The Student Room Group

Applause after lectures?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
So far no clapping has occured at the end of any lectures. Not the first one, nor the end of the course.

There's been a small amount of clapping during a lecture, when our lecturer said "I am 99% sure that the cup will be fine when I let go"

The cup fell about 6 foot onto the ground and smashed, instead of being suspended in the system like it should have been.
Reply 41
Only with the guest lecturers. Its awkward when you do it with the regulars.
I do, as does nearly everyone on my course for most of the lecturers. Noone knows why or how it starts, but it always seems to. I think it's quite a common medicy thing to do.

We have the molecular medicine students in our anatomy lectures; not only do they not clap (which does look a bit rude when everyone else is doing it and they're just getting up to leave), I've heard them slagging us off about it once or twice too.
Reply 43
Gotta be one amazing lecture.
Original post by Potiron

Original post by Potiron
True. But Ryanair play a fanfare when they land successfully too.

I know it makes me giggle SO MUCH!
Reply 45
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I know it makes me giggle SO MUCH!

I laughed too, it was a little light relief after the terror of the flight I guess. I'm not very good on planes.
Original post by Potiron

Original post by Potiron
I laughed too, it was a little light relief after the terror of the flight I guess. I'm not very good on planes.

Ha ha it's light relief for me too, not because I'm not good on planes, but because my mum isn't, and my dad and my brother cannot comfort her very well so I'm left there trying to comfort her while she is in tears...not exactly my favourite job in the world...
we've got one lecturer who likes to sing and play an instrument halfway through his lectures, so we clap for him ... otherwise the lecturers are lucky to get a thanks or bye.
Reply 48
That's so strange :lolwut:

Original post by n1r4v
People on my course did it at almost every single lecture throughout the first year.

It was :lolwut:

They probably thought once they started they couldn't stop for fear of insulting the lecturers :P
Reply 49
If I was a lecturer I really wouldn't want people to applaud me after every lecture. That would feel a bit awkward...
For the last lecture by that lecturer (of the term) then yeah.
Reply 51
Pretty uncommon I think.

Enjoy your holidays too, thanks.
Reply 52
Original post by i.am.lost
I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread...

People have been doing that at Cambridge and I'm finding it incredibly weird. They're not some kind of keynote speakers who've come out of the goodness of their heart, if this was a business situation we don't applaud someone at the end of their PowerPoint presentation.

I really wish people would stop it, because others look at me as if I'm being rude when I don't applaud.

Don't worry, I never did it either.
Reply 53
Never seen it happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending