The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They're both Irish medical schools? Why do you need to choose prior to interview?
Reply 2
Original post by libra08
hi! i will be having a university interview this january and i have to choose between UCD and RCSI. the problem is that i dont know which to choose..anyne can advice me? i will be applying for medicine..both seem to have their attractions! :confused:

UCD, by far! Seriously It is not even a decision. I have both friends studying med in RCSI and UCD, and even though UCD is my arch-rival ( I went to Trinity), I have to say UCD. Everyone says it is much better. UCD has a much better campus, much better Uni life, the class gets on really well and are really close, they have lots of med events, have really good research facilities, very good lecturers. It is harder to get in to UCD in Ireland than it is RCSI, so for everyone going there, it is their first choice ( if not Trinity:smile: ) and RCSI, definely second.

Hope that helps and good luck!

xxx
Reply 3
Original post by Beska

Original post by Beska
They're both Irish medical schools? Why do you need to choose prior to interview?

Yup, both are in Dublin. I have to choose prior to the interview because they will ask me which do i want to go to. I will be doing a twinning programme with either of the two.
Reply 4

Original post by jcas
UCD, by far! Seriously It is not even a decision. I have both friends studying med in RCSI and UCD, and even though UCD is my arch-rival ( I went to Trinity), I have to say UCD. Everyone says it is much better. UCD has a much better campus, much better Uni life, the class gets on really well and are really close, they have lots of med events, have really good research facilities, very good lecturers. It is harder to get in to UCD in Ireland than it is RCSI, so for everyone going there, it is their first choice ( if not Trinity:smile: ) and RCSI, definely second.

Hope that helps and good luck!

xxx

Hmm actually i never know that UCD is much preferred compared to RCSI. By the way, are you from Ireland? Do you know how old the students generally are for 1st year for medical programme? Haha perhaps it sounds weird but i'm just curious to know! :P
Thanks for the help!
Reply 5
Original post by libra08
Hmm actually i never know that UCD is much preferred compared to RCSI. By the way, are you from Ireland? Do you know how old the students generally are for 1st year for medical programme? Haha perhaps it sounds weird but i'm just curious to know! :P
Thanks for the help!

Hey,

Yeh, it definely is more prefered. Both are usually from 18-20 in1st year, both there are 23/24 year old also, as they would be grads, probaly more grads in UCD.

Yeh, I am from Ireland, lived in Dublin all my life, went to Trinity am now studying in Oxford. I pretty much know the Irish system in side out and my aunties a medic lecturer and my cousin is in UCD 3rd year studying med.

When's the interview?
I may apply to Ireland in January if my UCAS does not go well, so I have been looking at different medical schools there and UCD, UCD and Trinity were the ones I liked.
Reply 7

Original post by jcas
Hey,

Yeh, it definely is more prefered. Both are usually from 18-20 in1st year, both there are 23/24 year old also, as they would be grads, probaly more grads in UCD.

Yeh, I am from Ireland, lived in Dublin all my life, went to Trinity am now studying in Oxford. I pretty much know the Irish system in side out and my aunties a medic lecturer and my cousin is in UCD 3rd year studying med.

When's the interview?

great! at least i can ask you a few things about dublin :smile: the interview is on 18 jan and i seriously got to start preparing for it now. do you have any advice? are you studying medic too? by the way, can you tell me about anything that is special in dublin or ireland? food, places, stuffs, or just anything else that you can think of. i just want some opinions from the locals and compare them with what i can get from the internet..

there's another thing that i want to ask you which has nothing to do with ucd/ rcsi. can you tell me something about the living expenses there? let's say if i get UCD, i will have to stay in the hostel for the 1st year. do you have any idea how much the hostel cost for a month? what about for food and other necessities? i thought it would be wiser to ask people living there so that the amount that they estimate will be more accurate. one more thing, i intend to get a new handphone but i'm not sure whether i should get one here or over there. How do the mobile phone service provider work over there?
thanks lots lots lots!!!!!
hi guys, do any of you know whether an english student who's studied medicine in Dublin can do F1 and F2 back in England?
Reply 9
Original post by annaroberts20
hi guys, do any of you know whether an english student who's studied medicine in Dublin can do F1 and F2 back in England?

Hey...
I'm not totally sure. But from the Foundation Programme website, it would seem that as you are graduating from a non-UK medical school, you have to submit an eligibility application, which this year, had to be submitted between July and August. Due to EU freedom of work etc, I'm pretty sure you'd be eligible though.

Here's the link I'm basing this on....
http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/medical-students/faqs#answer92
I'm pretty sure if you drop them a wee email though, that they'd be able to answer your questions and address any concerns you have!
Good luck :smile:
Original post by areyousure?
I may apply to Ireland in January if my UCAS does not go well, so I have been looking at different medical schools there and UCD, UCD and Trinity were the ones I liked.

RCSI is £34, 521. and people are complaining about 10 grand!
Original post by annaroberts20

Yes, i have plenty of classmates from england and northern ireland coming to trinity to do their mb bch bao. they all intend to go back.
Reply 12
I've put RCSI over UCD on my choices, i may have to change it now!

From what i've heard RCSI is 80% international and with only 30 odd places, it can be a bit boring.
Reply 13
Original post by gozatron
I've put RCSI over UCD on my choices, i may have to change it now!

From what i've heard RCSI is 80% international and with only 30 odd places, it can be a bit boring.

That is 100% true. Seriously change it. I probaly can't stress that enough. You will not get a college experience if you go to RCSI. Obviously studying medience is a privilige, so if it is second choice I really wouln't worry about it, but just if you had the choice now to pick go to UCD. I have friends in both and the verdict is overwhelming.

Hope all prepartions are going well, hope that helped in so way:smile:!
Reply 14

Original post by jcas
That is 100% true. Seriously change it. I probaly can't stress that enough. You will not get a college experience if you go to RCSI. Obviously studying medience is a privilige, so if it is second choice I really wouln't worry about it, but just if you had the choice now to pick go to UCD. I have friends in both and the verdict is overwhelming.

Hope all prepartions are going well, hope that helped in so way:smile:!

Thanks! I've gone a changed my order now. Do you know much about Galway and UCC ? I live near Galway so i know the area but in comparison with UCC?
Reply 15
Original post by gozatron
Thanks! I've gone a changed my order now. Do you know much about Galway and UCC ? I live near Galway so i know the area but in comparison with UCC?

My friend has just started Post-grad Med in Galway and loves it. She has just completed a neuroscience degree from Trinity and her first choice was UCD, but because of that damn points system, she had to take her second choice, but so far she thinks its great. Good standard, good class. If you live near Galway, I would prob advise going there, as it is no different to UCC, if not a bit better and plus it is always good to be close to home when you want it. My aunty is a consultant at Galway and helps with the intern rounds and says they are always very capable. That said she is urging our cousin to go to UCD, as it is is the best all round for medience ( the Trinity head in me, tries to avoid saying this:tongue:).

Are you taking the LC this year? If so hope all prep is going well! I remember the days:rolleyes:!

Latest

Trending

Trending