
"Are you from Somalia?"
:facepalm2:
Reply 84
Original post by Stems
I think if you live in the UK and aren't white/English looking, people have the tendency to ask just out of curiosity. Just from my experience.

Could have something to do with you nothing being from the UK originally. Just saying.
Reply 85
Original post by Paxdax
Could have something to do with you nothing being from the UK originally. Just saying.

what do you mean?
Original post by Stems
Sorry if this is long and insignificant, i just don't really want to discuss it with anyone I actually know.

So I went to the store today and was looking around. One of the shop assistants came up to me to ask if I needed any help or was looking for anything in particular:

Me: No thanks, I found what I’m looking for just thinking about whither to buy it or not.

Shop assistant: Don’t think, it’s not good to think you know. Do you know that?

Me: Ignore/ forced smile

Shop Assistant: Don’t think, just grab

Me; Ignore

Shop assistant: Where are you from? Are you from Somalia?

Me: No

Shop assistant: Are you from Africa?

Me: Yes, but you know Africa is a BIG place?

Shop assistant: Ok are you from Congo?

Me: NO

Shop assistant: Ok that’s all the places I know in Africa

Me: WHAT!! Are you serious? ( I was genuinely shocked)

Shop assistant: Yea I only no two places lol

Me: You need a map, maybe try to start learning different places.

Shop assistant: No can’t be bothered learnt all that stuff at school no point, that
was when I did geography. Ok are you from Mongola?

Me: You think that’s in Africa?

Shop assistant: Urm, isn’t it?

By this time I had to go, so just kind of walked off I did say bye.
So I told my friend about this and she wasn’t shocked at all. This guy obviously went thought the education system (he told me). She basically told me I sounded stuck up. I did mention to her that I wanted to print a map and give it to him, as I’m a regular at the store (it’s down the road). She just looked at me with disgust.

So did I over react?

Do I need to recognise that some just don’t have knowledge in areas that I believe are basic, however may have knowledge in other areas?

I mean I didn’t expect him to know which country I originate from, I was just shocked that he only knew two countries in Africa. Also the fact that he was just guessing random places yet appeared to be 100% serious.

No, you don't. I think you're right, stupid shop assistant!
Reply 87
No you don't sound stuck up, I would have walked off after the "it’s not good to think" :facepalm2:
I always get asked where i'm from, it does get annoying.
Trolls
They are everywhere
Nah you dont sound stuck-up.
Shes probably those uneducated chavs that left school at 16.
But seriously WOW
Original post by skyhigh!
No you don't sound stuck up, I would have walked off after the "it’s not good to think" :facepalm2:
I always get asked where i'm from, it does get annoying.

Yeah, I would have swiftly told them not to disturb me while I'm shopping. He or she sounds annoying.
Reply 91
Original post by hasin_arshad
Done lie to us, its impossible to say "lol" in a natural real life conversation

LOL:wink:

As sad as it sounds (in my opinion anyway), people really do say "lol" in real life nowadays.
I refuse to believe that someone said "lol" in real life.....

My friend does. Does my head in.:colonhash:
No. He was just incredibly ignorant!
Reply 94
Original post by Stems
what do you mean?

That was supposed to be a 'not', sorry for that. Silly mobile. You're not a native of Britain, of course they might well ask. People find it interesting. And no, just because you're born in Britain doesn't mean you're a British native. That's not how it works.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by hasin_arshad
Dont lie to us, she didn't say "lol"

I said "lol" out loud the other day. Life over.

Anyway, OP, I think you were actually pretty patient with the shop assistant! I would have told her that my country of origin had nothing to do with her and I wished to browse the shop in peace!
woah... why? why not just actually laugh instead?

I do both :smile: it's cool :wink: and you know it.
Original post by SmileyGurl13
I do both :smile: it's cool :wink: and you know it.

Hmmm....

Spoiler

Reply 98
Original post by Paxdax
That was supposed to be a 'not', sorry for that. Silly mobile. You're not a native of Britain, of course they might well ask. People find it interesting. And no, just because you're born in Britain doesn't mean you're a British native. That's not how it works.

I dont mind that he asked I get it all the time.

I never mentioned this, but interesting i do agree with you. Its funny actually because I remember ages ago when victoria beckham said "my sons going to be born in spain, so he's going to be spainsh" i was like :rolleyes:
Reply 99
i know a fair amount of countries in africa and the general position within africa, but only say where 3 states are in the USA, (i'm from england) i think it's just a matter of importance, i get the impression that alot of education in the USA is related to the USA rather than the world as a whole.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending