The Student Room Group

Could I have done something? What if he was dying? :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EskimoJo
I would have phoned the police at the time. I wouldn't bother doing anything now.

The idea of calling police was not in my head at the time. I was just too scared and wanted to get home as soon as possible. :frown: Well, I just called the police in case there is a guy beign injured and he is still there. This is probably pointless but I did it anyway. :frown:
Original post by street.lovin'
But I am not sure whether it was a crime though.
That park has a reputation of people getting drunk and mess about. If nothing was actually happening will I get arrested for wasting th epolice time? :frown:

No you won't, it's not like you're calling them out if you go to the station and just explain what you saw.. it's upto them if they do anything about it then, isn't it.
Reply 22
Original post by uktom91
You shoulda gone and looked tbh. One reason this country is so ****ed up is people dont give a **** about each other. Like one guy i saw faint outside a shop once and everyone just walked by like selfless bstards

Including you by the sounds of things...
Reply 23
I would have picked up the pace and walked home twice as fast and i think the vast majority of people would have. There is no way I'd be turning around... It's cowardly and horrible but I highly doubt many people would run into a pitch black park where someone is being mugged - how on Earth could they have stopped anything? You could have phoned the police but then, what if it was nothing? Better safe than sorry so phoning the police would probably be the best bet...
But I am not sure whether it was a crime though.
That park has a reputation of people getting drunk and mess about. If nothing was actually happening will I get arrested for wasting th epolice time? :frown:

The police wouldn't of arrested you for calling them to tell them you heard someone shouting help. Especially not if the area was as bad as you are saying.

You can still call them now you know ? For all you know someone is in trouble.

Worst thing that can happen ? They send 2 police officers in the area to have a look round and they don't find anything.

Or they find someone who is hurt and get him help/They are in the area and stop another potential crime happening by being there (You never know)
Reply 25
Really in a park at night, in the dark, theres not much you could've done to help at the time. Going back could put you in danger, which wouldn't help the guy at all. At least you've phoned the police, so that can give you some peace of mind.
Don't feel too guilty though! Your own safety is the most important thing! As a girl, its particularly risky to go into a situation like that, where you have no idea whats happening.
I doubt many people would have stopped to check in that situation :smile:.
Reply 26
You could have shouted back something..

But you can't change anything now, whats done is done.
Original post by KissMyArtichoke
Ok well i'm gonna be enormously sexist here and say there's not a lot OP could have done, which just leaves her BF. Now put yourself in his position. He either go back with her, possibly towards someone with a knife or gun, or leave her alone in a dark alley and go back. Obviously if I was on my own I wouldn't even hesitate, but when you're effectively putting someone else's life in danger too sometimes it's not so simple.

Not sexist to point out that one girl doesn't have much chance against potentially a few armed men :dontknow:
I would never have gone back. I know it's harsh, but if it were a murder, and you started to help, what would have happened if the murderer had targeted you? There would be three casualties, not just one. You wouldn't have solved a problem, just created two more.
It's the same reason why you'd not go into a burning building to help somebody who's calling from the flames.
Reply 29
Original post by Anonymous
I would have gone. But i'm a fool looking to kick ass.

would you have whacked him with your keyboard?
Original post by Bella Occhi
Not sexist to point out that one girl doesn't have much chance against potentially a few armed men :dontknow:

Just trying to avoid the inevitable neg rep from TSR feminists :biggrin:
Is it just me who would seriously consider that someone would just be shouting 'Help!' to lure you into a dark, remote space :erm: ?

I think that I would have shouted back 'Hello? Are you alright?' and then take action from there, but I don't think it would be wise to wander into a big, secluded park at night.
Reply 32

Be glad you didn't go and help.

That's how white people always die in the movies.

you're evolving, good for you.
Original post by CitizensUnited
I would never have gone back. I know it's harsh, but if it were a murder, and you started to help, what would have happened if the murderer had targeted you? There would be three casualties, not just one. You wouldn't have solved a problem, just created two more.
It's the same reason why you'd not go into a burning building to help somebody who's calling from the flames.

Original post by calannra

Original post by tikkitak
Really in a park at night, in the dark, theres not much you could've done to help at the time. Going back could put you in danger, which wouldn't help the guy at all. At least you've phoned the police, so that can give you some peace of mind.
Don't feel too guilty though! Your own safety is the most important thing! As a girl, its particularly risky to go into a situation like that, where you have no idea whats happening.
I doubt many people would have stopped to check in that situation :smile:.

Original post by TheFlyingDutchman
The police wouldn't of arrested you for calling them to tell them you heard someone shouting help. Especially not if the area was as bad as you are saying.

You can still call them now you know ? For all you know someone is in trouble.

Worst thing that can happen ? They send 2 police officers in the area to have a look round and they don't find anything.

Or they find someone who is hurt and get him help/They are in the area and stop another potential crime happening by being there (You never know)

Original post by ak9779
I would have picked up the pace and walked home twice as fast and i think the vast majority of people would have. There is no way I'd be turning around... It's cowardly and horrible but I highly doubt many people would run into a pitch black park where someone is being mugged - how on Earth could they have stopped anything? You could have phoned the police but then, what if it was nothing? Better safe than sorry so phoning the police would probably be the best bet...

Original post by Gemma :)!
No you won't, it's not like you're calling them out if you go to the station and just explain what you saw.. it's upto them if they do anything about it then, isn't it.

Hey, I have called the police. They went there and checked and called me back to say that they did not find anything suspicious... :smile: Well, I hope it was nothing and not like the person injured and went home by himself already r something like that. But at least noone was dead...

:smile:

Original post by Yawn11
Be glad you didn't go and help.

That's how white people always die in the movies.

you're evolving, good for you.

hehe I am Asian... :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34

hehe I am Asian... :P

Oh... Well... In that case... You should have gone lol.
Reply 35
Original post by calannra

:rofl:

"HELP!"

..."WITH WHAT?!"
Reply 36
don't let the hair fool you. I'm not a bitch, you shouldn't be either.
Original post by Bella Occhi

Blinded by ideology the TSR feminists take any comment related at females in a sexist light, even if to make it sexist you have to interpret it in a ridiculous way. His announcement that it was sexist even though it wasn't was to at least try and calm them down, at least he admits he is a sexist pig, they'll make him suffer..but maybe he'll get to live.:biggrin:....:s-smilie:....:confused:
Seriously, how the **** did it not occur to you to call the police?!?!
I think your bf did the right thing by keeping you safe, yes it might have been better to report the incident ASAP to the Police, but potentially there was not much you or her could do. It's the same in any dangerous situation, you're always meant to make sure you are safe before helping another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending