The Student Room Group

Sudanese woman flogged & humiliated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVXRuAaCVlY&feature=player_embedded

1:50 is just hard to watch... Apparently they did this under Sharia but failed to apply it properly (because whipping somebody properly is perfectly fine). Irrespective it's pretty ****ing horrible as is the whole Islamic revolution which split the country in half. Also 30~ women were arrested for protesting against this whipping.

Just an example of what Islamic revolutions can do to a country and its
people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11812926

+2 -163

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please don't denounce a system you have no knowledge on. She was flogged under a Ta'zeer ( discretionary) ruling. If you actually disagree with the ruling then I suggest you take it up with the judge.

Islamic law is not fully being practised at all in any country and when they do try, the systems to make it fair, just and even correct are not in place.
Reply 2
She's getting flogged for adultery and or running a brothel not wearing trousers......

Isn't the majority of Sudan Muslim anyway, so i don't know what you're talking about "splitting the country in two".
(edited 13 years ago)
there must be 20 or so new threads about islam everyday on this site.... regardless, this is just so wrong in every single way.

i dont know how religious people can say us athiests have no morals. videos like this show the indecency within religions
Reply 4
Original post by In2deep
Please don't denounce a system you have no knowledge on. She was flogged under a Ta'zeer ( discretionary) ruling. If you actually disagree with the ruling then I suggest you take it up with the judge.

Islamic law is not fully being practised at all in any country and when they do try, the systems to make it fair, just and even correct are not in place.

So if practised in full what punishments does Islamic law allow?
Reply 5
I don't understand why you got all that neg rep?
Original post by SmartFool
I don't understand why you got all that neg rep?

Three negs is nothing :colone: He put the fake neg rating at the bottom of his post to give the false impression he doesn't care about getting negged and expects it :lol:/:facepalm:
Reply 7
Original post by Aj12
So if practised in full what punishments does Islamic law allow?

As I said, there is no exact punishment even though it is against the law. In this instance, a qualified Judge would have to make a discretionary punishment. Discretionary punishments can be anything from a minor fine to a death penalty (in extremely rare cases) or even ignored. Strict requirements for evidence (including eyewitnesses) have severely limited the application of both hudud penalties and ta'zeer punishments. False statements and presentation of false evidence is also harshly penalised.

If there was a an Islamic state, then I would I assume, in the aim to be fair, that all punishments for a particular offence would be equal. Remembering the fact Islamic Law is based on deterrence instead of the punitive system the law is based on most countries.
Reply 8
Original post by thisisnew

Just an example of what Islamic revolutions can do to a country and its
people.

Lets make sure the Green party's Islamic revolution never happens in Iran then.
Reply 9
Original post by n1r4v
Would you say you take pleasure in knowing that a woman daring to dress in forbidden trousers is receiving her 'just' punishment? I.e does in2deep approve?

Really?
cba to join you tube - what's she getting whipped for - wearing trousers?
Reply 11
Stay within the law and Life will be fine!
Dear Friends,

Before passing any judgement, the 1st question we should consider having watched this short clip is, "who is this woman, and what crime did she commit?"

Moroever, since the thread description is connecting this clip to the shariah law it would be appropriate to state the actual law regarding 'slashing' so that we all can appreciate what the shariah actually states - also upon what conditions must the 'slashing' be applied?

Additionally, since you mentioned the islamic revolution - could you please define this term and please explain what its about? moreover and in any case, its totally irrational to assume a short clip from youtube is representative of the islamic faith on a whole - in the same way i can also post short clips and make something look good or bad to agree with my ideas or opinions.

p.s. thanks for sharing the video though
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by n1r4v
Not pleasure as in getting off pleasure, e.g. satisfaction when a murderer is put away for life etc. Basically do you think it is just?

You clearly said it for a reason. I suggest if you want an answer from me that you ask me directly instead of playing with words.

As for your patronisingly constructed question, I wholly agree with the judge's right to make a discretionary verdict, I though, cannot agree or disagree with the punishment given as I am not a Judge and I clearly do not have enough knowledge of Islamic Law and Jurisprudence.
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
cba to join you tube - what's she getting whipped for - wearing trousers?

Yup.

Original post by In2deep

Why not? Islam allows a judge to punish those that are causing social disintegration. The judge ruling was perfectly Islamic (assuming he has enough evidence). The evidence Islam requires is sometimes laughable and the evidence it denies is also quite laughable.

What is the purpose of your last statement?
Reply 15
Original post by n1r4v
I did ask very directly in my second reply to you: do you think this is just (on a personal level)?

She broke a law and was penalised. The verdict could have been heavier but also could have been a lot lighter. Out of all the women in Sudan, do you really think she is the only one that has ever worn Skin-tight jeans (they have to show the figure for them to be "wrong")?

On matters of religion, there is no personal view.
Reply 16
how predictable. yet another one of your threads bashing religion, whilst using inaccurate details. The split of Sudan is not due to this "Islamic Revolution" you speak of.
Reply 17
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Yup.

Really because I looked on the SUNA website and there's no mention of this, come to think of it actually, it looked like she was getting a belting, this is not flogging.

She's getting "flogged" for adultery and or running a brothel.

The Judiciary affirmed that it has started investigating on means of inflcting a punishment on a girl charged under articles 154 and 155 of the Criminal Law for the year 1991, whose video was aired on the Internet

http://www.sunanews.net/english-latest-news/15954-judiciary-starts-investigation-on-video-of-lashed-girl-aired-on-some-websites.html

Article 154 and 155 of the Sudanese penal code mandates flogging up to 100 lashes as a punishment for adultery or running a brothel, as well as up to five years in prison.

http://www.sudantribune.com/Sudan-s-judiciary-orders-probe,37253

She got off lightly to say the least
(edited 13 years ago)
I read it in BBC News. It is because she wore trousers. This was all because she wore trousers which apparently are "illegal" under Sharia Law
Reply 19
Original post by Sir Jonathan
I read it in BBC News. It is because she wore trousers. This was all because she wore trousers which apparently are "illegal" under Sharia Law

The link please?

OP- I discussed this yesterday on ask a muslim thread, here, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28906985&highlight=
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending