The Student Room Group

How did you choose your uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RamocitoMorales
Well at present, it's 5 degree celcius, which is quite warm given the time of year. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think people like you are always going to struggle in life. If you can't even deal with moving out slightly for university, then may God help you with the rest of your life. I'd dread to think how employers would think about your mental strength.

If you honestly 'loved it', then I feel sorry for you. For allowing your weakness to get in the way of ambition. Pity.

First of all, I'm wondering if you realise how serious and painful Raynaud's can be. One odd day does not get over the fact that it is generally colder in the north of the country than in the south.

And we are instinctively driven to stay close to our family, it's how we've survived. The people that move far distances are the stranger ones, and Hertfordshire to Aberdeen is quite some move. It's not 'moving out slightly', it's moving 520 miles, a nine hour car journey.
It's all about the chick to dick ratio
They were fooling people with their incorrect information. They had to be corrected.

You didn't correct them, you just insulted them.

Nobody likes Anglia Ruskin.

Spoiler

Everybody likes ARU! :stomp:
I drew straws between Harvard and Yale.
Reply 44
Aberdeen's a lot better off without you.

Well at present, it's 5 degree celcius, which is quite warm given the time of year. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think people like you are always going to struggle in life. If you can't even deal with moving out slightly for university, then may God help you with the rest of your life. I'd dread to think how employers would think about your mental strength.

If you honestly 'loved it', then I feel sorry for you. For allowing your weakness to get in the way of ambition. Pity.

They were fooling people with their incorrect information. They had to be corrected.

Nobody likes Anglia Ruskin.

Spoiler

You're a meaniepegs.
Original post by TheSownRose
First of all, I'm wondering if you realise how serious and painful Raynaud's can be. One odd day does not get over the fact that it is generally colder in the north of the country than in the south.

There's really not that much difference between London and Aberdeen. We're not talking Greenland and Miami here. :tongue:

TheSownRose
And we are instinctively driven to stay close to our family, it's how we've survived.

I don't believe in human 'instincts'. It's just an excuse for weakness.

TheSownRose
The people that move far distances are the stranger ones, and Hertfordshire to Aberdeen is quite some move. It's not 'moving out slightly', it's moving 520 miles, a nine hour car journey.

People don't travel by foot so much anymore. London to Aberdeen by plane is just over an hour. That's the only 'distance' which should matter. People travel a lot further.

You have to learn to detach yourself from your 'home' and your family. The university becomes your home and you make your own family.
Original post by TheSownRose
You didn't correct them, you just insulted them.

I was hoping they'd take note and correct themselves.
Reply 47
Warwick- Great and quite close to home
Birmingham - Nice campus, Dept wasn't great.
Southampton - Quite good but the offer was higher than it was worth
Sheffield - Loved it here, but accommodation was too far from the campus
Leicester - One word. Grotty

Got offers from all five - for chemistry entry 2010, MChem, except leicester.

Warwick- ABB
Birmingham- ABB
Southampton- AAB
Sheffield-BBB/ABC
Leicester-BCC (3 year) BSc

I looked at the UK rankings and Southampton was the highest, but overall as a uni Warwick holds much more weight to employers, with a decent offer.

So I chose Warwick as firm and Sheffield as Insurance, got into Warwick, love it here.
But truth be told, I think you can love anywhere as long as the course is tailored towards what you want, the material is good and the people are good.
There's really not that much difference between London and Aberdeen. We're not talking Greenland and Miami here. :tongue:

I don't believe in human 'instincts'. It's just an excuse for weakness.

People don't travel by foot so much anymore. London to Aberdeen by plane is just over an hour. That's the only 'distance' which should matter. People travel a lot further.

You have to learn to detach yourself from your 'home' and your family. The university becomes your home and you make your own family.

Wow, nice attitude. :rolleyes:
I started by looking at random prospectuses and chose the ones I thought I'd get into. I originally wanted to apply to Warwick but my RS teacher didnt predict me an A.

I browsed on TSR about creative writing and heard UEA was the most prestigious course so I was automatically biased towards it but then I visited and fell in love. I picked Kent because the course looked perfect for me and it's not too far from London and the year abroad was a huge draw! Oh and Kent have rabbits!

I picked Lancaster not really thinking I'd get in and I must admit the fact it somehow jumped to top 10 this year (even though I don't really care about league tables) influenced my choice as well as the collegiate system. And it's really close to the lake district which looks so beautiful! It's probably going to be my firm if UEA reject me and I haven't even visited yet! :redface:

I honestly have no idea why I applied to Hull! It was totally random with no thought put into it whatsoever. It was a 'just in case everywhere else rejects me' choice.

I applied to RHUL because again, the course looks great and the founder's building is beautiful! :redface:

I picked my choices in a pretty rubbish way! The actual courses look great but I really regret applying to Hull because I still could have had a punt at Warwick. Damn my fear of rejection!
Reply 50
Aberdeen's a lot better off without you.

I'm really heartbroken that you think so :tongue:

It's more than enough for someone with Raynaud's. Seriously, I hope I never run into you in Aberdeen.
Reply 52
Spun around and threw a dart at a dartboard.
Reply 53
Original post by calannra
When I applied last year for 2010 entry I was dead set on going to Birmingham for law. It was the most beautiful place and the law school was stunning. However I missed out on the offer and reapplied for 2011 entry. Turns out Birmingham wasn't for me as I was rejected this time round.

So Reading it is! I think it is the right choice and I like to think things happen for a reason.

Good luck with your other choices :smile:

How the?! Birmingham is not the nicest of places, I'd sooner go to Reading :tongue:
Reply 54
Bristol: It was my initial favourite. Went to the Open Day and liked it a lot, and the offer is AAB, plus it's a BSc. Nice city, near home (1h50 flight), and near everywhere.
Cambridge: I already knew the city, the uni is just amazing, went to the Open Day and really loved a college.
I applied for the prestige, but apart from that, I applied to the city and the college, more than the uni. I love it there.
Durham: I fell in love with the place. The uni is prestigious, and the course structure is good. I liked the feel of the NorthEast (as expected, though, I got rejected).
St Andrews: I wanted to have at least one non-English uni in my choices. It offered me more International Relations than Politics (being one of the best departments of IR of the country). The town was amazing, and liked the atmosphere among students. The offer is doable, and the course structure is the best ever.
York: I have got no idea of why. I visited Edinburgh and Southampton, thinking I'd like them. I did not (Southampton was meh, I hated Edinburgh - no offence, please!). Then, I wanted to pick a fairly good uni, but with an offer not higher than AAB. York came to mind, flicked through their prospectus. After I'd sent my application I wondered whether I should've applied to an ABB uni (which would have been most probably Newcastle, if I need to go into Clearing, I'll go straightaway to Newcastle, as it's the North East, near Durham, but a pretty good uni still).
In the end it was okay, though: so far, it's the only uni that has given me an offer.

I knew I wanted to try at Oxbridge, and from the very beginning I felt inclined towards Cambridge (though I have never been to Oxford). I don't really like the PPE course structure, while love PPS, so I reckon I chose well.
I also knew I did not want to live in London, or nearby. I liked the courses at LSE and RHUL, but they are in London (RHUL is just outside London, it's not within London but it still counts to me as 'London').
Actually, I applied to Cambridge because... well, I don't really need to justify that one. But for me it's still too close to London. Though, 40 minutes is actually okay.

I love London, don't get me wrong, but for uni, I'm not sure that's what I want.
Reply 55
Original post by Wookie42
How the?! Birmingham is not the nicest of places, I'd sooner go to Reading :tongue:

Well that is your opinion isn't it? I loved Birmingham Uni and the city and I felt comfortable there.
Reply 56
Original post by calannra
Well that is your opinion isn't it? I loved Birmingham Uni and the city and I felt comfortable there.

Oh I know, I didn't mean you made a bad decision, just didn't really understand why :tongue: Each to their own as they say :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by Wookie42
Oh I know, I didn't mean you made a bad decision, just didn't really understand why :tongue: Each to their own as they say :smile:

I didn't take it that you thought I made a bad decision.

I'm not going there anyways now. Reading is where its at fo'sho
Reply 58
Whichever had the most party animals!!! Wait... no.
Solely based on the course; I had never visited Glasgow when I accepted my offer. I've not actually ended up doing that course, but luckily Glasgow had plenty of other options for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending