The Student Room Group

Speaking against injustice if British soldiers were involved...

Let us say British soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan did something immoral like we see the americans doing (videos by wikileaks of American Soldiers killing civilians after falsely telling HQ they were armed...)

If I see the Brits doing something similar, and I speak against it and call them terrorists, would this make me a traitor/unbritish?
Reply 1
They did not falsely tell HQ they were armed.They made a mistake and thought they were armed. Its a pretty easy mistake to make in a combat situation.

And speaking out against atrocities committed by troops probably makes you more patriotic.
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12
They did not falsely tell HQ they were armed.They made a mistake and thought they were armed. Its a pretty easy mistake to make in a combat situation.

And speaking out against atrocities committed by troops probably makes you more patriotic.

They clearly were not armed... If I sitting here on my screen could see they were not. That is the point of the footage, it was obviously on purpose.
Reply 3
Original post by 4TSR
They clearly were not armed... If I sitting here on my screen could see they were not. That is the point of the footage, it was obviously on purpose.

Hardly. If they had done it on purpose they would have said something along the lines of hey look lets kill those civilians.
Reply 4
Original post by Aj12
Hardly. If they had done it on purpose they would have said something along the lines of hey look lets kill those civilians.

They couldn't say that because they needed clearance from HQ... so they said armed where it is clear as anything they were no where near armed. Why did he say some guys with RPGs where it was just a few guys walking in a group clearly with nothing on their person?
Reply 5
Original post by 4TSR
They couldn't say that because they needed clearance from HQ... so they said armed where it is clear as anything they were no where near armed. Why did he say some guys with RPGs where it was just a few guys walking in a group clearly with nothing on their person?

He saw a group and one of them carrying something. They thought they had RPGs so they shot at them.
Reply 6
Original post by Aj12
He saw a group and one of them carrying something. They thought they had RPGs so they shot at them.

We either didn't see the same video, or you really need to watch that again.
LOL I actually do think people would assume you are being anti-British if you think that way. Oh and then people would say '9/11 this, Al Qaeda that'... or 'they deserve it blah blah blah...'.
Reply 8
Original post by 4TSR
Let us say British soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan did something immoral like we see the americans doing (videos by wikileaks of American Soldiers killing civilians after falsely telling HQ they were armed...)

If I see the Brits doing something similar, and I speak against it and call them terrorists, would this make me a traitor/unbritish?

They didn't falsely tell HQ they were armed. They WERE armed.

If the photographers want to hang around with a bunch of insurgents wielding RPGs, then getting caught in the crossfire is an unfortunate part of the risk you take when you become a front-line journalist.

And in case you feel the need to dispute this:

You'll see the armed group at around 03:37, toward the top of the screen, behind the photographers in question.

One guy is swinging an AK in his right hand. Another clearly shows an RPG when he turns and faces side-on from the camera.

Some stills in case you're still dubious:

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by 4TSR
We either didn't see the same video, or you really need to watch that again.

Read the above post and remind me who needs to watch the video again.
Reply 10
Original post by FyreFight
Read the above post and remind me who needs to watch the video again.

Ok put that aside for a moment... can you answer the question which is the point of this thread?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending