The Student Room Group

Need to learn French ASAP - help

Ok so today I went to UCL law open day and they offer a course with French Law and a year in Paris...I've always wanted a year abroad but I didn't do French or German to A level.I was wondering what the best way would be to quickly learn lots of French, as much as possible...I'm thinking if I somehow do this, perhaps over next summer, I can ask to transfer onto that course. They did say today that a girl who hadn't done French A level managed to transfer to this course halfway through the first year, and came back from her year abroad completely fluent...however I'd rather start learning now so that I can at least offer some French.

I did do French GCSE but got a B - tried to do German as well and got an A, but my GCSEs were pretty poor anyway (upped my game at AS lol). But any advice would be great.
Reply 1
Search for summer schools in France, or placements throughout the summer holidays.
Original post by judgejohndeed
Ok so today I went to UCL law open day and they offer a course with French Law and a year in Paris...I've always wanted a year abroad but I didn't do French or German to A level.I was wondering what the best way would be to quickly learn lots of French, as much as possible...I'm thinking if I somehow do this, perhaps over next summer, I can ask to transfer onto that course. They did say today that a girl who hadn't done French A level managed to transfer to this course halfway through the first year, and came back from her year abroad completely fluent...however I'd rather start learning now so that I can at least offer some French.

I did do French GCSE but got a B - tried to do German as well and got an A, but my GCSEs were pretty poor anyway (upped my game at AS lol). But any advice would be great.

I got French GCSE at A. Teacher said no transfers. And we are soooooooooo flexible. She was even reluctant to let me take it as an AS in my A2 year alongside my A2 subjects. But she said see her in Summer/Spring 2011 and she will check out my french and let me on the course if I do well.

Because we English people are cursed: the ole "I used to do french at school but I forgot it now" curse. Yeah laugh it up Pierre but not for long my friend. :biggrin:

Because you tend to forget it after a while I'm starting to forget all I knew too. Pick up some language resources and learn like tapes etc.... Will PM you tomorrow and give you more info. I might ask the College Librarian tomorrow
Reply 3
Original post by Hylean
Search for summer schools in France, or placements throughout the summer holidays.

I did search :/ I can't find any that aren't around 3-6k though.

Original post by Sir Jonathan
I got French GCSE at A. Teacher said no transfers. And we are soooooooooo flexible. She was even reluctant to let me take it as an AS in my A2 year alongside my A2 subjects. But she said see her in Summer/Spring 2011 and she will check out my french and let me on the course if I do well.

Because we English people are cursed: the ole "I used to do french at school but I forgot it now" curse. Yeah laugh it up Pierre but not for long my friend. :biggrin:

Because you tend to forget it after a while I'm starting to forget all I knew too. Pick up some language resources and learn like tapes etc.... Will PM you tomorrow and give you more info. I might ask the College Librarian tomorrow

Thanks, do you go to UCL? I just want to pick it up again so I can do the course :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending