The Student Room Group

Does it ever annoy you when a person texts you?

Scroll to see replies

I'm surprised when I get one text. My phone rings rarely.
Nope, not at all.
Original post by joey11223
This! Especially when you've sent a text asking a question and you need the answer soon, you check and it's something like your network provider giving you a reminder or someone replying to something you sent days ago and forgot about. :tongue:

Oh yes! 02-UK are the bane of my life.
Reply 43
Original post by Quail
One guy texts me (and all my friends) about once a month with a text which ALWAYS, without fail, reads:

'Iya bbe how r u? x'

I don't think any of us have ever replied, but seemingly that is irrelevant.

There are some people I receive texts from where I just think 'I cannot be bothered with you right now, just leave me be, you selfish eejit, bleeping at me and demanding my time', as if they know I'm in a bad mood! Ha, I'm so unreasonable.

Some people are just a lot of 'effort' to text, if anyone knows that feeling. You see their name on the screen and you think 'Oh god, here we go', and the thought of replying becomes a burden. Maybe I'm just a really horrible person though?

that my friend is what is called a conversation starter, thats what he wants with you a conversation. I think its very harsh that you arent even replying to the poor guy, hes making an effort to talk to you and your just blanking him. :/ Id Hate to be your friend.
There's this one person who only ever texts me with stupid jokes or chain mail, that's annoying. Otherwise, no.
I don't have a phone so not an issue for me.
Reply 46
Yes. I feel texting should be reserved only for concise and necessary communication eg. emergency homework questions, meeting times etc. not having a conversation sentence by ****ing sentence.
Reply 47
I gave some guy my number after he bugged me for it and he text me telling me who it was (well obviously) and then the next day simply text me "Hey :smile:"
wtf was I supposed to reply to that? All I could think of would be "hey" in return and I don't have credit to waste. You don't beat about the bush in texts.
So yeah, pointless texts annoy the HELL out of me ¬¬
Original post by Daya
Yes. I feel texting should be reserved only for concise and necessary communication eg. emergency homework questions, meeting times etc. not having a conversation sentence by ****ing sentence.

meh since a fair few smart phones have very good touch type keyboards (HTC desire I love you) and display text messages between individual contacts in an IM style format I admit to having conversations with those who have a lot of texts in their contract, I mean I have what 5k...may as well make use of em. Just like right now..
Original post by Cheech23
that my friend is what is called a conversation starter, thats what he wants with you a conversation. I think its very harsh that you arent even replying to the poor guy, hes making an effort to talk to you and your just blanking him. :/ Id Hate to be your friend.

I barely even know the guy! And when you find out he mass-sends the same texts to most of the girls in his phonebook, it's pretty hard to conjure up the enthusiasm to reply. Way back when, when I used to reply to be polite, I'd get replies such as 'Gd thx' or 'lol', so I don't think you could really call it a conversation starter.
Reply 50
Original post by Quail
I barely even know the guy! And when you find out he mass-sends the same texts to most of the girls in his phonebook, it's pretty hard to conjure up the enthusiasm to reply. Way back when, when I used to reply to be polite, I'd get replies such as 'Gd thx' or 'lol', so I don't think you could really call it a conversation starter.

Well you never said that before!!! :tongue:

Thats different then, i thought the guy was your friend. Maybe the guy just wants to have a conversation hence the mass sending, however if its mass sending at the same time on the same day thats a bit crazy lol, if its like on txt here and there to people in his contacts then maybe he just wants to chat.
Reply 51
Original post by Arekkusu
I often imagine this is what people feel about me, if that helps.

Me too!

This is what makes me worried about texting people!

Oh and no, I never get annoyed! Unless it's chain mail or something!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Cheech23
Well you never said that before!!! :tongue:

Thats different then, i thought the guy was your friend. Maybe the guy just wants to have a conversation hence the mass sending, however if its mass sending at the same time on the same day thats a bit crazy lol, if its like on txt here and there to people in his contacts then maybe he just wants to chat.

Oh god no, I last saw him about a year ago probably? I remember once I was with my friends at someone's house, and suddenly we all got a text... from him... all saying 'Ite bbe u k? x'

It used to be a lot more frequent (as in every day), so at least that's something. I always reply when it's a friend!
Reply 53
Original post by Quail
Oh god no, I last saw him about a year ago probably? I remember once I was with my friends at someone's house, and suddenly we all got a text... from him... all saying 'Ite bbe u k? x'

It used to be a lot more frequent (as in every day), so at least that's something
. I always reply when it's a friend!

HOLY SH!T!!!! WTF thats damn crazy
:gasp:
Reply 54
no, i don't mind when people text as long as i am not busy
Reply 55
Well, only in certain situations. For example, recently I've become EXTREMELY irritated with my mum's constant texts; all of which are along the lines of - 'Hey sweetie, how are you? It's lovely and warm over here, we're having tons of fun! How are you? We wish you were here! xx' I absolutely refuse to reply to these texts, mostly because I am out of credit more often that not, but also because, well, quite frankly i'm quite bitter that I'm in miserable ol' england while my family are living it up in portugal :eviltongue: xD
I'm normally usless and lazy my phone, always forgetting to pick it up lol! I don't find it a complete necessity (for me, anyway).
My texts are normally about arrangements, so thankfully they're relevant! Texts come in useful when I'm trying to distract myself from studying or I'm bored lol. It's also nice receiving texts at the end of the day :smile:... makes you feel a bit loved. Cannot stand persistent texts or irrelevant ones though - definitely ones that annoy me!
No.

Although I do find in annoying when people reply back with one worded messages, or least to that effect. Also the unnecessary use of the word 'lol'. Now that is extremely irritating.
Sometimes. The worst thing is when I forget to put my phone on silent at night, and just as I'm about to fall asleep, my phone goes off and without fail it's a random drunk message that makes no sense at all. WHY.
Original post by qwerty_mad
Obviously if they persistently do it, you'll get annoyed, but I'm talking maybe once/twice over three, four days, sometimes even a whole week.

Do you ever think "oh, what does he/she want?", "begging a convo". Lol.

Depends very much on who...one person I knew who always used to contact me whenever they were bored/wanted gossip (which was frequently)and just be annoying generally always eluded a mental sigh from me when I saw their name in my inbox...

I think once I even threw my phone at the wall but that was after some particularly inane message

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending