The Student Room Group

Parking ticket loopholes

I parked in Soho [London borough of Westminster] on Saturday afternoon which I got a PCN [parking ticket]. I appealed on grounds that there weren't any visible signs showing parking time restrictions. I got a letter back after 3 weeks saying that '...a waiting is in force in Portland Mews between 8:30am and 6:30pm Monday to Friday which prohibits waiting and parking.'

I think whoever typed that letter made an error that the word 'Friday' should really be 'Saturday' so can I appeal on procedure error or technicalities etc? I really don't want to pay a £60 fine and if I lose I could be paying double! :mad:

Furthermore, I checked on Westminster council website to see the photo evidence but it didn't show a pic of parking time restriction sign. Would I win the appeal on this too?

What's your views on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if you pay the fine quickly, it's less than stated apparently. if you leave it, it will only keep rising. Majority of appeals are dismissed. Don't bother mate
Reply 2
Sounds like you would win.
Reply 3
I believe most appeals end up thrown out, and you'll only end up paying more by then. I'd probably just pay the fine tbh.
Reply 4
Have you gone back to where you parked to check if there are any signs about?
Reply 5

^ On Google Streetview sort of :lol: However, apparently they don't have to put signs in every street. :mad2:
Reply 6
Original post by LaughingBro
^ On Google Streetview sort of :lol: However, apparently they don't have to put signs in every street. :mad2:

I don't know where you'd find out, but if you want to follow it up the only way is to find out the regulations. Then check (in person, google is out of date) whether they are within range (there will need to be a sign within a certain distance from each place I presume).
Reply 7

^ Cheers for advice. May go to local Citizens Advice Bureau for help.
Reply 8
Majority are not thrown out. I write at least an appeal every couple of days for my dad and he has only paid four or five times (out of a possible ~30).

Threaten to take them to court. It costs them more to go down this route then what they could gain from the money they want you to pay.

You must though at least have grounds to reject it, I'm amazed my dad comes up with all this technical jargon to build a (rubbish) case bit it works :dontknow:
Reply 9
Original post by In2deep
Majority are not thrown out. I write at least an appeal every couple of days for my dad and he has only paid four or five times (out of a possible ~30).

Threaten to take them to court. It costs them more to go down this route then what they could gain from the money they want you to pay.

You must though at least have grounds to reject it, I'm amazed my dad comes up with all this technical jargon to build a (rubbish) case bit it works :dontknow:

Not everyone can work it like we do bro. :cool:
Reply 10
Original post by DJkG.1
Not everyone can work it like we do bro. :cool:

Missed you bro, I guess your studies are keeping you away from TSR :colondollar:

I'm going to go sleep now bro, PM me! Tell me how everything is going on?
if the signage is not in accordance with The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 then you WILL eventually win the appeal. Many councils will reject your appeal automatically with random bull**** even though its not legal.
They expect you to do what the simpering idiots above suggest and just give up.

If you have a case, fight it (as long as you deem the time required worth less than the fine blah blah)
I won my appeal, it is worth. Ironically, it was the evidence the council sent in that convinced the appeal women I was right.

You need to ensure that, along with no signs around, that you were not in a 'parking zone'. Check for signs at the end of the road when you enter, and possibly further back.
Reply 14
Original post by rmhumphries

^ I've checked on Google Streetview and found out that I've missed a lot of parking zone signs! :frown:
Original post by LaughingBro

You joke but my friend recently got off a parking fine using that. He took screenshots of the road he parked in on Google Streetview and then emailed them to the council who revoked the fine.

He basically parked in one of those 'resident permit holder only' spots but the residents' cars were electronically tagged to park there so my friend argued that with no sign or any cars displaying a permit, he had no way of knowing.
Just pay the parking ticket.
Reply 17
There is no harm in appealing, as you as you appeal within the 14 day reduced period, even if your appeal is rejected, you have another 14 days to pay at the reduced rate.
Reply 18
Is it a council ticket or from a private company?

If private then, don't pay it. I've received several similar tickets and just thrown them off my windscreen. I've not paid them anything nor have I heard from any of them. Town and city parking are the worst.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
You won't get away with it on signage if one does exist within so many metres, and you won't get away with it because of an administration error.

I did win on signage - but halfway so, because it sets a precedent that they have to do the same thing to all their signs; I was made to pay £15 of a possible £60 - it did rise to £240 with solicitors before I introduced legal proceedings. The £15 was a statement to say 'I was still at fault', but we accept that you were kind of right. It's BS.

I would pay the £60 because you simply don't have experience of the system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending