The Student Room Group

Is this cruel of me?

I'm the sort of person who finds shops and shopping stressful and distressing. Wonderful as they are in many ways, my friends are the sort of people who like to dawdle and look around shops, which I find a really horrible experience.

So, when I said I was going to get all of my Christmas shopping out of the way today and my friends offered to come, I said, "Thanks, but I'd rather go alone." Pressed for a reason, I was honest: "Because it'll take me a couple of hours and you'll make it at least six."

They were upset and thought I'd been mean ... but it's no secret that I shop much quicker than them. Was I unkind, or was that a fair comment?
get less overly-sensitive friends... done.
depends how you said it. If you laughed about it she should have been able to laugh along and understand. If you snapped with a scowl on your face I can see why it could be hurtful.

Surely it would have been less awkward to say you just prefer shopping on your own at your own pace?
Reply 3
lool, fair comment, funnyy aswell :smile:...........if they were upset maybe u should have apologized for turning them down and say "maybe next time"
Reply 4
I expect you delivered it insensitively.
Reply 5
Nah, it's fine, I tell my friends (not in a mean way) they do too much window shopping, nothing else. It's no biggie :biggrin:
Reply 6
I don't think I said it meanly... I smiled and laughed as I said it.

I don't mind that they do that, if we've gone out together for a general look-around I'll just leave the shop if it gets too much and get drinks for us all or something like that. Just today, I wanted to get things and blast through them.
I honestly would think your being a bitch.

Queue the neg reps! All forth!
Reply 8
i would not mind :L but tbh i understand because i dont like shopping either :frown:
Original post by TheSownRose
I don't think I said it meanly... I smiled and laughed as I said it.

I don't mind that they do that, if we've gone out together for a general look-around I'll just leave the shop if it gets too much and get drinks for us all or something like that. Just today, I wanted to get things and blast through them.

It could have been worded better... but if you smiled and laughed then im sure they wouldnt take it the wrong way... especially since they're your friends.

I'm actually the opposite...and my friends know that ha.
I like to take my time during shopping... one of the big reasons why i dont take any guys too:tongue:

But yeah.. i do shop around with friends.. just to have that fun time with them.. and also sometimes help eachother decide what to get...even with lunch ha. But i also shop on my own for a lot longer.
Although I know who likes to spend their time like me and who doesnt:biggrin:
If you told them politely then I can't see the problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending