The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Firaila
Birmingham offer :smile:

what are your grades, when did you send your application and which other unis have you applied to?
Reply 541
Anybody else planning on doing economics at Newcastle?
Original post by anradu
Good Luck with your application this year, and thank you for the advice. My parents are against me applying abroad, especially the US, for reasons I cannot fathom (actually they say it is the tuition fees of $40000+).
I will take hope from your situation and reapply next year :smile:

What did you do during your gap year??

Thank you. If your family income is lower than $180,000 per year, then the cost of education in the top US colleges where they make up the difference between what you can afford and the cost, is probably lower than the UK with £9k tuition fees. Have a look on their websites to see how they meet your individual circumstances... If you're outstanding, you'll have a strong chance.

This year, currently working as a Deloitte Scholar on my Gap Year. There are many opportunities out there:

http://www.deloitte.co.uk/scholars/
http://www-05.ibm.com/employment/uk/futures/
http://www.rothschild.com/careers/process/
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Gap_Year_Programmes

All the best!
Reply 543
Original post by L.C:)
Anybody else planning on doing economics at Newcastle?

I got my offer a few weeks ago and i still haven't decided yet, but the chances are highly likely :smile:
Reply 544
Anyone have got offer or acknowledgement form York?
Reply 545
Original post by Econ7

Original post by Econ7
Leicester - Maths with Economics

AAB with A in maths.

Good man/woman me too but ABB for just Economics, best of luck
Reply 546
Original post by Rathalos

Nottingham - L100 - AB
Bristol - L100 - AB ( A in maths)

I called nottingham when they originally rejected me to ask why, i am no longer rejected but that's irrelevant, they told me they were waiting unitil January to give out offers, are you not doing alevels? Is you offer based on Scottish higher, IB or something like that and when did you apply? also has anyone else heard from nottingham or durham? I also have Leicester at the moment, i am also waiting on loughborough and getting a bit panicked I applied on the 19th of november.
Reply 547
Original post by lemonade789

Original post by lemonade789
King's School Canterbury, yeah we have quite a lot of Oxbridge applicants (about 20-30 this year), but many of them are disillusioned , they don't even have As at AS.
What about you?

I used to go to Kings who is this? I am reapplying for Eco not Oxbridge though 1 A* and 4 A predictions though on the plus side two of them in new a level i am taking from fress this year
Original post by JoshRC
I used to go to Kings who is this? I am reapplying for Eco not Oxbridge though 1 A* and 4 A predictions though on the plus side two of them in new a level i am taking from fress this year

is this Josh Ross?
Reply 549
Original post by JoshRC
I called nottingham when they originally rejected me to ask why, i am no longer rejected but that's irrelevant, they told me they were waiting unitil January to give out offers, are you not doing alevels? Is you offer based on Scottish higher, IB or something like that and when did you apply? also has anyone else heard from nottingham or durham? I also have Leicester at the moment, i am also waiting on loughborough and getting a bit panicked I applied on the 19th of november.

I sent my ucas on 18th NOV...
I'm doing Alevels, and did gcses in UK

now sheffield offers me ABB
bristol AB
Nottingham AB
Original post by JoshRC

See i thought Nottingham weren't giving out offers until January either, and I received the email saying so too, yet a friend of mine, a home student, has received an AAA offer claiming they gave him it early because he knows the professors and admissions guys there :confused: I don't think that's really fair at all
Reply 551
Original post by thesnowman
See i thought Nottingham weren't giving out offers until January either, and I received the email saying so too, yet a friend of mine, a home student, has received an AAA offer claiming they gave him it early because he knows the professors and admissions guys there :confused: I don't think that's really fair at all

bear in mind im an international student but have been in UK for 7 years, i think thats why they gave me such an awesome, easy offer. . .
bear in mind im an international student but have been in UK for 7 years, i think thats why they gave me such an awesome, easy offer. . .

oh no I definitely understand that, I was just referring to the other poster suggesting every home student was told they would be made to wait - which I found out in practice didn't happen as someone I know managed to get an offer by knowing them
Reply 553
Original post by thesnowman
oh no I definitely understand that, I was just referring to the other poster suggesting every home student was told they would be made to wait - which I found out in practice didn't happen as someone I know managed to get an offer by knowing them

Oh yes thats unfair to all applicants, wish i know someone in the university..
But I dont understand why Nottingham is waiting.. Shouldnt they be offering to get most people in..? Even Bristol is offering places to local students..
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh yes thats unfair to all applicants, wish i know someone in the university..
But I dont understand why Nottingham is waiting.. Shouldnt they be offering to get most people in..? Even Bristol is offering places to local students..

At the open day they said they accepted too many people too early, so from a certain point onwards they had to cut off people with less than 8 A*s at GCSE, so want to avoid this this year by dealing with everyone at the same time.. which clearly hasn't happened again
Reply 555
about Nottingham a friend got maths and economics offer from notts, AAB and hes got no direct contact with any of the staff there :\
Original post by Vav123
thinking of applying for economics next year in year 12 atm do you think i have a chance with these grades

GCSE: 8A*s (maybe 7 because i have an A* for core science then 3 separate A*s for biology chemistry and physics because my school cashed in the core exams and i had to retake them to get the 3 separate grades) 5As 1B (Spanish -.-)

I also done AS maths and biology last year got As in both

This year going to finish maths and biology A2 and do AS's in economics, chemistry and critical thinking and all of further maths A level next year. (our school finishes maths A level in year 12 for people doing further maths)

so by the end of year 13 my A2s will be : Maths FM Biology Chemistry Economics and an AS in critical thinking

Would i have a chance of getting into LSE/UCL/Warwick if i get around 90 UMS in all the exams i'm doing this year or should i instead instead apply for medicine because from what i heard not going to the top uni's leaves you with less chance of getting into good jobs in the city,

Thanks for any replies sorry about the essay :confused:

To be honest, I think you should do medicine. Your grades are brillant for medicine however for economics it is a risk. Why I say it is a risk becaus eyou need around 10 A stars for LSE and UCL, as you have seen in the tread .As far as I'm aware from my brother who studies economics at LSE, he said other university apart from oxbridge, lse and ucl, candidates from those university are less likely to get a decent job in the city. If i was in your situation, I would do medicine because you have the subjects for medicine plus for medicine gcse grades don't matter as much for the elite unis. Also critical thinking, a subject that my school doesn't do is highly regarded for medicine even if you get a B/C.

Hope I have been helpful and hope I have been able to convice you to do medicine. Economics is a really tough course to get it, even harder than medicine so hopefully you can become a doctor:smile:.
How do you find chemistry?
Do you find it easy or difficult?
If your goot at it and think you can get 90s then definately do medicine
Durham University
L100 Economics
AAA (Including economics, excluding Business Studies)

A levels (predictions): Maths (A*) Economics (A*) History (A) Stats (A) Business Studies (A)

AS levels: AAABB (Maths, Ecoomics, History, Stats and Critical Thinking respectively)

GCSE profile: 4A* 6A 2B
so annoying, im still waiting for Nottingham and Birmingham i sent my application on the 14th of October :frown:
Original post by shubham_ag
Yes. I know Bristol is a great university. I have done lots of research believe me. In fact if I was a native Brit I would have probably been jumping in joy and throwing a weed party at my place tonight.

But the fact is I am International, have to pay close to 15,000 Pounds each year plus living expenses which are 4 times as high as India. So that is why I want to spend my Dad's money on something really really worthwhile. Dad may probably have to sell a flat to fund my UK under graduation and I do not want it to be spent on anything other than the very best!!

I don't mean to sound conservative, but your foreign. Your taking OUR university places that are subsidised by OUR taxes, not YOURS. If you cannot get into a better uni don't complain, it's your fault and yours only. I know i'm going to have troubles, since my GCSE results weren't up to standards, but im predicted A's for AS.

Latest

Trending

Trending