The Student Room Group

Cut off ALL my friends, now starting to think it was a terrible idea

I'm in A2 year of college and all the friends I had from high school I completely lost contact/ drifted from them, and as a result I don't speak to any of them anymore, at first I wasnt bothered but now I've realised I will be spending my 18th and new years eve alone, I don't have friends at college, merely acquaintances which are too superficial to be made into real friendships but I'm still feeling like I should have a group of "true friends" like everyone else, I cut my friends off because they were really bitchy and I'm sure I was and still am bitched about they were making me feel really low..... I don't know what I want from this thread just a rant really but can anyone sympathise with my situation, anyone similarly waiting for uni to come round to hopefully make some new better friends, anyone spent an 18th etc alone??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
18 is just another number, If your old friends were bitchy and treated you like crap, then they really weren't your friends.
Reply 2
I spent my 18th alone, probably many people did.
Reply 3
I don't have any friends at school because they all left (coincidentally), and although I have a few good friends outside school, I am waiting for uni to make friends.
If you haven't actually had any kind of big falling out with them, why don't you just call them again? Or spend your b- day and new year with your family? x
Reply 5
What makes it worse is that I dont even get on with my family, so I will literally be alone....Sad times.
Make some new friends? Or re-establish connections?
Reply 7
do a barrel roll
spent my 21st in uni writing essays, did have lunch with the family.. but cant say that was the most exciting birthday ever...
and new year iv never spent with friends, millenium (sp?) spent with family but other than that spent them on my todd, my nan died new years eve/day (about half past midnight... kinda ruins them both knowing last thing she did before died was watch fireworks on tv) since then iv avoided new year so far as spending it on my at uni doing work.... dont i sound fun :P

people make days out to be special, birthdays, holidays, etc but there only special if they mean something to you and you want them to be...
x
Reply 9
Rebuild relationships which were once strong.
They didn't sound like good friends, it wasn't a terrible idea.

But seriously, make a better effort with the people you know at college. You don't see them as true friends as you don't know them well enough.
Reply 11
=/
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in A2 year of college and all the friends I had from high school I completely lost contact/ drifted from them, and as a result I don't speak to any of them anymore, at first I wasnt bothered but now I've realised I will be spending my 18th and new years eve alone, I don't have friends at college, merely acquaintances which are too superficial to be made into real friendships but I'm still feeling like I should have a group of "true friends" like everyone else, I cut my friends off because they were really bitchy and I'm sure I was and still am bitched about they were making me feel really low..... I don't know what I want from this thread just a rant really but can anyone sympathise with my situation, anyone similarly waiting for uni to come round to hopefully make some new better friends, anyone spent an 18th etc alone??

invite your old high school friends over! have a great catch up! its simple!

My mum always told me that sometimes it is better to be alone than in bad company.

It's really true.

I cut off a lot of contact with friends during college because they weren't good friends... just people I kept seeing out of habit. I was lonely to start with but now I can see what a good move it was getting rid of those bitchy people.

Plus, your 18th is just another birthday, not everyone makes a massive deal out of it. I always have quiet birthdays with my family :smile:
Don't let it get you down.
Reply 14

Would you rather spend time alone or go back with your bitchy friends?

Also, they are your acquaintances if only you think they are. You've got to make more effort to be friend with them, this is how things work. My suggestion? Go find someone you're comfortable with and ditch that bitches.
Reply 15
There's nothing wrong with getting in contact with some of your old friends and seeing if any of them are up for a catch-up. It's a good way of working out whether it's worth trying to re-ignite the friendship or whether you were right to let it die. I had a similar situation, in that I was in a large group at school who were constantly ripping chunks out of each other behind everyone's backs; I got sick of it, so when I got to college, I cut ties with as many of them as I could and found myself a lot happier. In the short-term, at least, but that's another story.

Fast-forward a year, and I get a message from one of my old mates asking if I fancy meeting up again. I decided that there was no harm in it, and what I discovered was that she'd matured a lot and that we got on quite well. Admittedly we were still too different to ever become properly close, but it was nice to find out what she was up to, at least. We now meet up every few months for a chat, when we're both home from uni. I know that's not really the kind of thing you're after, but you never know what's going to come out of these things. I certainly would never have expected to be on such good terms with this particular girl. And if it doesn't work out, at least it will stop you wondering if you're better off now or not.
I am 18 soon too and by searching in Google I've seen people saying it should be like one of the greatest days of your life. :s-smilie: My birthdays are traditionally ****, the people I spent it with this year I am no longer in contact with for the same reasons as you, and I fully anticipate something to go wrong next year as well. :tongue:

What do you want to do for your birthday? It doesn't have to be a MTV Sweet 16 thing. Invite some people out. Get to know them before you go. Just do something fun! :smile:
I caught a really bad flu on my 18th. I spent the day trying not the crap my pants or vomit in my bed, while I shivered unrelentlessly with a painsplitting headache.

It was so bad I didn't even remember it was my 18th for most of the day.

Can't say I can relate to the whole being alone thing, but my 18th going to waste? I really can.
Reply 18
I didn't have a big 18th. I tried to organise a party for my 21st but hardly anyone turned up. If you look at the big picture, it's just another day in your life. It doesn't have to be special. You need to decide if it's worth getting in touch with your old friends. Sometimes I think it's better to have bad friends than none at all. Loneliness is horrible.
i have zero friends because for the last 5 years i hated the way i looked! i now am re building my life but cant find any friends. i can't wait for uni - and a gf along with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending