The Student Room Group

What is necessary for A/AS level Further Maths

If I am to complete my A level Maths, including: C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 and D1. What else is necessary in order to get an AS level and A level in Further maths. I.e. M1, M2 etc.

Thank you, very much.

- Daniel Morris

Oh, and, is it just me or is TheStudentRoom really slow?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nah tSr is usually slow

For a lvl maths C1 C2 C3 C4 S1 D1
For further maths alvl theres a few routes Easiest route (if you do physics ) FP1 FP2 M1 M2 M3 S2

if you want to study maths at uni FP1 FP2 FP3 (any 3 app units M1 M2 M3 ETC )

Fp1 is compulsory, FP2 or FP3 is complusory - one of these must be taken

the other 4 units are completely based on your choice (and your teachers perhaps )
as long as there's no overlap of units between Maths and Further maths
Reply 2
So, if i do C1-4 S1-2 M1-3 and FP1-2, i'll have an A level Maths and A level Further Maths?
Original post by sohail.s

nah tSr is usually slow

For a lvl maths C1 C2 C3 C4 S1 D1
For further maths alvl theres a few routes Easiest route (if you do physics ) FP1 FP2 M1 M2 M3 S2

if you want to study maths at uni FP1 FP2 FP3 (any 3 app units M1 M2 M3 ETC )

Fp1 is compulsory, FP2 or FP3 is complusory - one of these must be taken

the other 4 units are completely based on your choice (and your teachers perhaps )
as long as there's no overlap of units between Maths and Further maths

I never got the "FP2 or FP3" thing. That sort of implies that you can do FP3 without having done FP2? :lolwut:
Original post by im so academic
I never got the "FP2 or FP3" thing. That sort of implies that you can do FP3 without having done FP2? :lolwut:

You can.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93

You can.

How does that work? I thought modules "follow on"? I.e. you can't do M4 without M3/M2/M1 as the knowledge gained in the previous modules is developed and used again in M4.
Original post by Daniel Morris
So, if i do C1-4 S1-2 M1-3 and FP1-2, i'll have an A level Maths and A level Further Maths?

Thats 11 so you need 1 more, I would suggest D1.
Reply 7
You need 12 modules in total, including C1-4, FP1 and at least one out of FP2, FP3 (or FP4 if you're on AQA). The other modules need to be made up from any choice of the remaining modules, with the rule that you can't have, say, S3 without S1 and S2. The only exception to this is the FP modules, where you can do FP3 without FP2, and (if on AQA) you can do FP4 without FP2 or 3.
How does that work? I thought modules "follow on"? I.e. you can't do M4 without M3/M2/M1 as the knowledge gained in the previous modules is developed and used again in M4.

FP2 and FP3 are an exception.

No, because that's only 11 modules. You need a 12th, such as NM, DE, or D1.

FP3 has almost nothing in common with FP1 or FP2. It's entirely new material, and in my experience is easier than FP2 (that said, my results were pretty crap in both, I didn't need further maths to meet my offer so basically gave up on it).
Reply 10
Thank you very much for all of your help. It is much appreciated.

I'm still curious as to how the AS Further Maths works. Is it just 9 Moduels for an AS?
Reply 11

nope, you need one more unit - D1 is easiest from the ones available

12 units is all you need :wink: ( 6 for each A level)
Reply 12

yep thats right, some schools teach both FP2 and FP3 which is the hard way but more useful for students that want to go onto do a maths degree, some just do one of the units which is "easiest" for the students to maximize their grades - i think FP2/3 is the only unit you can do without having sat the prerequisite - maybe M3 before M2 in some cases i guess (further maths)
FP2 and FP3 are an exception.

Briefly, what are the difference between them two?
Reply 14

true, but edexcel have done this so you can, in2008 when they made new spec further pure units they shuffled a lot of stuff around

in FP3 there is further matrices, co-ordinate systems.( which are both learnt first in FP1 but don't appear in FP2 ) hyperbolic functions, differentiating hyperbolic's (these 2 are completely new ) integration (carries on from C4 but standard integrals are shown and just a lot harder stuff like surface area of revolution through integrating) and lastly vectors which carries on from C4 again.

in FP2 there's Inequalities (C1 stuff + modulus inequalities ) Series (from FP1 but shown as method of differences ) Further Complex Numbers (FP1 ) First order differntial equations (C4) 2nd order differential equations (NEW) Maclaurin/Taylor Series (NEW) and polar co-oridinates (NEW )

Both units have some stuff carried on from fp1 but also a chunk of new stuff so its basically a matter of choice since not much is required from fp1 that follows on whereas like you say in Mech M4 builds on from M3/2/1 but in FP2/3 its a completely different case.
Reply 15
Briefly, what are the difference between them two?

see my post, not sure if its brief or not :biggrin:
Reply 16
Thank you very much for all of your help. It is much appreciated.

I'm still curious as to how the AS Further Maths works. Is it just 9 Moduels for an AS?

hey , for core maths your doing C1 C2 C3 C4 and S1 D1

for further maths AS FP1 is compulsory so two units along with it are required which can be any two units that you havent counted for maths - so you cant do D1 or S1 again - possible combos : M1 S2, M1 M2, M1 D2, S2 D2 ) just choose whatever's best for you
(ALL ABOVE IS ABOUT EDEXCEL new spec )
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
hey , for core maths your doing C1 C2 C3 C4 and S1 D1

for further maths AS FP1 is compulsory so two units along with it are required which can be any two units that you havent counted for maths - so you cant do D1 or S1 again - possible combos : M1 S2, M1 M2, M1 D2, S2 D2 ) just choose whatever's best for you
(ALL ABOVE IS ABOUT EDEXCEL new spec )

Thank you very much. Much appreciated.
You can do a 'further additional maths' AS by taking another 3 applied modules or effectively 3 A levels in maths by taking all 18 modules in edexcel...or so I understand...
Reply 19
Original post by perrytheplatypus
You can do a 'further additional maths' AS by taking another 3 applied modules or effectively 3 A levels in maths by taking all 18 modules in edexcel...or so I understand...

yep that's right for the edexcel spec theres only 18 units so doing them all gets you 3 a levels in maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending