The Student Room Group

Julian Assange, Neo Nazis, et al.

Or : Why is WikiLeaks employing a well-known Holocaust denier and his disgraced son?

Wahlström and Shamir, father and son, are the WikiLeaks representatives for two rather large geographic areas. According to Swedish Radio’s investigation, Wahlström is the gatekeeper of the cables in Scandinavia, and “has the power to decide” which newspapers are provided access and what leaks they are allowed to see.

Read the article in full here.

More concerning figures are here.

What impression do these articles now make you have of Wikileaks?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People in these circles tend to have extreme views. Would't be surprised if there were a few hardcore militant commies working with him to. Anyway he is releasing pure information so his beliefs do not really matter
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12
People in these circles tend to have extreme views. Would't be surprised if there were a few hardcore militant commies working with him to. Anyway he is releasing pure information so his beliefs do not really matter

As the first article makes clear, the power to release documents on Wikileaks behalf has led to false information been released by the people that work for Assange.
Reply 3
So you attempt to discredit a whole organization by throwing up dirt on one or two members?
Reply 4
Original post by PoliceStory
As the first article makes clear, the power to release documents on Wikileaks behalf has led to false information been released by the people that work for Assange.

Like what? I have not heard anything about false info
Reply 5
just because you disagree with someone's views that does not make that person or his views wrong. you need to learn to stop being so bigoted. your hypocrisy does nothing but invalidates your argument.
Reply 6
Original post by Broderss
just because you disagree with someone's views that does not make that person or his views wrong. you need to learn to stop being so bigoted. your hypocrisy does nothing but invalidates your argument.

so being a Nazi, believing that you are better than someone else because of your ethnicity, is not wrong?
Reply 7
Original post by dnaalpha
so being a Nazi, believing that you are better than someone else because of your ethnicity, is not wrong?

I think it is wrong, but that's his belief so what gives us the right to tell him he's wrong and that he isn't allowed his own beliefs? It's hypocritical to use your freedoms to try to remove others'.
Reply 8
Original post by Broderss
I think it is wrong, but that's his belief so what gives us the right to tell him he's wrong and that he isn't allowed his own beliefs? It's hypocritical to use your freedoms to try to remove others'.

he has the right to be a nazi but we have a duty to challenge people who have those views
Reply 9
he has the right to be a nazi but we have a duty to challenge people who have those views

*******s do we, we have a duty to allow people to make up their own damn minds.

the soviets had a 'duty' to 'challenge' people who disagreed with their views, i.e. the purges and the 60,000,000 deaths that followed..
pfft, as other people have said, no false info has been reported on to my knowledge. Their beliefs don't affect the information given out. They can believe whatever they like if it does not affect other people.
A lot of grammatical errors in this article..... well I have spotted about two.
Reply 12
Weird people in the org. even if we believe (for some reason) that they'd never lie or be unknowingly manipulated, How do we know that they aren't suppressing leaks that run counter to their prejudices? Telling half the story is as misleading as telling porkies.

who is this self appointed watchdog accountable to apart from it's members?

Can't understand the current fashionable bien pensant infatuation with Assange tbh.

seems to be entirely down to a recent crop of leaks that resonate nicely with fashionable pseudo progressive anti-americanism afaict.
Reply 14

Well the whole point of freedom of speech really is that a Nazi will tell us their views and we will then argue against them. At least that's how it would work in a rational society

Stimulate debate
Reply 15
Original post by Aj12
Anyway he is releasing pure information so his beliefs do not really matter

How do we know this?

Evidently he doesn't release everything, he has explicitly told us just as much.
Reply 16
Original post by Aeolus
How do we know this?

Evidently he doesn't release everything, he has explicitly told us just as much.

What reason would he have to hold anything back? Someone like Julian Assange would not ask him to look after the info if he knew he would screw with it. Plus from what I have heard a couple of Gurdian journalists were given memo sticks with all the cables on as well
Reply 17
Original post by Aj12
Well the whole point of freedom of speech really is that a Nazi will tell us their views and we will then argue against them. At least that's how it would work in a rational society

Stimulate debate

yeah completely agree, its like the BNP being on question time. they did terribly in the election because people could see them for what they really were.
Reply 18
Original post by Chimaira
*******s do we, we have a duty to allow people to make up their own damn minds.

the soviets had a 'duty' to 'challenge' people who disagreed with their views, i.e. the purges and the 60,000,000 deaths that followed..

yeah they can make up their own minds, and they of course have the freedom to think what they want, but nearly 400,000 British people didn't give their lives to defeat fascism only for us to allow neo-Nazi's to go around preaching hatred and for us to not even tell them we think its wrong?!
Reply 19
This is an ad-hominem argument. You're covering the bigger picture and not confronting what Wikileaks is all about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending