The Student Room Group

Hull York Medical School Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
it was different to others. but ok I hope
Original post by andioula
hello!!! I am an applicant for the HYMS. I have my interview on the 16th of December.. so anxious! can you tell me how did u find it? i mean was it really 7 questions related to the topics released from the site??? what about the article?? was it good!?? pleaseee answer! i cant sleep till that day!:smile: thanksss

I would agree with most of what tome27 said. My best advice would be not to overprepare, because the questions are in a similar vein to those on the site, but you definitely have to think on your feet for the majority of them. And with the article, you just have to say what you found interesting about it, and there will be plenty of points.

I think my interview went OK, even though it was a different style of interview. But will have to wait and see what they say in Feb :smile:
Reply 242
Original post by tome27
Hi sorry for the delay in replying.
I found it went OK but different to other interviews. They don't have your PS and so questions are not medical interview standard - you certainly can't fully prepare so you have to think on your feet so I found myself not giving as polished answers as normal. They will guide you through but it is hard to gauge how well you've done. They aren't evil though don't worry :smile:.
All the things they say on their website are true - it is structured as they say, one man one woman etc.
The article had references to numerous issues you could discuss so you won't have a problem there.
Good luck!

thank you!:smile: hope it all goes well!:smile:
Reply 243
Hey everyone

I've got an interview coming up on the 16th December at Hull (WOOOO :biggrin:) and this may seem like a daft question, but what is everyone wearing (guys)?

The letter says 'smart but not too casual' but I don't want to be the only person to be turning up in a suit :tongue:

Cheers guys! :smile:
Original post by bigAsh
Hey everyone

I've got an interview coming up on the 16th December at Hull (WOOOO :biggrin:) and this may seem like a daft question, but what is everyone wearing (guys)?

The letter says 'smart but not too casual' but I don't want to be the only person to be turning up in a suit :tongue:

Hey I'm there too :wink: I'll be wearing a suit so you won't be the only one :tongue:!
Reply 245
Original post by bigAsh
Hey everyone

All bar 2 of the male interviewees in my group wore suits.
Reply 246
Original post by tome27
All bar 2 of the male interviewees in my group wore suits.

what about women??:tongue: i am thinking of wearing a suit too!
Reply 247

From what i remember most were in suits or skirt+blouse. That kind of thing :smile:.
(edited 13 years ago)
Interview on the 16th! yay :biggrin:
i'm excited, but nervous as hell!
Reply 249

i have an interview on jan 15th (wooooo) and im wearing (yes, i am sad enough to ALREADY have my outfit planned) a dark grey dress that is similar to a tailored pinafore but in dress form (ie doesnt need a blouse underneath) with tights small heels and a cardigan
Reply 250
Original post by Luke0011
Interview on the 16th! yay :biggrin:
i'm excited, but nervous as hell!

sooo nervous here as well! i dont know how much should i prepare. i mean do they actually mean when they say that overcoached answers will put u at a disadvantaged?
Reply 251
sooo nervous here as well! i dont know how much should i prepare. i mean do they actually mean when they say that overcoached answers will put u at a disadvantaged?

There is little chance you will have been able to prepare answers to what they ask so don't fret!

I think all they mean by that, is if they ask you a general question, but you give an answer to a similar question, but perfectly coached, they will know that it's a coached answer.
They say that the best thing to do is listen to the question and actually answer their question instead of giving a coached answer :smile:
Hyms has finished for the year so im a free man. If you have any Q's feel free to ask me:smile:
Original post by Presidential
Hyms has finished for the year so im a free man. If you have any Q's feel free to ask me:smile:

Hey, what do you think of it so far? :smile:
Original post by Yellowmonkeyman
Hey, what do you think of it so far? :smile:

The teaching is generally excellent, and PBL is definitely working for me. Having placement so early on is definitely a plus, we have already carried out some physical examinations on real patients which has been fun. On the other hand, the weather is **** lol.

Are you after anything specific?
Original post by Presidential
The teaching is generally excellent, and PBL is definitely working for me. Having placement so early on is definitely a plus, we have already carried out some physical examinations on real patients which has been fun. On the other hand, the weather is **** lol.

Are you after anything specific?

Thanks for the offer! Where are you based? I was mainly wondering about the SSCs, as the options don'y look too extensive. What have you chosed (or have you not yet?). Is it normal to do a modern language?

Thankyou!
Reply 257
Original post by tome27
There is little chance you will have been able to prepare answers to what they ask so don't fret!

Why is there little chance? They have published already what questions they will asks you out of a list of them.
Original post by LaMedicina
Thanks for the offer! Where are you based? I was mainly wondering about the SSCs, as the options don'y look too extensive. What have you chosed (or have you not yet?). Is it normal to do a modern language?

Thankyou!

Im based in hull. Erm for term 1&2 there are about 33 ssc's to choose from i think, im doing hand anatomy next term. Yh many people do modern languages but its only done to foundation level (well mandarin and japanese are).
Reply 259
Hey Guys , just joined in on this thread. I have actually been following it for quite a while just did not bother joining up . I currently have an interview of the 15th of January and being an international student the nerves are already getting to me .Couple of things id like to know though

Firstly what kind of questions usually accompany the article is it just along the lines of what we may have found interesting?

Secondly ive also tried to look up how the hull PBL course is different from PBLs in different universitys but so far ive hit a dead end.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending