The Student Room Group

Sudanese woman flogged & humiliated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
cba to join you tube - what's she getting whipped for - wearing trousers?

No for adultery or running a brothel it's not specified which
Original post by Diaz89
Really because I looked on the SUNA website and there's no mention of this, come to think of it actually, it looked like she was getting a belting, this is not flogging

Well I am not fully sure, I thought it was the same case as the one in the ask a muslim thread.
Reply 22
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Well I am not fully sure, I thought it was the same case as the one in the ask a muslim thread.

Sorry check the edited post, it's more clear.
Reply 23

Why not? Islam allows a judge to punish those that are causing social disintegration. The judge ruling was perfectly Islamic (assuming he has enough evidence). The evidence Islam requires is sometimes laughable and the evidence it denies is also quite laughable.

What is the purpose of your last statement?

Discretionary punishment means exactly what it says. The Judge himself (or herself, if you are a follower of the hanafi madhab) is also human and can make mistakes.

It would also be correct if the judge gave her a fine of £10, similarly, it would have been perfectly acceptable if the punishment was harsher.

As for your last sentence, I assume you're just being provocative so I will ignore it.

Original post by n1r4v
Okay. I might PM you about this later, I've got a lot of interesting questions to ask :wink:

I look forward to it :smile:
Yeah I read that today. BTW it is NOT a Muslim Sharia Law. It is just a law that the Northern Sudanese made up.
Reply 25

Yep I was referring to the same case. I was guessing it was due to trousers.
****!

At 1:53 does she get lashed in the face?!?
Reply 27

The moral of the story is don't break the law.

Spoiler

Reply 28
Original post by In2deep
Discretionary punishment means exactly what it says. The Judge himself (or herself, if you are a follower of the hanafi madhab) is also human and can make mistakes.

It would also be correct if the judge gave her a fine of £10, similarly, it would have been perfectly acceptable if the punishment was harsher.

I'm just looking to clarify your position here, without passing any judgement on it.
Are you saying that religion should be followed to the letter, and not questioned, because it is a religion?
And are you saying that because the judge is a judge, his opinion is always correct, and his decisions should not be questioned?

The above questions are not intented to be provocative or derogatory or anything else along the same lines.
Cheers
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality

Yeah I read that today. BTW it is NOT a Muslim Sharia Law. It is just a law that the Northern Sudanese made up.

Doesn't look like it's made up law, where is your proof for this?
Reply 30
Original post by Captain92
I'm just looking to clarify your position here, without passing any judgement on it.
Are you saying that religion should be followed to the letter, and not questioned, because it is a religion?

What I mean is that if you are a Muslim, for example, then you should follow Islam. I understand that not everyone is perfect but that is very different from knowing something is haraam [forbidden] and you still do it in any case while arguing you are right.

I don't say this because it is a "religion", I just believe that being a Muslim and opposing certain clear-cut Islamic rulings is highly hypocritical. You either are a Muslim completely or you are not, I emphasise on this point because we can see in our modern society what "picking and choosing" does to a religion.

And are you saying that because the judge is a judge, his opinion is always correct, and his decisions should not be questioned?

His or her opinion is not always correct, far from it. What I am trying to get across is the fact that the judge has the option of being flexible because it is a discretionary punishment.
Doesn't look like it's made up law, where is your proof for this?

No it's a law. It is not Sharia Law though. People don't understand the truth and meaning behind the Sharia Law.
Reply 32
Original post by In2deep
What I mean is that if you are a Muslim, for example, then you should follow Islam. I understand that not everyone is perfect but that is very different from knowing something is haraam [forbidden] and you still do it in any case while arguing you are right.

I don't say this because it is a "religion", I just believe that being a Muslim and opposing certain clear-cut Islamic rulings is highly hypocritical. You either are a Muslim completely or you are not, I emphasise on this point because we can see in our modern society what "picking and choosing" does to a religion.

His or her opinion is not always correct, far from it. What I am trying to get across is the fact that the judge has the option of being flexible because it is a discretionary punishment.

Right, ok makes sense.
So we're pretty much on the same page.
No it's a law. It is not Sharia Law though. People don't understand the truth and meaning behind the Sharia Law.

See this post. Where is your evidence that it isn't part of Sharia law? There is a punishment for adultery/running a brothel under Sharia law.
Is this legal in the uk? My mum was wearing jeans the other day
Reply 35
Original post by adam_zed
how predictable. yet another one of your threads bashing religion, whilst using inaccurate details. The split of Sudan is not due to this "Islamic Revolution" you speak of.

Another one of my threads? You say that like I churn them out at a Lovely88 rate. In fact I don't recall making any other threads bashing religion.

Both of Sudans civil wars are largely down to the Arab Muslim dominated north (the politically stronger of the two) marginalizing the non-Arab south. The south has continually fought against the instillation of Islamic law and made progress until al-Bashir and his "revolution" overthrew the current government and implemented (his own?) Sharia. Eventually a treaty was signed granting the south autonomy but this coming year there will be a referendum on as to whether the South will secede and some people fear it won't hence the "take us back to the stone age" comments in the article. While the "revolution" or enforcement of Islamic Law might not be the sole cause it's certainly one of the biggest.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by thisisnew
Another one of my threads? You say that like I churn them out at a Lovely88 rate. In fact I don't recall making any other threads bashing religion.

Both of Sudans civil wars are largely down to the Arab Muslim dominated north (the politically stronger of the two) marginalizing the non-Arab south. The south has continually fought against the instillation of Islamic law and made progress until al-Bashir and his "revolution" overthrew the current government and implemented (his own?) Sharia. Eventually a treaty was signed granting the south autonomy but this coming year there will be a referendum on as to whether the South will secede and some people fear it won't hence the "take us back to the stone age" comments in the article. While the "revolution" or enforcement of Islamic Law might not be the sole cause it's certainly one of the biggest.

The root causes of Sudan civil war is traced to British colonial policies that split Sudan into two. One half administered by Sudanese in the North and the South by the British. This policy created a wedge between the two people and never allowed there to be a sense of national unity and most importantly undermining any nationalist aspiration after the Mahdist revolt to maintain colonial rule.

After the finding of Oil in the South during the 1970s and the incompetence of the government to distribute the wealth coupled with the communist influence that penetrated the South, the war took an ideological role. The SPLA adopted this ideology as tool to fight the decades of Southern underdevelopment. Hence the war started before Bashir came into power and most importantly when he organized a military coup not an "Islamic Revolution", he removed Sharia law from the South enacted by Sadiq Al Mahdi's government to find anyway to end the war that completely crippled the country. The South wasn't content with this and so sought for the full overhaul of Sudanese society and the total acquisition of Oil revenues. Hence as with most cases in Africa the war is about poverty and minerals.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by thisisnew

The biggest? A good proportion of the commanders of JEM are Muslim. You're seriously understating the impact of other factors such tribalism, political allegences, culture, nationalism and probably the biggest factor, economics. The south has a huge amount of sudans oil.
Reply 38
Original post by Diaz89
She's getting flogged for adultery and or running a brothel not wearing trousers......

Isn't the majority of Sudan Muslim anyway, so i don't know what you're talking about "splitting the country in two".

about splitting the country:
sudan is (crudely speaking) made up of muslim arabs in the north and christian blacks in the south- i think. And there's been a civil war going on for ages so they're thinking that splitting the country up might resolve some issues
Reply 39
Original post by amsie/
about splitting the country:
sudan is (crudely speaking) made up of muslim arabs in the north and christian blacks in the south- i think. And there's been a civil war going on for ages so they're thinking that splitting the country up might resolve some issues

The majority of Southerners aren't Christians, they hold indigenous beliefs and make up for 25% of the country, Christians make up only 5% of Sudan and most of them live in the North as a consequence of the Civil War. Splitting the country only serves one purpose and that is the complete destruction of the South by the warring ethnicities whom will seek domination over the another as it already happened even when they were fighting the North.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/su.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending