The Student Room Group

Economics degree without the A-Level?

So I'm in Year 12, and I'm studying Maths, English Lit, French History and Ancient History for AS. However, I've recently become interested in the idea of an Economics-based degree (e.g. Economics and History). I know it's not absolutely essential to have A-Level Economics, but realistically am I going to be severely disadvantaged for not having it? (bearing in mind it wouldn't be full-blown Economics at Uni)
Also, what do people suggest for familiarising myself with general Economics content in preparation for potential interviews?

Any help appreciated! Thanks :smile:
Maths is the key one to have. Arguably Further Maths is more important than Economics.
You'll need to show your interest more than anything else. Just be sure you explain you reason for not choosing economics at A level and do some reading around the subject to show your dedication.
Reply 3
Just read around the subject to prove that's what you want to do. Many people will not have economics.
Reply 4
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Maths is the key one to have. Arguably Further Maths is more important than Economics.

Not for a Economics and History degree.

@ OP, maybe pick up Economics for AS in year 13?
Reply 5
At my camberg interview I was the only kid without econ. But it isnt even available at my school so whatev
Reply 6
Original post by TheSophistory
So I'm in Year 12, and I'm studying Maths, English Lit, French History and Ancient History for AS. However, I've recently become interested in the idea of an Economics-based degree (e.g. Economics and History). I know it's not absolutely essential to have A-Level Economics, but realistically am I going to be severely disadvantaged for not having it? (bearing in mind it wouldn't be full-blown Economics at Uni)
Also, what do people suggest for familiarising myself with general Economics content in preparation for potential interviews?

Check the TAELT 2011 whether they require or even prefer for you to have economics, I think you will be surprised how many actually want you to have it ( I believe Bath do), you have Maths and therefore you are pretty much ok to have the go ahead to apply, and will not be disadvantaged at the universities that say you don't need it or that they don't prefer it etc.
Check the reading list on the prospective economist blog.
Get a undergraduate first year text book - really helpful, go through it make quick notes.
Would be wise to pick up Further maths at as level or even economics?
(edited 13 years ago)
You have Maths; you're fine.
Reply 8
Speaking from the perspective of A level economics it took a while to "click" for me, i would recommend you read up a lot to go in at degree level.
Reply 9

No no no, I think that most universities have a different course content for people without a background of A-Level Economics. Think of it as a foundation year, but its not actually a foundation year :s-smilie:. I dunno if that made sense. Its a bit like doing a Medicine degree without any science related qualifications at A-Level. And yes, they do exist. :smile:

Gd luck (y)
Reply 10
Original post by Mr.Messy
No no no, I think that most universities have a different course content for people without a background of A-Level Economics.

Really?
You'll be fine provided you can do okay in Maths.

If you are only doing 3 A2 subjects, be wary that you should probably continue Maths, English, and one of your History subjects (instead of Maths and both your History subjects - as the History ones might be seen as too similar/overlapping even though I understand they might seem really different to you.)

Definitely read about your subjects with regards to interviews; be particularly familiar with the UK's economic history and maybe even others' economic history. But don't forget your current stuff. Maybe you could search online for some interview questions that people have had before? I don't know if Google will generate any useful results but it can't hurt to try.
You don't need the A Level, but it helps. If you put in the work in first year, you will catch up. It just takes a application and patience.
Also, universities know that many schools do not offer economics at A Level since most 6th forms favour business or the combine business and economics (perhaps these are seen as more accessible?).

If you're competent with your Maths and willing to work hard, then I'd say you're groovy.
Reply 14
Thankyou guys, that's really helpful. Further-reading it is! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by danny111
Really?

Yep.
Not many though, but um off the top of my head Kingston. That's if you want to go there :P

http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/economics-2011/entry-requirements.html

They say:
"A-level: Economics not mandatory students without A-level Economics follow a different programme of study."

So I'm guessing that more of the exist, somewhere.
Reply 16
Thankyou guys, that's really helpful. Further-reading it is! :biggrin:

i know this is an ancient thread now but what books have you read in preparation? i also want to do history and economics but dont do the A-level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending