The Student Room Group

Applause after lectures?

I hope you're all having a good holidays if you're off yet.

I was just talking to a friend who is back from a different university and he was really surprised that, a lot of the time, there's applause after lectures at LSE. Not always, but a lot of the time. For extra examples sessions it doesn't happen and I always feel bad for the guy :\ This is for typical, teaching undergraduate lectures. Not massive applause, but just me (or whoever imitates it) clapping a few times, then everybody else clapping half-heartedly for about three or less seconds. It happens after most lectures if I'm honest.

It just seems polite really if you ask me. They are professors and have to talk in detail about their subject to a large group of people for several hours each day when they probably prefer to be researching or teaching classes or whatever. It just seems rude not to.

Is this weird, or common amongst universities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Our lecturers specifically asked us not to?

EDIT: like, at the start of the first lecture I mean.
(edited 13 years ago)
I've never heard of such a thing. As long as they are getting paid for it, I don't see why they'd care about getting applause.
Reply 3
It's common to applaud after the last lecture in a complete course. Clapping after every lecture is just retarded. How dorkily hyper-keen are these people?
Reply 4
We just clapped for our lecturers at the last lecture of the course or if we had someone else in for the particular lecture.
The only time we've clapped a lecturer was last Friday, because he was leaving the uni and it was his last ever lecture- and he was awesome!
We only clap at the end of the last lecture a lecturer gives, either before a change of staff or the end of the course.
Reply 7
:lolwut:

I've never clapped after a lecture, never seen it happen either.
Only happened like twice after a lecturer had his last lecture. Besides that, never.
If the lecturer bested an arrogant, pretentious student in an argument, proceeding to beat him in a duel, with gloves then I would give him a standing ovation, as would everyone else in the lecture I hope
Reply 10
We might do it if we have a special guest lecturer, our regular tutor will lead them, but almost every other time, then no we don't clap.
We usually do applaud after lectures if we have a guest lecturer ( a lot of the time). But then again this is at a drama school, it's what we do!
Reply 12
I ****ing hate it when the turds in my class do it

mega cringe
Only for guest lectures... otherwise it's just awkward.
Reply 14
Only time I have ever seen this is in the last lecture of one of our modules. People are too busy hurrying out of the door, that and I think applauding someone doing their job is a little silly.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
When I was in my first year everyone clapped at the end of each lecture for the first week or so, until one of the lecturers told us we were being weird for doing it. Now we just clap at the end of a lecture course.
yeah guest lecturers are the only ones who get applause, and theyre normally like eminent doctors so it kinda feels right to..
It never happened in my first degree up in Durham, but now I see it happening at pretty much every lecture at GKT. The first time it happened I was thinking "what the hell?" but I'm used to it now. Still find it weird though, so don't get involved myself
We clapped at the end of the lecture course.
Never clapped for a lecture. Might do it if I knew the lecturer was leaving, but otherwise no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending