The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Worth paying £9000 a year to go to Sheffield Hallam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sheffield Halam is my 1st choice, and you won't pay £9,000.
Only the Russell Howard group are likely to charge fees of £9,000, therefore if you applied to Sheffield uni then you'd expect to pay something like that.
Film studies?
Unless you think that it will better yourself for your future, even if it's £6,000 a year, that's a lot of money if it doesn't really benefit you.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by Louzilla
Sheffield Halam is my 1st choice, and you won't pay £9,000.
Only the Russell Howard group are likely to charge fees of £9,000, therefore if you applied to Sheffield uni then you'd expect to pay something like that.
Film studies?
Unless you think that it will better yourself for your future, even if it's £6,000 a year, that's a lot of money if it doesn't really benefit you.

Haha. That god damn comedian.
If you want to do Film Studies, don't do it at Hallam. There are plenty of Russell Group unis that do Film - Warwick, Leeds and Nottingham to name a few, and they have pretty lowish entry requirements. And Nottingham has alumni links with Fox Searchlight, the Juno people, and some of the Film students got internships in the US.

A lot of your future employment prospects do rest on reputation of the university, courses don't matter as much really as most employers don't care what degree you did (unless you want to be a doctor or something like that, then it would help to maybe get a medical degree! :biggrin:), despite what most on TSR are saying. I say go for a good uni for your course because it will be worth the money.
Reply 23
Original post by drpetergriffin
Haha. That god damn comedian.

Damn! I meant to put the Russell Group, I must be thinking about TV too much. :|
With all the teaching and research cuts, I'm afraid that Sheffield Hallam will most likely charge £9000, as will all universities.

yahyahyahs
If you want to do Film Studies, don't do it at Hallam. There are plenty of Russell Group unis that do Film - Warwick, Leeds and Nottingham to name a few, and they have pretty lowish entry requirements. And Nottingham has alumni links with Fox Searchlight, the Juno people, and some of the Film students got internships in the US.

A lot of your future employment prospects do rest on reputation of the university, courses don't matter as much really as most employers don't care what degree you did (unless you want to be a doctor or something like that, then it would help to maybe get a medical degree! ), despite what most on TSR are saying. I say go for a good uni for your course because it will be worth the money.

I'm afraid that degree > university.
(edited 13 years ago)
I wouldn't pay 9k per year to go to any uni... but guess you need to ask yourself how much you expect to earn after graduating. Why is it hardly anyone ever mentions the fact that if you need a tuition fee loan you most likely will need a maintenance loan as well... slap on another 3k per year
Reply 26
OP, you won't get many balanced replies on this forum (packed with pre-freshers obsessed with reputation and rankings, but largely ignorant about what actually matters*).

Original post by insoms
Oh god no.

The reason we're in this mess is because Labour thought it would be a good idea to send everyone to uni to Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent to do Sociology and Film Studies etc.

Are you sure about that?

People can argue till they're blue in the face but Film Studies and the like simply aren't acedemic subjects. Hence they don't belong in a University. I'm not saying they aren't worthy pursuits, but surely they're more suited to a vocational route.

So only academic subjects should be offered? You don't want universities to offer medicine, nursing, dentistry, physiotherapy and a whole host of other vocational degrees that will arguably contribute to society more than many degrees that are considered to be academic?

PS: I can't help but consider it ironic that you're advocating purely academic courses (with your own definition of academic) when you can't even spell the damn word.

Also before someone flames me, Sociology can be acedemic, but I get the impression the majority of people I see taking it picked it as an easier version of Psychology. Party animals from Highschool picked it and I don't know how, they must of just went down the list and went "Yeah that looks easy I can do that", because the sixth forms and colleges convinced them that everyone has to go to university.

Before someone flames you? To try to prevent any 'flaming' you use an "I get the impression..." argument? Poor stuff.

If you can get into one of the top Film Studies Universities and think its a surefire way into the career you want, go for it. But don't be fooled into thinking having a degree ANY degree is equally regarded as the next degree holder.

Something we mostly agree on.

*Not to say I'm omniscient with this matter. I'm most certainly not. I just recognise that there's a lot more to graduate employment than the ranking of your university.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RamocitoMorales
I'm afraid that degree > university.

Using the scenario of say, banking, you are saying that an Oxbridge History graduate would not be more favoured than a Hallam Economics graduate? Many history graduates have gone into banking and related careers, which shows that what you took actually doesn't matter. And many politicians have degrees in Classics, History, i think Caroline Flint did Film and American Studies - not very related to politics. At lot of City firms actually target the Golden Triangle unis, some hiring regardless of what degree the applicant actually took. A neighbour, whose brother works for a City firm, said that one of the main factors is the name and prestige of the uni.
Reply 28
Original post by Kinkerz
So only academic subjects should be offered? You don't want universities to offer medicine, nursing, dentistry, physiotherapy and a whole host of other vocational degrees that will arguably contribute to society more than many degrees that are considered to be academic?

PS: I can't help but consider it ironic that you're advocating purely academic courses (with your own definition of academic) when you can't even spell the damn word.

Surely medicine and dentistry are academic subjects? I'm pretty sure not many people would class it as vocational, I mean I know there are vital skills doctors must have but surely all the academic knowledge outweighs that.

Also, maybe the person who spelt academic wrong my have dyslexia? You shouldn't judge someone by poor spelling or grammar.

Back on topic, if you think the course and the place are a bit rubbish, why are you even asking if other people think its worth it when its pretty obvious you don't think it is.
Reply 29
Original post by Dadeling
Surely medicine and dentistry are academic subjects? I'm pretty sure not many people would class it as vocational, I mean I know there are vital skills doctors must have but surely all the academic knowledge outweighs that.
Medicine and dentistry are vocations. It's just they're often perceived as being academic because they're traditional, include science and fit in with the prestige craze.

Anyway, even if you want to class them as academic subjects, does that mean you don't want universities to offer other vocational degrees that you don't consider academic? I don't know about you, but I like the idea of physiotherapists, nurses, pharmacists, etc. in the healthcare system.

Also, maybe the person who spelt academic wrong my have dyslexia? You shouldn't judge someone by poor spelling or grammar.
Thank you for such a valuable life lesson.
Reply 30
Original post by joeyg
Hey

I am considering going to SHU starting in 2012, to study film studies. However I am not sure whether to go because £9000 a year is a lot of money, and obviously its a pretty rubbish uni and I will probably end up in a minimum wage job at the end of it anyway (as the course is fairly poor). So not sure if its worth it as its such a bad course. Help?

If you think it's a rubbish uni and a poor course why are you even considering it!? I would like to clarify though that it is not a "pretty rubbish Uni"... all universities have areas of expertise which they excel in and areas that are less strong. SHU has international renowned research in areas like health, sports and bioscience for a start so not all course are bad, some are in the top few within the country above many traditional red bricks. I teach on three Ug course which have had 100% employment within three months of graduation for the last ten years. If you are thinking long term it is the career that you should decide on first and then work out what you need to do to get into it....
Original post by joeyg
Hey

I am considering going to SHU starting in 2012, to study film studies. However I am not sure whether to go because £9000 a year is a lot of money, and obviously its a pretty rubbish uni and I will probably end up in a minimum wage job at the end of it anyway (as the course is fairly poor). So not sure if its worth it as its such a bad course. Help?

A rubbish Uni? I dont think so. Your course is just a load of crap anyway and its taught better elsewhere.

Hallam excells at teaching courses such as construction and sport so you're shiit outta luck boy.
Original post by Hart92
No mate, you will have a minimum wage job because you are going to do film studies.

I was going to say exactly this. "Media studies" and anything with "film" in the title were the next big thing when I applied to uni. Out of the two people I know who did it, 3 years later, one is working as an apprentice in his dad's furniture business and the other works in the Jobcentre.
Reply 33
hi there why are you worrying about paying the £9k?
you only start paying this back once you start earning over £21k even when you earn £24k you only start paying back about £30 a month even a salary of £40k you only pay abck about £140 a month
people need to start understand that student will be better off paying the high course fees compared to the low course fees of pre 2012. The reason being you had to start paying the loan back once you earned over £15k. Based on the previous salary amounts you could earn £24k you would pay back £67.50 a month and even a salary of £40k you would end up paying £187 a month.
Now you do the math and see which is better. Going to uni post 2012 or uni pre 2012.
I am due to start uni in 2013 and i am happy the course fees went up and so dis the payment threshold. Which mean you can earn more now with out paying it back.
If you earned £20k on the old system you would pay back £37 a month and on the new system if you earned £20k then you wouldn't pay back anything. By my calculations thats a saving of £444 a year better off than previously

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending